I have a BlackBerry Q10 and, up to this point, I have not found battery life to be anywhere near as good as people say, with 6 hours of juice on average with moderate - heavy use (SMS, Whatsapp, Twitter, email). This is on Globe's network in the Philippines.

After using only 2G for extended periods of time, I have noticed better performance, but still nowhere in the 2 day range. I don't want to stay on 2G speeds, but 3G and up causes the phone to overheat and gulp battery life.

I noticed that there is a "multiple network mode" option in which I can specify multiple radio types for my data connection (ex. 4G and 3G and 2G, 3G and 2G). My initial impression was that this would turn on more radios, and cause battery to drain faster, but it is also possible that it would fallback to the most available frequency, making it more efficient than constantly searching for a 4G signal.

TL;DR: Is it better for battery life to run a network mode of "4G and 3G and 2G" or just "4G"?
    10-13-14 02:09 AM
    I've been pondering this for a while and come to the conclusion that it's dependent on the network in the areas you usually roam in.

For example, there is some 4G coverage in the city here, but none outside. If I set my networks to 4G and 3G, I get noticeably less performance than with just 3G enabled.

Posted via CB10
    Miguel Arcilla likes this.
    10-13-14 02:19 AM
    I've been pondering this for a while and come to the conclusion that it's dependent on the network in the areas you usually roam in.

For example, there is some 4G coverage in the city here, but none outside. If I set my networks to 4G and 3G, I get noticeably less performance than with just 3G enabled.

Posted via CB10
    Yea, that's what I was wondering as well. All this time I thought that if I just used the 3g or 4g radio, it would be more efficient. But it looks like network switching and poor coverage are really doing a number on my radios. So far 4g and 3g and 2g has kept the device cooler than normal

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 03:29 AM
    No where near two days? Is that going from 6 hours to 24 hours plus? And why do you think your Q10 is suposed to last 48 hours while it is known that 24 hours is already great Performance?
    10-13-14 03:35 AM
    No where near two days? Is that going from 6 hours to 24 hours plus? And why do you think your Q10 is suposed to last 48 hours while it is known that 24 hours is already great Performance?
    The two days assumption came from reviews I had read and forum posts claiming to get that kind of performance. I'm not expecting two days, but I would like to at least make it a day without having to plug in more than once.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 04:15 AM
    On medium to heavy usage, the battery last for 18h minimum (battery under 1 year old).
    The "multiple" network option as you say, means that the higher available network is chosen first. Set this option to only 4G is bad if you are not totally covered, or if you're moving, as the phone search for the network.
    My advice, if you have 4G coverage, let it with the 3 networks, if you're moving in your car, set it to 3G and 2G, if you're moving underground (metro), set it to 2G only.
    10-13-14 04:46 AM
    I have a BlackBerry Q10 and, up to this point, I have not found battery life to be anywhere near as good as people say, with 6 hours of juice on average with moderate - heavy use (SMS, Whatsapp, Twitter, email). This is on Globe's network in the Philippines.

After using only 2G for extended periods of time, I have noticed better performance, but still nowhere in the 2 day range. I don't want to stay on 2G speeds, but 3G and up causes the phone to overheat and gulp battery life.

I noticed that there is a "multiple network mode" option in which I can specify multiple radio types for my data connection (ex. 4G and 3G and 2G, 3G and 2G). My initial impression was that this would turn on more radios, and cause battery to drain faster, but it is also possible that it would fallback to the most available frequency, making it more efficient than constantly searching for a 4G signal.

TL;DR: Is it better for battery life to run a network mode of "4G and 3G and 2G" or just "4G"?
    Don't know about any two days thingy if used lightly you should get 24 hours moderately you should get 12-16 hours and heavy you should get 6-10 hours that's my experience with the battery life and from what I've seen and heard from other people. The thing that uses the most battery is android apps so if you have no android apps you might get some better battery life then what I wrote here

Posted via the awesome power of BlackBerry 10 on one of my lovely devices probably my beautiful beast called Z30 or my great Q10 or my lovely Z10
    10-13-14 05:11 AM
    Not only using option for 3G and 2G only brings more life time. Here in Germany we've 4 networks. Every time the Q is checking for network it's checking an all selected frequencies (2G/3G/4G) also on all available networks = 12 checks at one moment. If set the networksearch to manually and select your provider you'll reduce this to one quarter. 2G and 3G only in my providers network = 2 checks instead of 12.
    At normal use (mail, calls, fb, twitter, ebay and so on) I'm always over one day. On low usage days I get 2 days.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 07:06 AM
    I am a Globe user too. Whatsapp drains my battery quick in my Q10.
    Maybe you're in area with not so good signal?
    I dont keep my apps open. After using I close it. When Im out my 3g is always on it can last me 12-15 hrs and when im on wifi the whole day it last longer. But I have occassional problem with it sometimes for no reason the battery gets hot even not using it . When it does I will turn it. Off for a few a minute.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-14 11:22 PM
    After 7 months in the Philippines I see that Globe on 3G signal consumes much more juice than my carrier 3G in Italy. So I think that there is a radio problem maybe with Globe....I don't know, I am not technician.

Depending where you are, 3G only works pretty well on Philippines. I can do one full day with moderate use, with heavy use I arrive at 7 pm at least, starting on 8 am my work.

I hope it helps

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 12:20 AM
    I didn't think that Whatsapp would do so much damage. I close all of my apps as well, I'm really particular about keeping the phone as relaxed as possible, but even then, 12 hours is not realistic for me. I'm going to experiment going without data for a few days and see how it fares Thanks for the inputs!
    10-15-14 03:59 AM
    It depends very much on your carrier and proximity to the nearest base station. For me, in Singapore on the Starhub network, I'm getting about 12 hours of battery life on 2G mode, with low-normal usage (BBM, WeChat, emails, SMS, music). On heavy usage (BBM, WeChat, emails, SMS, 2 hours of music playback), I'm getting about 8 -10 hours on 2G mode. I try not to use 3G mode much as I find it really taxes the battery life (usually about 5-6 hours under heavy usage). Having said that, my experience with the Q10 is that it hands down beats all other smartphones (with the exception of phablets) in terms of battery life. I've seen Galaxy S3 & S4 units go from 100% to 0% in under 3 hours with heavy usage - same for the iPhones. So the Q10 is already very good.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 04:05 AM
    My experience with Whatsapp is that it severely impacts battery life on any platform. Another reason why I've removed it.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 04:10 AM
    I prefer to find native app alternatives for android apps. Android apps are generally lazy when it comes to power efficiency. I've read somewhere that even if you close the app in the active frames Window, the android app keeps using power. Check your app permissions and make sure that you remove 'run in background' permissions.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-14 08:38 PM