Like a few people out there, I do have some files and folders on my old Blackberry (Bold 9900) that I wanted to move on to my Q10 when I got it, and, like quite not so few of us found out, BB10 does not (currently) offer the ability to create hidden files and folders on the Q10 (or Z10 either). After reading through a whole lot of forums and searching the internet, I learnt about the ability to create .zips of files and folders with the File Manager app in BB10 and then deleting the original files from your phone. This method, while making the files and folders unseen within the video, picture, music apps within BB10, left the zipped file or folder visible within File Manager and all anyone had to do to see the contents of the zipped file or folder was to click on it and it previewed within File Manager. Thus, although the files and folders were "unseen" somewhere else, they were not totally hidden or inaccessible on the device. Not a good solution.

I then started reading about different apps that were out there in Blackberry World that claimed to hide files and/or folders on BB10, and I finally settled on an app called Hide Files for Blackberry . I figured that for .99c, if it was crap I wasn't losing that much. After installing the app and setting it up, I tried it a few files and folders and it seemed to work well. The two main problems with the app (there are a few other quirks) were, 1), it didn't do large files/folders too well (it got stuck for hours on a 900mb folder full of pictures, I had to uninstal and reinstal to continue), and 2), all though the contents of the folders were hidden, the folder themselves (meaning the folder names) were still visible in all apps and within File Manager, it just showed them as having 0 contents. This wasn't too good, sometimes all you need to know is the name of the folder to have an idea what t is supposed to contain and to know that it won't have 0 contents. So, this method wasn't the total solution either.

I then decided to try something out, and voila!, files and folders are hidden, they cannot be seen within any app or within File Manager itself and it didn't take hours or hangups to accomplish :-). What I decided to do was put all the files in folders and zip all the folders first using the zip feature in BB10s File Manager (and it sure does zip very fast! Wow!!!), then I deleted the main folders from my phone (thus the files and folders were no longer visible within any apps, only the zips in File Manager were visible). I then used the Hide Manager app to hide the zipped folders (which, because they were zipped files, Hide Manger treated them as files and not folders), and, since the zipped folder were now hidden behind Hide Manager as files, the File Manager app within BB10 couldn't see them either. Thus no one but myself knows or has any clue that those files or folders even exist anywhere on my phone. Perfecto!
    06-12-13 01:14 PM
    There is a way to do this but it is clunky. If you start the folder name with a period, it is hidden. The problem is unhiding them. I use an app called BGshellPlus to open a shell prompt. From there I can use Linux like commands to find and rename the hidden folders. Or just move the files to an unhidden folder if needed.
    06-12-13 01:58 PM
    How do you un-hide them tho?
    06-19-13 05:38 PM
    Ghost Commander can view and rename files hidden using the period method. You can uninstall it and then only download it when you need to view hidden files.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    06-19-13 07:58 PM
    Or you could have just purchased "File Vault". I've found nothing else that compares.
    06-19-13 08:10 PM