Hey Guys. First of all, having owned a number of phones in my life (and one iPad) I've been a member of a number of different forums and I have to say this one is leaps and bounds better than the rest. There's a different quality of people who own Blackberries so I just wanted to say thanks, you're all wonderful

Okay now that you're all sufficiently buttered up:

When I bought my Q10 (which is AMAZING) I ordered a Black one but after it was DOA and a great fiasco they were only able to send me a white one.

So I'm wondering if it would be worth the trouble to buy a replacement screen and housing and switch it over myself? What would YOU do if your Blackberry wasn't in the colour you wanted? What do you think of the installation process? Is it terribly risky?
    10-07-14 04:46 PM
    You will have to change the keyboard also. I don't think is worth the hassle but who am I to decide for you. If you really want to change it go for it.

Visit my BBM Channel ~ C000E96F6
    10-07-14 04:50 PM
    Watch some YouTube videos to judge if you can handle it.

Years ago I ruined my Tour by taking it apart just to replace the trackball. And I never knew what it was I did wrong.

So yeah there is some risk.

Z10STL100-4/10.3.0.1052
    10-07-14 06:09 PM
    I had the problem when I went to get the q10 for my gf she wanted black but the black one they had was used so the Rogers guy said we only has white the only black one is used she said ok that's fine I fix my own phones you got to be very careful when taking them apart it's very easy to brake something

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 06:26 PM
    Get a black case?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 06:41 PM
    You could look for a deal on a black one online (Craigslist or eBay maybe?) If you are good with tinkering then maybe you could watch the video tutorials and try it yourself. I think we've had some members do a housing swap. Check for their threads too. Most seemed to have done it with no damage.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 08:23 PM
    I've taken the q10 apart 3 times, twice without issue, the other time I broke the ribbon connection on the motherboard for the display and had to replace the unit...

Posted via CB10
    10-07-14 08:26 PM
    I switched out the black bezel for a silver one on my black Q10 and it was pretty straight forward. For you to go from fully white to fully black however you will need to replace the keyboard, OLED screen, Bezel, top camera cover, battery cover, and bottom chin under the keyboard...the only think that would be left is the motherboard itself. Depending on cost and where you got all these parts from it would probably be easier to look for a deal on a completely new or used black Q10.
    Here's a picture of how mine turned out...
    I can't decide whether to bite the bullet and do it or not...-q10-silver2.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Melliejoy likes this.
    10-07-14 08:30 PM
    It's not hard to take apart, but you'd have to lose that sticker under the battery that has your serial number and imei sticker and the little images showing how to insert your sim. It's attached to the screen so changing the screen means losing that. It's not a big deal really. I actually just peeled mine off and stuck it to the new screen I have, so if you remove my battery you'll see that backing is all crumpled, lol. I just wanted to keep the sticker with the serial and imei just in case I lose the box...

Besides that though, there are sets on ebay that can change everything on your phone over to black. Will cost you around $45. And then you'll need the right tools because BB decided to use torx screws...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Melliejoy likes this.
    10-07-14 09:10 PM
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...item3ce214df2f

I've bought from this guy before, he's legit. That's everything you'll need for $45. I recommend you keep your frame to have that old Bold or Classic look. :-)

Edit: Actually, it doesn't appear to have the battery door though... I think I have a spare black battery door laying around. If you want to send it to me (as long as you live in the USA, otherwise the shipping costs won't be worth it)and order that kit to be sent to my address I can do the swap for you and I'll throw in the battery door I have (it's just been sitting there, don't think I'll need it), just pay for return shipping. (with the possible double typing issue floating around, I'll send you your old keyboard back, and I recommend you hold on to it just in case...)

Melliejoy likes this.
    10-07-14 09:19 PM
    If you list your white one for trade to a black one, I am certain you will have taker the first day.
    Melliejoy likes this.
    10-08-14 10:58 AM
    If you list your white one for trade to a black one, I am certain you will have taker the first day.
    Ditto this, I know I want a white one as AT&T doesn't sell white ones down here.
    10-08-14 11:04 AM
    Blackberry Q10 Black LCD Screen and Digitizer Assembly Complete Black Housing | eBay

I've bought from this guy before, he's legit. That's everything you'll need for $45. I recommend you keep your frame to have that old Bold or Classic look. :-)

Edit: Actually, it doesn't appear to have the battery door though... I think I have a spare black battery door laying around. If you want to send it to me (as long as you live in the USA, otherwise the shipping costs won't be worth it)and order that kit to be sent to my address I can do the swap for you and I'll throw in the battery door I have (it's just been sitting there, don't think I'll need it), just pay for return shipping. (with the possible double typing issue floating around, I'll send you your old keyboard back, and I recommend you hold on to it just in case...)

Thanks heaps for your offer, that would be amazing.
    However I'm Australian and yeah, shipping would cost a fortune.

I do love that black look with the silver bezel running around the side.
    10-08-14 08:32 PM
    I can't believe I never actually thought of that. Over here in Australia we have our own version of Craigslist called 'Grumtree'. I might head over there now and see what's what. Thanks!

EDIT In fact I'll even throw it out here. As I said I'm living in Australia and I have the SQN 100-3 Blackberry Q10. If anyone does want to swap a black one for my white one let me know. I'm happy to arrange postage and stuff.
    10-08-14 08:33 PM
    I can't believe I never actually thought of that. Over here in Australia we have our own version of Craigslist called 'Grumtree'. I might head over there now and see what's what. Thanks!

EDIT In fact I'll even throw it out here. As I said I'm living in Australia and I have the SQN 100-3 Blackberry Q10. If anyone does want to swap a black one for my white one let me know. I'm happy to arrange postage and stuff.
    Did you see the marketplace section of these forums? That will be a great place to post the trade. :-)

10-08-14 08:44 PM
    Grumtree..................
    10-08-14 09:02 PM
    Yeah I wouldn't take it apart. If you have the courage to do so, seek out a site that sells OEM housings.

Avoid Chinese junk from ebay no matter how appealing it looks.

Posted via CB10
    Melliejoy likes this.
    10-09-14 09:03 PM