So many questions and irritants with the new phone. I'm impressed with the technology but extremely unimpressed with the interface.

Simple question to start with.

I want to be able to lock my phone just by pressing the power switch (or any other one or two KEY combination if that's not possible). I need to be able to do it fast and on demand. I do NOT want, therefore, to have to swipe anything or go hunting for a Lock option in the menus.

When I press it again, I should have to enter my password.

I don't mind a timeout as well but I want to option to turn that off - or at least set it for an arbitrary time a lot longer than the pathetic 20 min max built in - so the phone will not lock until/unless I want it to

Is this simple and obvious functionality available for the q10? and, if not, does anyone have a clue why not?
    03-02-14 04:46 PM
    03-02-14 04:56 PM
    To "really" lock it, I hold power and select lock. Otherwise just hitting the power button shuts off the screen. I disabled swipe to unlock so I need to hit it again to unlock.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 05:16 PM
    Long-press the upper button (on/off) and when count-down screen shows up, let go... chose "lock"... done. Takes 1 whole secound... say 2 ;-)
    How do we Lock a Q10 on demand instead of waiting for the timeout?-img_20140303_001722.png

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2102
    03-02-14 05:18 PM
    You have the solution in the above posts already. Searching the forums always helps btw.

Allow yourself some time to learn the OS and then decide if you're "extremely unimpressed". If still unimpressed, there are other OS's so there are options.

? Q1O
    03-02-14 05:41 PM
    What do you mean a timeout?

The screen turning off, or the lock turning on?
    Both are adjustable.

For each, pull down quick settings (top bezel, swipe down) and click on Settings :

How do we Lock a Q10 on demand instead of waiting for the timeout?-img_20140302_191519.png

For screen timeout, select Display :

How do we Lock a Q10 on demand instead of waiting for the timeout?-img_20140302_191708.png

And then make your selection :

How do we Lock a Q10 on demand instead of waiting for the timeout?-img_20140302_191813.png

For lockout, from Settings, select Security and Privacy

How do we Lock a Q10 on demand instead of waiting for the timeout?-img_20140302_191906.png

And then Device Password :

How do we Lock a Q10 on demand instead of waiting for the timeout?-img_20140302_192011.png

And then make your selection :

How do we Lock a Q10 on demand instead of waiting for the timeout?-img_20140302_192131.png

While in Device Password, check out the picture password That is, if you have OS 10.2.1!
    03-02-14 06:22 PM
    what a spendidly responsive forum this is! On some other fora, I've had to wait months for a half assed reply which only reveals the author didn't understand the original question. So thank you all for the prompt and informative replies.

Anyway, between you, you have nearly answered the question. The "hold the power button" (and wait for the options to appear) gives me "Lock on Demand". BUT, the lock option only appears (reasonably enough) if you have the password option switched on and that in turn activates the automatic lock on timeout.

What I really want is "Lock on Demand" ONLY. In other words I don't want the lock after 5/10/15 or 20 bloody minutes. I seem to remember in the Bold, there was an app you could get which would selectively apply the timeout depending on location (I also seem to remember it didn't work too well so I abandoned it).

That concept is certainly what I would prefer. When I'm in a "safe place" (at home or on my main customer sites), I do not want or need automatic locking. When I'm out and about and at risk of losing the phone or leaving it somewhere stupid, the automatic lock makes sense.

For the time being, however, I'd settle for just being able to set the device password but switch OFF the automatic lock. At the moment the only option seems to be through enabling or disabling the password in Security Settings and that's more hassle than it's worth.

Is there a quicker fix?
    tdyhedge likes this.
    03-03-14 06:55 AM
    I remember on legacy devices, you just long press the Q button and it will automatically lock the phone. Not sure if they managed to port this same function to the Q10.
    03-03-14 07:11 AM
    Is there anyway to lock screen without pressing power button? I mean like assistive touch on iOs because it's quite uncomfortable to press power button on the top while my fingers on the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-14 07:25 AM
    I remember on legacy devices, you just long press the Q button and it will automatically lock the phone. Not sure if they managed to port this same function to the Q10.
    Sadly not... That's my first "disappointment" when first used... The shortcut for contact (long press letter to get contact) has been integrated in 10.2.updates, but "#" turning to vibrate, "*" to lock and costomisable key are the huge hardware features I miss from my Bold9900!

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2102
    03-03-14 08:41 AM
    what a spendidly responsive forum this is! On some other fora, I've had to wait months for a half assed reply which only reveals the author didn't understand the original question. So thank you all for the prompt and informative replies.

Anyway, between you, you have nearly answered the question. The "hold the power button" (and wait for the options to appear) gives me "Lock on Demand". BUT, the lock option only appears (reasonably enough) if you have the password option switched on and that in turn activates the automatic lock on timeout.

What I really want is "Lock on Demand" ONLY. In other words I don't want the lock after 5/10/15 or 20 bloody minutes. I seem to remember in the Bold, there was an app you could get which would selectively apply the timeout depending on location (I also seem to remember it didn't work too well so I abandoned it).

That concept is certainly what I would prefer. When I'm in a "safe place" (at home or on my main customer sites), I do not want or need automatic locking. When I'm out and about and at risk of losing the phone or leaving it somewhere stupid, the automatic lock makes sense.

For the time being, however, I'd settle for just being able to set the device password but switch OFF the automatic lock. At the moment the only option seems to be through enabling or disabling the password in Security Settings and that's more hassle than it's worth.

Is there a quicker fix?
    Unfortunately, I don't THINK there are any available options for this.

The best I can suggest is to check out OnLocation in BlackBerry World. It is a location based settings changing app. Automatically changing the lock settings is not an option, but if you contact the developer and ask, I'm sure they would implement it for you

The other option is to get the BlackBerry Community App from BlackBerry World. This is an app from BlackBerry that allows you to make feature requests. BlackBerry has been good at giving us the features that we want!
    03-03-14 12:27 PM
    Is there anyway to lock screen without pressing power button? I mean like assistive touch on iOs because it's quite uncomfortable to press power button on the top while my fingers on the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry just started implementing keyboard shortcuts in the latest OS update (10.2.1). If you make a feature request through BlackBerry Beta Zone or BlackBerry Community App (both available in BlackBerry World), there is a good chance you will see it in the next update!

BB10 is just a baby, so implementation is seemingly infinite right now. You have a good opportunity to help sculpt it into the most user-friendly experience available.
    03-03-14 12:30 PM
    I'm pretty sure there is no API for this for developers unfortunately. I searched and couldn't find it. I liked that feature myself from my 9780 days. If I missed the API and someone knows it please let me know. There even was a lock icon on the 9780 if I remember correctly.

Read-only for device lock state:

https://developer.blackberry.com/nat...erty-lockstate
    03-03-14 12:42 PM
    OK, I'll get busy on the Blackberry features list.
    Thanks
    03-04-14 05:42 AM