Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How will screen orientation work / App support for different resolutions

Just curious on how the screen orientation will work? Not only are the screen different orientations (portrait vs landscape), but they are also completely different resolution ratios (1.66:1 for L-series and 1:1 for N-series).

Will this cause concern for apps that are designed to run in portrait mode in a rectangular resolution? The N-series will have a square 1:1 resolution ratio... To me that sounds like there will be some compatibility issues or it will be a pain in the arse for developpers. Perhaps give them another excuse not to develop for BB10 if they have to develop for 2 screen ratios in both landscape and portrait...

Has this been discussed already?

Thanks!
    Phone
    Current : BlackBerry Z10 (Telus)

Tablet
    Current : BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB (PBOS 2.1)
    Next : BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB (BB10)

BlackBerry by choice.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

Bump, nobody is concerned about this issue?
    Phone

Tablet

BlackBerry by choice.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,574 Global Posts

I think with the N-Series, all apps should just work in portrait. That is the natural orientation of the device. Turning the device sideways with the keyboard on the side would just be silly.

Don't be afraid to THANK or LIKE

BBM: 7A03E5E9

What is the ultimate BlackBerry? The ultimate BlackBerry would be a device with the screen size of the Z10 along with the physical keyboard of the Q10 and the battery life of the Z30. This, would be the ultimate BlackBerry. Why they haven't built it yet remains one of the greatest mystery of BlackBerry.

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

Its not like they haven't dealt with this before... Look at the Torch lineup compared to the traditional Bold and Curve models. Same for Android they must have come up with some easy way to manage it all with the giant diversity of phone sizes and types that are on the market.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Plazmic Flame View Post
    I think with the N-Series, all apps should just work in portrait. That is the natural orientation of the device. Turning the device sideways with the keyboard on the side would just be silly.
    Your right on that one, I just meant the fact that developpers will have to build 3 different UI's for their apps (portrait for L-series, landscape for L-series and a different portrait for the N-series becuase of the square resolution ratio). I'm not a developer so maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it then they are; but wouldn't the lack of standardization on screen ratios between devices be a downer for developpers?
    Phone

Tablet

BlackBerry by choice.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,574 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nvestn View Post
    Your right on that one, I just meant the fact that developpers will have to build 3 different UI's for their apps (portrait for L-series, landscape for L-series and a different portrait for the N-series becuase of the square resolution ratio). I'm not a developer so maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it then they are; but wouldn't the lack of standardization on screen ratios between devices be a downer for developpers?
    Actually, the L & N Series can be developed for at the same, of course depending on design but in a general sense, it can be done. I say this because they will both have the same horizontal resolution of 720.

L-Series = 1280 x 720
    N-Series = 720 x 720

So on the L-Series you'll be presented with more info because of the bigger screen but on the N-Series you would just have to scroll up or down a bit to see more info. I would imagine RIM will give Devs the option to create separate apps as well for each resolution if needed. Hopefully this diagram will help explain better.

How will screen orientation work / App support for different resolutions-l_n_seriesresolution.jpg

Don't be afraid to THANK or LIKE

BBM: 7A03E5E9

What is the ultimate BlackBerry? The ultimate BlackBerry would be a device with the screen size of the Z10 along with the physical keyboard of the Q10 and the battery life of the Z30. This, would be the ultimate BlackBerry. Why they haven't built it yet remains one of the greatest mystery of BlackBerry.

CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Quote Originally Posted by Plazmic Flame View Post
    Actually, the L & N Series can be developed for at the same, of course depending on design but in a general sense, it can be done. I say this because they will both have the same horizontal resolution of 720.

L-Series = 1280 x 720
    N-Series = 720 x 720

So on the L-Series you'll be presented with more info because of the bigger screen but on the N-Series you would just have to scroll up or down a bit to see more info. I would imagine RIM will give Devs the option to create separate apps as well for each resolution if needed. Hopefully this diagram will help explain better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L_N_seriesresolution.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	126665
    Thanks; that makes perfect sense for the most part for apps like Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, etc... However I don't think that would really apply to apps that have very graphical UI's or games. But then again, I'm not a programmer or developper so maybe it doesn't take much to convert an apps layout to accomodate the square ratio...
    Phone

Tablet

BlackBerry by choice.