Dear all, I am having some problems with audio playback on my new Q10. Basically, with a headset (i.e. headphones with a media key and mic) connected, I can't listen to music. The music playback works OK at first, but if I use the power button to put the phone in standby, the playback pauses. If I just put the phone in its case, the playback continues at first, but then the phone starts randomly skipping tracks and pausing. With the headset connected, the media buttons on the phone don't work either, neither the volume keys nor the mute key. Sometimes they do nothing, sometimes they cause random skipping, pausing etc.

With ordinary headphones connected, playback is OK, and the media keys work correctly.

I've tried two different headsets, a Sony one and a Blackberry 'premium' one, part no. HDW-49299-001. I thought maybe the Sony one was wired wrong for the phone, and the BlackBerry one is from a different handset - maybe a Z30. I've cleaned out the audio jack socket with a piece of paper towel, and reloaded the OS with Link.

Is this a classic Q10 bad audio jack socket scenario? Any other thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 04:51 AM
    What are you using to listen to your audio? iHeartRadio, Audible, built-in media player, etc.? Have you tried seeing if different apps make a difference? Thanks.
    09-14-16 01:06 PM
    It seems to be independent of software, it happens whether I use the native music player or a third-party app like 7Digital.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-16 04:10 PM
    Is it a new Q10 out of the box?
    It could be a hardware problem.
    Go to BlackBerry World store and download the BBVE app and then run the Audio test. Go through the entire scenario so you are brought to the headphone jack part of the test.
    Let us know your results.

I like my coffee  BlackBerry� black! What?
    09-16-16 04:07 PM
    Hi, it fails the headset media key test and all headset mic tests on BBVE. I think it's a bad headset socket, I've got a replacement socket coming, doesn't look like too tough a job.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-16 08:04 AM
    Glad to hear the troubleshooting worked. I agree with your conclusion. Let us know how the install goes when you get your new replacement socket.
    09-20-16 01:40 PM
    I've now got the new jack socket, but also a new pair of Sennheiser CX300 headphones. Now in no hurry to replace the jack socket, as the Sennheisers sound good under a motorbike helmet, and the headset mic was always hard work in anything but perfect ambient noise...

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 04:45 PM
    How was it to take apart when replacing the headphone jack?

On my Q10 the headphones are not detected.

Never disassembled a BB10 phone. Only legacy devices which were easy as pie!

Posted via CB10
    09-22-16 07:48 PM
    I've now got the new jack socket, but also a new pair of Sennheiser CX300 headphones. Now in no hurry to replace the jack socket, as the Sennheisers sound good under a motorbike helmet, and the headset mic was always hard work in anything but perfect ambient noise...

Posted via CB10
    Are you saying that now everything is okay even without changing the jack. Your new headphones are wireless I'm guessing, right?

09-23-16 01:43 PM
    Are you saying that now everything is okay even without changing the jack. Your new headphones are wireless I'm guessing, right?

No, the new headphones are on a standard 3.5mm jack, but it's a three- rather than four-contact plug, i.e. they don't have a mic or media key. Looks like it's just the fourth, control contact on the jack socket that is faulty. It is possibly just out of tolerance mechanically - it had occurred to me that just bending the contact out a bit, with a needle, might fix it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Niallac; 09-24-16 at 11:56 AM.
    09-24-16 06:33 AM
    No, the new headphones are on a standard 3.5mm jack, but it's a three- rather than four-contact plug, i.e. they don't have a mic or media key. Looks like it's just the fourth, control contact on the jack socket that is faulty. It is possibly just out of tolerance mechanically - it had occurred to me that just bending the contact out a bit, with a needle, might fix it.

Posted via CB10
    Now that's a nice bit of interesting intel!! Please let us know if the "needle trick" works!
    09-27-16 11:59 AM
    Now that's a nice bit of interesting intel!! Please let us know if the "needle trick" works!
    Here's a strange thing: after a few days of using standard stereo headphones with the phone, I connected the headset again, yesterday. And now, it is working OK! I thoroughly cleaned the headset jack socket before I posted this thread, so all I can imagine is that connecting and disconnecting the headphones etc has realigned something in the socket.

Probably going to be a short-lived fix, but for the moment I'm back to my sweet-sounding Sony Ericsson ' LiveSound' headset! Happy days!
    coffee-turtle likes this.
    09-28-16 08:02 PM