I installed Facebook on my Q10, only to check my fb messages every now and then. My problem is that facebook automatically links to my contact list, updating profile pictures and even names. I use nicknames for many of my friends, but facebook now changed all name entries to those people use for their facebook accounts. It also replaces all my painstackingly handpicked profile pics. Obviously, I don't want this.

Now I know I can unlink a contact from facebook �restoring name and profile pics� but only one at a time. I have 1000+ contacts so that really isn't an option. (Besides, I have a feeling contacts are being 'relinked' to facebook every time my Q10 syncs my google contacts.)
    I've tried reinstalling facebook, and I unchecked facebook in 'show account in contact list', but that does not help.

Is there any way to keep facebook in my hub, but unlink it from ALL my contacts, for GOOD?
    06-24-13 02:59 PM
    Go to Settings > Accounts > Facebook > Turn "Find Friends" off

Now go to Contacts > Settings > Turn "Facebook" off
    06-24-13 03:03 PM
    Turn "Find Friends" off

Worked, thanks! (Requires a reinstall btw)

EDIT: on closer inspection.... no didn't work.
    06-24-13 03:12 PM
    Unfortunately, after trying to reinstall facebook several times, making sure 'find friends' and 'show account' are unchecked, my contact list is still showing updated names and profile pics.
    06-24-13 03:17 PM
    Unfortunately, after trying to reinstall facebook several times, making sure 'find friends' and 'show account' are unchecked, my contact list is still showing updated names and profile pics.
    Once you connect your Facebook account, those contacts are in. You have to do this before clicking save the very first time.

To start from scratch, view only the Facebook contacts and select them all and delete.

C0004E653 - The official channel for ChefBigFella.com
    06-24-13 03:37 PM
    Why since I got my replacement Z I will not use facebook on my phone. I don't get why they think we all want everything so connected. Give us the option please
    mvirard likes this.
    06-24-13 03:39 PM
    Once you connect your Facebook account, those contacts are in. You have to do this before clicking save the very first time.

To start from scratch, view only the Facebook contacts and select them all and delete.

Yes, but even if I delete all facebook contacts, it will still update the information for my device contacts that are also on facebook...
    06-24-13 03:46 PM
    Yes, but even if I delete all facebook contacts, it will still update the information for my device contacts that are also on facebook...
    Yes. That's the Find Friends feature. It won't update your current contacts but will not connect the future ones.

And you'll have to manually unlink the Facebook accounts from each Facebook connected contact.

06-24-13 03:49 PM
    This is asinine. Not attacking you, but the jerk who decided it would be a good idea to have it default to this rather than default to NOT LINKING, and you have to choose to do so. Now all my FB contacts are linked, and if I toggle off FB contacts in "phone" (so I don't have all 500 FB friends whom I don't know IRL showing in my contacts list), then anyone in my contacts who happens to have a FB account doesn't appear when I search for them in phone. So if I want to call someone who has FB, I have to search them in contacts, and not in phone because they won't appear.
    mvirard likes this.
    06-24-13 03:52 PM
    And you'll have to manually unlink the Facebook accounts from each Facebook connected contact.
    I'm slow today. HOW do I do this? I'm not seeing an option in FB on the Q10....
    06-24-13 03:55 PM
    I'm slow today. HOW do I do this? I'm not seeing an option in FB on the Q10....
    Rather simple....

Help: Unlink ALL Facebook contacts-img_00000240.png

06-24-13 04:04 PM
    This is asinine. Not attacking you, but the jerk who decided it would be a good idea to have it default to this rather than default to NOT LINKING, and you have to choose to do so. Now all my FB contacts are linked, and if I toggle off FB contacts in "phone" (so I don't have all 500 FB friends whom I don't know IRL showing in my contacts list), then anyone in my contacts who happens to have a FB account doesn't appear when I search for them in phone. So if I want to call someone who has FB, I have to search them in contacts, and not in phone because they won't appear.
    I think you have it wrong. If your contact has a phone number, whether they are from Facebook or not, you can dial them from the phone application.

And I'm with you, this isn't the best scenario.

06-24-13 04:06 PM
    The best solution...wipe...reinstall and do make sure to off the link with FB ie contact..
    06-24-13 07:37 PM
    I think you have it wrong. If your contact has a phone number, whether they are from Facebook or not, you can dial them from the phone application.

And I'm with you, this isn't the best scenario.

I may not have explained myself correctly...admittedly, I can DIAL anyone from phone. Problem happens when i have to look up someone's number, because when I copied my contacts from my 9930 to my Q10 via Link, Link added all of my FB friends to my contacts, and associated my normal contacts with their FB accounts. So if I don't want to see all those FB contacts in my contact list when searching for someone via the phone app, I can toggle off FB contacts from showing via the menu. But if I do this, open the phone app and type a name of someone who has a FB account as well as being one of my contacts, then don't show up when searching via the phone app. If I do the exact same thing in the contacts app, they DO show up in the search.

WHY would I want all those FB accounts, a tenth of whom I know IRL, in my contacts is beyond me. If I needed to contact them I'd use FB, obviously.
    Last edited by PJD642; 06-24-13 at 08:16 PM.
    06-24-13 08:05 PM
    Rather simple....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000240.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	175662

OK, so I have to go into each contact and unlink them from FB. Got it. Had to play around w/ it for a minute. Thanks.
    06-24-13 08:10 PM
    I am having the phone contact issue as well. I have over 1500 LinkedIn contacts and 300+ Facebook friends. Some of those are linked to my exchange account contacts and most are not. If I choose the option to not have them in the contacts app, they will still show up as an exchange contact from WITHIN the contacts app. Not from within the phone app. They WILL show up in the search app so if I type call "wife's name" it will show up.

This is a phone contacts app issue.

Posted via CB10
    06-25-13 01:16 AM
    I am having the phone contact issue as well. I have over 1500 LinkedIn contacts and 300+ Facebook friends. Some of those are linked to my exchange account contacts and most are not. If I choose the option to not have them in the contacts app, they will still show up as an exchange contact from WITHIN the contacts app. Not from within the phone app. They WILL show up in the search app so if I type call "wife's name" it will show up.

This is a phone contacts app issue.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. For some reason, the phone app doesn't pick up Exchange contacts which are also FB/LinkedIn contacts. It doesn't seem to acknowledge the fact that they are Exchange contacts as well. Hopefully fixed in next OS as this is a major hassle to always have to leave the phone app to dial somebody.
    06-25-13 05:12 AM
    You don't have to search for names yourself through the contact list... just start typing "call (the persons name") or "text (the persons name)"

I think the OS is designed to handle people with large contacts which is why the universal search was implemented...

Posted via CB10
    PJD642 likes this.
    06-25-13 06:09 AM
    You don't have to search for names yourself through the contact list... just start typing "call (the persons name") or "text (the persons name)".
    I think the OS is designed to handle people with large contacts which is why the universal search was implemented...
    Good point! I forget about the new features sometimes...this works just fine, even with FB contacts toggled "off".
    06-25-13 07:37 AM
    You don't have to search for names yourself through the contact list... just start typing "call (the persons name") or "text (the persons name)"

Posted via CB10
    But if you are in the phone app and just hung up a call, you should be able to just start typing the contact's name of your next call. You currently cannot (well, you can but you won't see Facebook/LinkedIn contacts). I shouldn't have to exit to home screen and then do universal search.
    awalizad and PJD642 like this.
    06-25-13 08:44 AM
    I may not have explained myself correctly...admittedly, I can DIAL anyone from phone. Problem happens when i have to look up someone's number, because when I copied my contacts from my 9930 to my Q10 via Link, Link added all of my FB friends to my contacts, and associated my normal contacts with their FB accounts. So if I don't want to see all those FB contacts in my contact list when searching for someone via the phone app, I can toggle off FB contacts from showing via the menu. But if I do this, open the phone app and type a name of someone who has a FB account as well as being one of my contacts, then don't show up when searching via the phone app. If I do the exact same thing in the contacts app, they DO show up in the search.

WHY would I want all those FB accounts, a tenth of whom I know IRL, in my contacts is beyond me. If I needed to contact them I'd use FB, obviously.
    yep. that.
    06-25-13 12:05 PM