The Q 10 is the best physical keyboard smartphone on the market! There are so many phones to choose from and not all will satisfy everyone's needs.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 05:01 PM
    Picked up my first BB10 device Wednesday. I have wanted the Q since it came out. I am no stranger to BB and QWERTY keyboards, so this would be an obvious choice for me. Took the SIM out of my Samsung Galaxy SIII, and started my Q10 up.

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion and my observances/experiences. This is not a slam on the device, carrier or operating system, or this forum.

I am underwhelmed. I think that I expected more, and am getting less. There are some things that I like, so I will start with those first.

The phone itself, including the keyboard. Amazing. I missed having a physical keyboard, and this device delivers! Best keyboard on any phone that I have ever used, including the Torch and 9930 that I had. The feel of it in hand is very rich, expensive, fancy, however you want to put it. Solid. It feels like it has some substance to it, not flimsy, not chintzy or cheap. The screen is nice, not the best, but nice.

Things that are neutral. LED notification, profiles, autotext. Had all three set up on my SIII. Profiles are not as customizable on the SIII, but an app still allows for them, so that is good enough for me.

Here is where everything seems to fall apart for me. Using the device. I don't like the hub. Call me crazy, but I like things to be separated out into individual areas, like email, SMS, and BBM. I don't need that all in one place. In the past, I would often have several email conversations going, multiple SMS conversations going, and then a few BBM conversations going all at the same time. It was nice, at least for me, to have that entirely separate from each other.

I don't like the swiping, which is crazy because I am coming from an all touch screen device. No back button seems archaic to me. I swipe to get out of the phone app, but the phone app is still open on my screen, so I need to touch the screen again to close it. The swiping seems so non intuitive, like you are forced to do it because they want you to, not because it is a natural thing. So a lot of this stuff is BB10 related, and not just the Q right? Well, in the SMS app, and I spend a lot of time in that, there just seems to be so much wasted screen space, especially when the screen is not that big to begin with. That kind of boggles my mind a little. It is nice that they have some shortcuts there, but it really eats into the screen real estate.

I am left feeling like there isn't anything with this phone that I can't do with another device like my GSIII aside from the keyboard. Will that keyboard be enough to keep me on this device?

I will probably get destroyed on here for posting this. I am ready for it. I don't or won't take it personally. I am trying really hard to make sure that I realize that this is not my Galaxy, never will be, and is a different device. I know that. I know that BB10 is very new, and will be updated hopefully to fix some small bugs, and to make the experience better. I am going to try and hold out and keep using it. I already swapped back to my GSIII yesterday, but last night I decided to give it another run. I want to love this phone and OS, but I am not sure that I will be able to.
    I can respect the swiping thing but you can separate the hub into its own segments

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 05:20 PM
    OK, let me try and help you with the Hub issue you have. I also didn't like it in the first week, but as Bla1ze said, you need some time to figure out options etc....etc...

First if all, you do not need everything to show up in one place.
    Do this:
    -Open up your Hub.
    -Look in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. You will see three little dots. (called an over flow menu/ look for this in every app etc....)
    - hit that and select settings.
    - hit hub management
    - example: hit text messages
    - select "Show In Separate Account Only".
    Do this for Text, Email, Bbm, Facebook, Twitter etc. After that, only updates and app notifications will show up in top heading "Hub"

Now, this is what I do to take it further. When you're in the same settings options as above...open up "calls" ....I select "Show in Hub Only".
    The result is in the photo below.
    So, the Hub heading on top contains Phone calls only. You can hide Headings you do not wish to show up in hub. Ie...Voice Mail, Text or whatever you don't want displayed. I take calls out of the hub menu. I also hide text message icon on main screen. . (used to hide bbm until channels came out) This makes you only use the hub and makes it less confusing for the first month of use. If you follow these settings, you will have exactly what you wish. Everything completely separated.

Take your time to know your phone. I swear, after a month, you won't stop trying to promote your Q10 to anyone who will listen. Also, BlackBerry has had three major updates in one year. It's constantly Improving.
    - you can also get apps like " power tools" to fully customize your phone. I'd wait a few months until you're more comfortable though.

I am....well....underwhelmed-img_20140208_182139.png

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by xBURK; 02-08-14 at 06:04 PM.
    02-08-14 05:35 PM
    Good to see you back in the forums heavy fluid. I hope the Q works out for you. If not you always have the SIII. Give the Q a chance though. I know I've grown to love bb10.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    02-08-14 06:03 PM
    I don't get the options in Hub Managent you speak of. I only can turn it on or off. Are you on 10.2.1? I'm on 10.2 still.
    OK, let me try and help you with the Hub issue you have. I also didn't like it in the first week, but as Bla1ze said, you need some time to figure out options etc....etc...

First if all, you do not need everything to show up in one place.
    Do this:
    -Open up your Hub.
    -Look in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. You will see three little dots. (called an over flow menu/ look for this in every app etc....)
    - hit that and select settings.
    - hit hub management
    - example: hit text messages
    - select "Show In Separate Account Only".
    Do this for Text, Email, Bbm, Facebook, Twitter etc. After that, only updates and app notifications will show up in top heading "Hub"

Now, this is what I do to take it further. When you're in the same settings options as above...open up "calls" ....I select "Show in Hub Only".
    The result is in the photo below.
    So, the Hub heading on top contains Phone calls only. You can hide Headings you do not wish to show up in hub. Ie...Voice Mail, Text or whatever you don't want displayed. I take calls out of the hub menu. I also hide text message icon on main screen. . (used to hide bbm until channels came out) This makes you only use the hub and makes it less confusing for the first month of use. If you follow these settings, you will have exactly what you wish. Everything completely separated.

Take your time to know your phone. I swear, after a month, you won't stop trying to promote your Q10 to anyone who will listen. Also, BlackBerry has had three major updates in one year. It's constantly Improving.
    - you can also get apps like " power tools" to fully customize your phone. I'd wait a few months until you're more comfortable though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140208_182139.png 
Views:	6429 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	246204

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 06:10 PM
    10.1 here and I don't have that option that is mentioned above.
    02-08-14 06:23 PM
    I will say 10.2.1 is a major upgrade over 10.1. But you'll have to load a leak if you want it today.

Posted via CB10
    southlander and todparsons like this.
    02-08-14 06:29 PM
    I don't get the options in Hub Managent you speak of. I only can turn it on or off. Are you on 10.2.1? I'm on 10.2 still.
    I have 10.2.1.
    Sorry about that.
    The OP can still get everything not to show up in the top Hub heading though. I just can't remember the option wording exactly. You just can't get the calls only in the Hub heading. . I've arranged mine this way since Feb 2013.
    Again, I should have stated "Show only" was new in 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 07:15 PM
    Are you expecting it soon?
    You can still get most of the options I spoke of...just can't remember the wording in hub settings?

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 07:20 PM
    Supposed to be out very soon, within days I think.
    02-08-14 08:02 PM
    OP just first impressions...you will love it....
    02-08-14 08:47 PM
    My Q10 is 10.1 and doesn't have the option but my Z30 came with 10.2.0.1233 and does have the option.
    02-08-14 10:29 PM
    My Q10 is 10.1 and doesn't have the option but my Z30 came with 10.2.0.1233 and does have the option.
    Yep, as soon as anyone has 10.2.1, these and many more options open up.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 10:51 PM
    OP.. Months on here on a Q10.. and yeah. Felt the same after 1day of use.. felt the same 30days after use and even though 10.2.x has helped, no matter how you slice it.. BB10 is just not as effecient as BB0S7. For little gain, we lost so much. Problem now is device and whether future Q will have call buttons, back arrow etc. I will just accept touchpad is forever gone which is a shame but if we buy keyboard phones give us the proper and full compliment of keys and make then customizable!

I too miss email folders, hate hub and perferred the message folder then hub.

So in 10.2.x they finally brought back email deletion of allowing on server when deleting a single email but when you select multiples emails .. you're stuck back at deleting only off device and server.. Freaking hell.. really... you fix one thing and do it as a band-aid and don't go the whole way..

You're not alone.. I was with a lawyer yesterday and saw his Q on his desk and asked what he thought.. he laughed and said.. what a mess.. and I chuckled..

Basically, so many professional users feel like us but don't have time to go on forums and complain about their dismay with how BB messed up BB10 and Z and Q phones.
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    02-08-14 11:15 PM
    Before considering switching back to your GSIII or other phone, make sure that you ha email learned every gesture and shortcut there is in the BlackBerry Q10, you cannot fully enjoy the device without knowing how to fully use it at its maximum potential.

The hub can be clustered at times. But once you know which icons belong to what account. Things seems to get easier. You can also always. "Filter" each messages/notification by clicking on the accounts on the left side. The gesture may be awkward at first, but with a few days, it'll become second nature and you'll wonder why other devices have not thought about it first.

I've never used the Q10, I've had the Z10 and recently the Z30... and I love the device! There is not device that can match the efficiency and fluidity this OS offers

But if you do change, sorry to hear that BlackBerry didn't appeal to your needs.

JC, the Asian guy that hates BlackBerry on YouTube
    02-08-14 11:32 PM
    Why are people always underwhelmed or overwhelmed? Why can't people just be.. you know.. whelmed? Like for example, I'm just whelmed at my cup of coffee. Why does nobody say that?

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 11:51 PM
    Ha. Well played.
    Why are people always underwhelmed or overwhelmed? Why can't people just be.. you know.. whelmed? Like for example, I'm just whelmed at my cup of coffee. Why does nobody say that?

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 11:55 PM
    Picked up my first BB10 device Wednesday. I have wanted the Q since it came out. I am no stranger to BB and QWERTY keyboards, so this would be an obvious choice for me. Took the SIM out of my Samsung Galaxy SIII, and started my Q10 up.

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion and my observances/experiences. This is not a slam on the device, carrier or operating system, or this forum.

I am underwhelmed. I think that I expected more, and am getting less. There are some things that I like, so I will start with those first.

The phone itself, including the keyboard. Amazing. I missed having a physical keyboard, and this device delivers! Best keyboard on any phone that I have ever used, including the Torch and 9930 that I had. The feel of it in hand is very rich, expensive, fancy, however you want to put it. Solid. It feels like it has some substance to it, not flimsy, not chintzy or cheap. The screen is nice, not the best, but nice.

Things that are neutral. LED notification, profiles, autotext. Had all three set up on my SIII. Profiles are not as customizable on the SIII, but an app still allows for them, so that is good enough for me.

Here is where everything seems to fall apart for me. Using the device. I don't like the hub. Call me crazy, but I like things to be separated out into individual areas, like email, SMS, and BBM. I don't need that all in one place. In the past, I would often have several email conversations going, multiple SMS conversations going, and then a few BBM conversations going all at the same time. It was nice, at least for me, to have that entirely separate from each other.

I don't like the swiping, which is crazy because I am coming from an all touch screen device. No back button seems archaic to me. I swipe to get out of the phone app, but the phone app is still open on my screen, so I need to touch the screen again to close it. The swiping seems so non intuitive, like you are forced to do it because they want you to, not because it is a natural thing. So a lot of this stuff is BB10 related, and not just the Q right? Well, in the SMS app, and I spend a lot of time in that, there just seems to be so much wasted screen space, especially when the screen is not that big to begin with. That kind of boggles my mind a little. It is nice that they have some shortcuts there, but it really eats into the screen real estate.

I am left feeling like there isn't anything with this phone that I can't do with another device like my GSIII aside from the keyboard. Will that keyboard be enough to keep me on this device?

I will probably get destroyed on here for posting this. I am ready for it. I don't or won't take it personally. I am trying really hard to make sure that I realize that this is not my Galaxy, never will be, and is a different device. I know that. I know that BB10 is very new, and will be updated hopefully to fix some small bugs, and to make the experience better. I am going to try and hold out and keep using it. I already swapped back to my GSIII yesterday, but last night I decided to give it another run. I want to love this phone and OS, but I am not sure that I will be able to.
    I wholeheartedly agree with your complaint about the sizes of stuff in the SMS app. It bothers me that changing the size of the font does not adjust the size of the borders either.

Anyhow, I do feel like some of the complaints will be a non-issue over time. I respect your opinion that not having a back button is "archaic" but your complaint about having to tap the screen after swiping "to go back home" is not valid. Pressing home in any other OS does not close the app either, so I'm not sure why a swipe and a tap to fully quit an app is an issue. As for your Hub complaints, and as others have said, you can use the icons for SMS and email if you would like as they are shortcuts to the Hub, but filtered to whatever icon you tapped. Alternatively, you can manually filter to a specific means of communication but tapping the button on the bottom left or swiping to the left.

As for things that are unique to the BB10 that Android does not have (officially):
    - Unified Inbox
    - A single gesture anywhere will take you to the Unified Inbox
    - Swiping up anywhere will list any new notification/message
    - When in a native BB10 app, swiping from the left bezel to the right is a "back button" (I find this very intuitive and nice)
    - Actionable toast notifications (can reply to an SMS/BBM from whatever app you are currently in, starting from OS 10.2 and up)
    - Actionable lock screen notifications (can double click a notification to unlock the phone and go straight into that message, starting from OS 10.2 and up)
    - Battery percentage when swiping up (the "archaic" home button you don't like, starting from OS 10.2.1 and up)

All in all, I think your complaints are reasonable. The fact that you did not go after the small screen after using a GS3 was nice. Hopefully after a few weeks you will come to appreciate BB10. I personally bought a Nexus 5 the day it was released expecting it to replace my Q10 but found myself unable to switch. Android is not for me. That said, BB10 might not be for you either.
    02-09-14 12:18 AM
    Ehh, to each their own. If you don't like it, you don't like it... simple as that really. I will say though, that 3 days isn't really much of an evaluation period. That's just 'early learning' days I find for most folks.
    So true. I've had the phone for one year and finding new jems.

Need some POW? Follow POW on BBM channels C004634C3 and find all the big snow spots.
    02-09-14 12:40 AM

Force yourself to use it for at least one month and in the end you will love it. That's what happened to me when I switched from iPhone 5 to Q10.
    02-09-14 01:00 AM
    like bla1ze said to each there own... i am going on a month with my z10.. and couldn't be happier..everything you describe as being annoying, i love. i love the swiping and find it more fluid than a home or back button... i actually used an android in which i just wanted to go back and hit the home button.. then had to reopen the app i did it multiple times.. drove me nuts...
    i find the home and back button archaic... but that is just my opinion... i actually agree with you about the hub...up until about 2 weeks ago now i am converted...at first i found the hub confusing cluttered. but i am totally used to it and like it now..if you give it time...you said you like having multiple conversations going in different apps..this way it is soooo easy as they are all right there i have been in bbm and texting all at the same time i just go back to hub in to message back to hub into bbm... so easy...

well i hope it goes well for you... after coming from iphone i won't be going back this os is amazing and gets better every update...i would give it a solid month.. if you still don't like it.. its not for you..
    02-09-14 01:24 AM
    I'm in general agreement. I have had my Q10 since July 2013 and as much as I want to like it having spent a few hundred quid on it, I'm still finding it difficult to do so. Yes it and BB10 remains something of a disappointment.

Having previously been a long time Nokia user I to chose the Q10 as the only new and up to date qwerty device on the market. The bad news is even it's keypad is a poor comparison to that on my Nokia E6 and I thought BlackBerry were supposed to be top dogs with qwerty devices. That was a rude awakening.

When you switch to a new device you look for improvements and new ways of doing things such that you would think, oh that's a good way of doing it... why did Nokia, Sony etc. never do it like that? But with BB10 there is almost nothing like that which I could consider a functional or ergonomic improvement on devices I've owned in the past two or three years and that is bad. There's still a lot of funtionality missing from the Q10 I had been usuing for years with Nokia such as USB OTG (is this a serious mobile computing/communication device or a play toy) and control over background data connections. Even the user accessable file system was great for a bit of tweaking but that seems to be a thing of the past in general with control freak locked down operating systems these days. Oh well maybe one day BlackBerry will catch up with where Nokia were three years ago. The costructed purchase of Nokia by the lumbering evil empire will help with that
    Heavy Fluid and JesseBabe23 like this.
    02-09-14 05:00 AM
    I completely agree with you. It was just my initial impression of the device and OS. Like I said, gonna try to give it more time and get used to it, although I don't feel like you should have to get used to a device. It should get used to you, especially with smartphones these days.
    It is always the user that adapts or gets use to a phone; the phone is neutral and but for "learning" words, it doesn't adapt or gets used to its owner. Hopefully, over time and with an open mind, you will come to appreciate your phone for what it really is. If not, that is OK too; different strokes for different folks.
    02-09-14 07:03 AM
    Same thing happened to me and the 9900. I was expecting big things but found it not to be so much different from my 9700/9780. Once I had it a while though, it dawned on me that I was doing things on it that I wouldn't have been able to do on my older devices, it kinda crept up on me. One of the reasons I initially got the Z10 was because it was so very different from anything else BlackBerry had done before, It wasn't just the "same old" form factor which made exploring and experimenting with the device a heck of a lot more interesting to me.
    02-09-14 07:49 AM
    Which "option" are you missing? Do you have access to the settings? I recall being in the hub and swiping down from the top bezel and saw the settings "gear" then going into settings and seeing a list of all my accounts with toggle switches to specify whether or not messages from a given acct were visible in the hub or not. I can't recall it being new to bb10.2, because keeping messages in my spam dumpster account out of the Hub was one of the first "it's nice to be able to do that" recollections about BB10, and I bought on launch day.
    02-09-14 07:49 AM
180 1234 ...