I'm not entirely dumb, yet I cannot select and copy text on my Q10.

Tutorials say to tap and then selct, but when I tap nothing happens.

I miss my trackpad for this one reason.
    11-10-13 04:33 AM
    First the text selection highly depends on the app you are using. For example trying to copy and paste some text out of the CrackBerry10 app doesn't work. Unless you're in the editing window where you're writing an actual text.

Basicly it works like the tutorial says:
    You just tap and hold a word for a short time, 1-2 seconds. Then release your finger and you'll see the marked text as well as two pointers on each end of the word. With these markers you can further increase your selection.
    Some apps support longer taps to select more text: Basicly it selects a single word per default first, however if you keep holding it starts to select the whole sentence, then the whole paragraph and finally stops with the complete text. However this again depends on the app.

Sometime shift+click is also supported. Right now I'm writing this post on the CB10 app. When I hold my shift-key and tap somewhere on the previous written text, the app marks the text back to the point where I tapped. Yet it seems again not every app supports this.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    Henry Jr, josh05 and bigedschukar like this.
    11-10-13 05:11 AM
    It's a huge pain.
    11-12-13 08:25 PM
    First the text selection highly depends on the app you are using. For example trying to copy and paste some text out of the CrackBerry10 app doesn't work. Unless you're in the editing window where you're writing an actual text.

Basicly it works like the tutorial says:
    You just tap and hold a word for a short time, 1-2 seconds. Then release your finger and you'll see the marked text as well as two pointers on each end of the word. With these markers you can further increase your selection.
    Some apps support longer taps to select more text: Basicly it selects a single word per default first, however if you keep holding it starts to select the whole sentence, then the whole paragraph and finally stops with the complete text. However this again depends on the app.

Sometime shift+click is also supported. Right now I'm writing this post on the CB10 app. When I hold my shift-key and tap somewhere on the previous written text, the app marks the text back to the point where I tapped. Yet it seems again not every app supports this.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    Great post!

Posted via CB10 from my Q10 (SQN100-3)
    11-12-13 08:38 PM
    You will get used to it
    11-12-13 10:22 PM
    Just leave it at this: ugly at worst and weak at best.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 10:23 PM
    Selecting and trying to get cursor in a word to correct something tedious and annoying. Really the weakest part of bb10 in my opinion. I don't think I will get used to it. I am putting up with it but can not be proud of it. Not sure how other touch screens deal with this. Maybe it the norm

10.2 working well
    aussie99 likes this.
    11-12-13 11:11 PM
    Selecting and trying to get cursor in a word to correct something tedious and annoying. Really the weakest part of bb10 in my opinion. I don't think I will get used to it. I am putting up with it but can not be proud of it. Not sure how other touch screens deal with this. Maybe it the norm

10.2 working well
    When the circle comes up try and just tap the left side or right side of the circle it will move 1 letter over in the direction you want to go. also works for up and down. That seems to work best for me. I have trouble dragging the circle to the right position. Although drag works well for getting to the very beginning of my text or e-mail.
    RegN likes this.
    11-14-13 11:58 AM
    It's a huge pain.
    Did you ever install one of the 10.2 leaks? The process is much easier on 10.2.
    11-14-13 12:44 PM
    Agree...MUCH easier in 10.2. Head and shoulders better than iOS 7.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 01:35 PM
    All-in-all, the ability to select text is dependent on the app you are trying to do it in. For example, it is impossible to select and copy text in Twitter without "quoting" or "retweeting". Kind of a pain.
    11-14-13 01:42 PM
    Not true. You can copy the tweet and paste it in anything. At least you can in 10.2.
    All-in-all, the ability to select text is dependent on the app you are trying to do it in. For example, it is impossible to select and copy text in Twitter without "quoting" or "retweeting". Kind of a pain.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 02:11 PM
    Can you tell me how? I am in my feed. I click a tweet. Then I see no option to copy it. Holding my finger down on a word doesn't highlight it either.

I am running 10.2.0.4XXXX

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 03:27 PM
    Touch the tweet and hold down until the menu on the right pops up. At the bottom, click on the clipboard icon. It is the copy tweet function. Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    TomasTT likes this.
    11-14-13 03:43 PM
    You are the MAN!!!!

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 04:24 PM
    Ha..no worries. Most of these functions are hidden.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 04:27 PM
    Yes. Pain.

Did you ever install one of the 10.2 leaks? The process is much easier on 10.2.
    Yes, I'm on 10.2.

Touch the tweet and hold down until the menu on the right pops up. At the bottom, click on the clipboard icon. It is the copy tweet function. Hope that helps.

Posted via CB10
    No, that copies the entire tweet. You still can't copy a few words only.
    11-14-13 08:22 PM
    Um...that's why I called it the copy tweet function.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 08:37 PM
    When the circle comes up try and just tap the left side or right side of the circle it will move 1 letter over in the direction you want to go. also works for up and down. That seems to work best for me. I have trouble dragging the circle to the right position. Although drag works well for getting to the very beginning of my text or e-mail.
    That tappin the sides is huge help. Thankyou. Tried it a bit and have not had the urge to pull my arm back and paste the phone to the wall. That is a good thing.

Leaked 10.2.1. Couldn't resist
    tex3523 likes this.
    11-14-13 11:20 PM
    Selecting and trying to get cursor in a word to correct something tedious and annoying.
    I still find the cursor circle to be problematic to work with.

Is there a simple way that I am missing to bring the cursor quickly to the far left of the screen to edit or add text from the front end. I find it so hard to do this using the ``circle``.
    11-20-13 11:04 AM
    It's not you. It took me months before I could copy/paste. It's the one thing I really don't like about the Q10.
    11-23-13 06:42 PM
    Tap until you see the attached. Sometimes the circle comes first so just try to tap again. Then you drag that tear drop thing. It takes longer than using the old BlackBerry hopefully they can do something about it to make it better when we copy and paste easier. Well maybe I get than hang of it in future.
    I still don't know how to Select text :(-img_00000280.png

I still don't know how to Select text :(-img_00000281.png

Posted via the Amazing Q10 10.2.0.415
    11-23-13 11:04 PM
    Or tap to the left of the share icon, and it will select all.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 11:18 PM
    Tap and hold a word to select it (blue highlight). You can let go once it highlights. You should get options for Cut, Copy, Paste and Share. Hold and drag the blue tear drops to select more. The blue tear drops become larger with a line pointing up. The tip of that line (above your finger) is where the selection starts.

To place the cursor somewhere tap the general area you want and the bubble comes up. You can tap the top, bottom or left and right side of the circle to move the cursor one spot in that direction i.e. one line up/down or one letter left/right. Tap and hold the marks on the bottom left or right (it turns blue) and you can drag the cursor (in the middle of the circle) to a different spot. Notice when dragging the bubble or the tear drops around the actual cursor is placed above your finger not below it so you can see what you're selecting.

This is so tricky to learn. So you know: Tap = tap screen and let go. Tap and hold = tap once and keep your finger on the screen. Hold and drag = same as tap and hold but drag finger around screen.

I hope that helps. Practice makes perfect. Trust me this editing method is really quite well implemented for a touchscreen. It is quite similar to other devices except for the circle.
    11-23-13 11:53 PM