Have a few ideas to improve typing on q10. Add the following shortcuts while typing:

Alt+backspace: delete whole word (kind of like swiping left on a z10 keyboard - helps delete words or sentences faster/more efficiently.)

Left shift + backspace: move cursor one space to the left. No deleting words. Good alternative to the screen cursor.

Left shift + right shift: move cursor one space to the right. Good alternative to the screen cursor.

What do you guys think? Reply if you think is a good idea so hopefully some BlackBerry engineers will see it and then add this to the next update.

Posted via CB10
    madraving likes this.
    06-02-13 07:08 PM
    sounds pretty workable to me
    06-02-13 07:14 PM
  3. luis orfilio revuelta mesana's Avatar
    As an insane architect that has to deal with a thought process from a user perspective, and make sure we deliver proper functioning buildings on time and budget as much as possible, I continue like a fool to purchase Black Berry phones with a key board, that continue to regress in an effort to be either an I Phone wanna be or a bi-polar split personality device like the 9900 and Q10.
    I dislike intensively touch screen phones and much less the logic or lack thereof the Cupertino Products have. Yet RIM in a down spiral, rather than stand their ground and improve a product that was solid as a business device, continues on what it seems a Kamakasi mission to self destruct itself.

Why in heavens not just give the option to deactivate the sensory screen to those of us that not give a damn about an interactive screen..???????!!!!!!!!

I insanely purchased the Porsche Blackberry, and eventually, returned it because the sensor that lights the keyboard could not be adjusted since the well and thinly proportioned letters and graphics could not be read properly in certain light conditions.
    I purchased the Z10 in the hope, it would function smarter than my non-upgraded 4s I phone , (so I can use the maps,), and I am returning it before the 14 days are over.
    I proceeded to order a Q10 the same day I purchased the Z10, and of course the same frustrating, insane , regressing, non logical issues, all of you in a very intelligent and polite way are complaining in these blogs are consistent in the Q10.
    In the Q10 manual it says in page 32 " what makes my Blackberry 10 device DIFFERENT from other Blackberry devices", first it should have said " BETTER", but it would not have bern accurate,,,,at this point, as a die hard, BB, user it hurts to tell everybody that has asked me and continue to make fun of me for being a BB defender,, it is " WORSE",,, at this point I am also returning the Q10, and may have to join the ranks of the Samsungnites,,,,,please help,,,,,,a keyboard device and the ability to move cursors during typing, and to other files without having to place your " greasy bugger", finger on a screen, that reacts to unwanted commands is what make BB great and the most logical device in the market,,
    Stay in that sector and compete with Cupertino and the others with the Z10, but please, please, do not continue to make live miserable, to those of us that need a logical, sensible, efficient and intelligent, business device.,,,,before you go out of business,,,,please, for your sake and ours, those of us that still hope there is some common sense at RIM.
    luis revuelta architect
    06-29-13 10:16 PM
    As an insane architect that has to deal with a thought process from a user perspective, and make sure we deliver proper functioning buildings on time and budget as much as possible, I continue like a fool to purchase Black Berry phones with a key board, that continue to regress in an effort to be either an I Phone wanna be or a bi-polar split personality device like the 9900 and Q10.
    I dislike intensively touch screen phones and much less the logic or lack thereof the Cupertino Products have. Yet RIM in a down spiral, rather than stand their ground and improve a product that was solid as a business device, continues on what it seems a Kamakasi mission to self destruct itself.

Why in heavens not just give the option to deactivate the sensory screen to those of us that not give a damn about an interactive screen..???????!!!!!!!!

I insanely purchased the Porsche Blackberry, and eventually, returned it because the sensor that lights the keyboard could not be adjusted since the well and thinly proportioned letters and graphics could not be read properly in certain light conditions.
    I purchased the Z10 in the hope, it would function smarter than my non-upgraded 4s I phone , (so I can use the maps,), and I am returning it before the 14 days are over.
    I proceeded to order a Q10 the same day I purchased the Z10, and of course the same frustrating, insane , regressing, non logical issues, all of you in a very intelligent and polite way are complaining in these blogs are consistent in the Q10.
    In the Q10 manual it says in page 32 " what makes my Blackberry 10 device DIFFERENT from other Blackberry devices", first it should have said " BETTER", but it would not have bern accurate,,,,at this point, as a die hard, BB, user it hurts to tell everybody that has asked me and continue to make fun of me for being a BB defender,, it is " WORSE",,, at this point I am also returning the Q10, and may have to join the ranks of the Samsungnites,,,,,please help,,,,,,a keyboard device and the ability to move cursors during typing, and to other files without having to place your " greasy bugger", finger on a screen, that reacts to unwanted commands is what make BB great and the most logical device in the market,,
    Stay in that sector and compete with Cupertino and the others with the Z10, but please, please, do not continue to make live miserable, to those of us that need a logical, sensible, efficient and intelligent, business device.,,,,before you go out of business,,,,please, for your sake and ours, those of us that still hope there is some common sense at RIM.
    luis revuelta architect
    I think OP wants a trackpad ...hard to say.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 06-29-13 at 11:19 PM.
    06-29-13 10:23 PM
    Wash your thumb, bro.

Posted via CB10
    yunique likes this.
    06-29-13 10:37 PM
  6. luis orfilio revuelta mesana's Avatar
    You, bet,,,A track pad was a clever device as good as a mouse in a PC,, the mouse has not gone away,, why has the track pad in the Q 10,, ?
    06-30-13 06:16 PM
  7. luis orfilio revuelta mesana's Avatar
    I do not use my thumb but my index finger,,, although at this rate I might be use the middle finger and maybe a second finger if BB keeps making these stupid design mistakes,,,,
    06-30-13 06:19 PM
    Honestly I wouldn't mind the track wheel when selecting text.

Posted via Q10RR
    06-30-13 06:27 PM
  9. luis orfilio revuelta mesana's Avatar
    I hope the track, pad/ wheel comes back before RIM goes under, and believe me I hope they do not,, but in the mean time your suggestions are clever, but hope is a temporary software fix and not a permanent solution,,good thinking,,,
    06-30-13 07:04 PM
    I always felt the removal of the trackpad was a bad idea. So many people push for Blackberry to follow iPhone/Android and they did that but they went too far. They changed too much. They left out too many good things. They didn't plan the new things all that well. All of it is gold to the ears of people who wanted the iBerry phone. But, to the rest of us, the keyboarders, it's not very well thought out.

Anyway this is my idea..

Software trackpad.
    I think the space for the menu section is too large and a misuse of space. Push those "buttons" around to make some space in the middle for a software trackpad - a zone that pops up to aid in text selection. Tap the area you want you select. Trackpad pops up. Use it just as you would the old trackpad. If you're off by a few letters or a line, just place the cursor as necessary. Tap again to start selection. Tap a final time to bring up options or have option already available when you start text selection.

Another form of trackpad would be to utilize the whole menu section as the trackpad when text selection is brought up.

Even better would be the ability to have options. Maybe you want just the "legacy" trackpad in the middle. Or, "check here" for the whole menu section to be the trackpad. Change the image or texture. Use a slider to control how fast the text is selected. OPTIONS...
    06-30-13 07:09 PM
    There does not need to be any trackpads on BlackBerry 10 powered smartphones. What purpose would a trackpad have on a BlackBerry 10 phone? Nothing.

What part of "gesture based UI" don't you people get? The phone is SO easy to use and works way better than the legacy UI and there is a reason there is no trackpad, because it does not need a friggin' trackpad. What can't you understand about how to use your BlackBerry 10 phone? How come I find it perfectly adaptable and completely intuitive, but you don't?

BlackBerry 10 is the easiest OS to use, ever. If you find using a BlackBerry 10 phone to be difficult - than its clearly not for you and you need a BlackBerry 7 phone with the old OS and trackpad. Hope you're happy being frustrated.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 07:55 PM
    There does not need to be any trackpads on BlackBerry 10 powered smartphones. What purpose would a trackpad have on a BlackBerry 10 phone? Nothing.

What part of "gesture based UI" don't you people get? The phone is SO easy to use and works way better than the legacy UI and there is a reason there is no trackpad, because it does not need a friggin' trackpad. What can't you understand about how to use your BlackBerry 10 phone? How come I find it perfectly adaptable and completely intuitive, but you don't?

BlackBerry 10 is the easiest OS to use, ever. If you find using a BlackBerry 10 phone to be difficult - than its clearly not for you and you need a BlackBerry 7 phone with the old OS and trackpad. Hope you're happy being frustrated.

Posted via CB10
    ^^^BS...

the text selection is horrible by any comparison - iPhone, Android, WP8, OS7. what do you think people are complaining about? or, somewhere in your brain do you imagine you're the only person using a BB phone. calm down. go smoke something. you sound like all the idiots who complain about not needing a physical keyboard. it's not about what you think people need. it's about what people say they WANT. give it a rest. go find a better cause to champion. go hug a tree.
    06-30-13 08:01 PM
    ^^THIS. The omission of the trackpad was the single greatest ERROR that BlackBerry team made in creating BB10. Nobody asked for a damn gesture based UI, IT is NOT as efficient as legacy devices. If you disagree you have absolutely no clue how be a BlackBerry power user. BlackBerry is innovating for the sake of innovating. All those old devices needed were better hardware (cameras, larger high res screens, processor), and an improved browser and app quality! They got app potential and a superb brower in bb10 but FFS the trackpad + home row keys are what made a BlackBerry! This Q10 I hold in my hand is NOT a BlackBerry (not even mentioning the sorry excuse for a notifcation system, and they cant even get auto edit text right). Its so inefficient. Give me the BBOS philosophy and keys with the stability and speed of QNX and you have the perfect device.
    07-02-13 10:56 PM
    I disagree.

I think that BB10 is just as efficient, but in a different way. Sure, BBOS was more efficient in some ways, and BB10 is more efficient in some ways.

First of all, Peak and Flow is a god send. Secondly, the keyboard is BETTER, particularly the virtual one. The browser is muuuuuch better, and THAT is so essential for my work, it's not even funny. The camera and video camera is better, which is used a LOT for my work. HDMI (kaaaaching!!!!) ...

I absolutely miss the trackpad. REALLY miss the trackpad, however, you cannot say that BlackBerry 10 as a whole is far behind BlackBerry OS 7.

My suggestion to help fix the TrackPad issue would be to make the bottom lip one big trackpad. That way it would be soooo easily accessible for both thumbs. I would NOT want to see a Trackpad between the screen and keyboard. I like having the option of the word suggestions.

Make the bottom lip a nice big black glossy trackpad.

What do you guys think?

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    Daniel Dan likes this.
    07-02-13 11:30 PM
    I want the shift key and enter key to put a break in my text. Whenever I do alt + enter, the languages always come up.

Or just make the enter key not send the message. Not sure how they left that option out...

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 12:21 AM
    Bottom lip trackpad FTW! I would love to see new BlackBerry with this feature!

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 01:04 AM
    Bottom lip trackpad FTW! I would love to see new BlackBerry with this feature!

Posted via CB10
    I love you

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    07-03-13 06:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Why, with such a perfect gesture based OS, are you even interested in the Q10? It has a KEYBOARD. A throwback, if you will. Surely you, being so adaptable couldn't possibly still need to use a keyboard?? Aren't the awesome gestures enough?

For me it's not about intuition or adaptibility, it's about ease of use. I don't want to have to change my grip on the phone mid typing to reach up to the screen (my hands are not big enough not to have to change grip). And this is my first BlackBerry so I have no history with the legacy UI. It's just obvious that some kind of keyboard based navigation makes sense.
    07-03-13 07:02 AM