Hi guys,

So here's my story, I've been a BlackBerry user for the past 6-7 years but at the same time became accustomed to iOS (iPhone) too. So since the last 2 years I've been carrying both the phones as my daily drivers. But lately it's getting hard to handle / manage 2 devices at the same time and it's just feels super tasking. Here's my ordeal: BlackBerry I cannot let go coz of the amazing battery life (iPhone sucks here) amongs many other things and iPhone cannot let go because of the amazing catalogue of apps. Hence I need to make a decision and let one go, the question is which one???
    I'm sure many of you have been through this ordeal and I'll appreciate any kind of support here.

Thanks.

M

Clicking away on the Q10
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    04-14-14 07:23 AM
    Hi guys,

So here's my story, I've been a BlackBerry user for the past 6-7 years but at the same time became accustomed to iOS (iPhone) too. So since the last 2 years I've been carrying both the phones as my daily drivers. But lately it's getting hard to handle / manage 2 devices at the same time and it's just feels super tasking. Here's my ordeal: BlackBerry I cannot let go coz of the amazing battery life (iPhone sucks here) amongs many other things and iPhone cannot let go because of the amazing catalogue of apps. Hence I need to make a decision and let one go, the question is which one???
    I'm sure many of you have been through this ordeal and I'll appreciate any kind of support here.

Thanks.

M

Clicking away on the Q10
    Tough call, I have both as well but just switch to the Q10 to try BB again. I like the hardware, battery life, getting used to hub but I remember the older BB experience to be better and less painful. I've spent countless hours over the last 3 days on Google, Crackberry and Blackberry support forums scouring for answers, even worse is that Google and Crackberry are way more useful than Blackberry support and support forums for looking up gotcha's.

Nothing on my Q10 just works I'm always finding quirks that make you go "what were they thinking" here are some examples

• I found out last night that I can't use "remote file access" from BB Link without turning off the firewall on my Mac because the app itself doesn't prompt you to allow access through the firewall an I haven't been able to figure out what ports it uses. I even called BB support and they were scratching their heads.
    • Imap email does not post changes from your BB inbox to the mail sever as you make changes it posts them over time intervals so lets say you "read" an email it doesn't appear as "read" on your desktop or web mail until BB decides to post the changes same goes for delete. All of the other mobile o/s like Android and iOS post changes when you make them.
    • There's no Print to Go support for Mac (they aren't clear about it, they just don't talk about it).
    • Basic standard apps are missing for example a podcast player that doesn't suck, I paid for one this morning.
    • BB Maps SUCKS it's 10x worse than Apple Maps I'm not even going to compare it to Google Maps. It doesn't post transit stops, I'm not even asking for transit directions I just want to know where there is a subway station.
    • The phone dialer is buggy, it crashed on me while I was on a call with BB support. The reason I know it crashed was because the app stopped responding even after acknowledging I ended the call but the call timer was still going up.
    • Carddav support, doesn't pickup contact images (and I'm sure a host of other fields didn't come over, but it doesn't tell you)
    • Contact sync from BB Link does not support custom fields so if you have someone's mobile number labeled as "iPhone" it just ignores it doesn't warn you just ignores it and does not import it into BB contacts.
    • Caldav there's no way to say "ignore" these calendars never show them anywhere. You can hide them from the calendar app when you're looking at appointments BUT when you try to book an appointment all those calendars you don't want to see are still in the drop down list.

Do I miss my iPhone hell ya I do... the damn thing just works. Why am I sticking it out... I'm hoping it will get better, and the battery life is amazing.
    mpshah likes this.
    04-14-14 07:41 AM
    Tough call, I have both as well but just switch to the Q10 to try BB again. I like the hardware, battery life, getting used to hub but I remember the older BB experience to be better and less painful. I've spent countless hours over the last 3 days on Google, Crackberry and Blackberry support forums scouring for answers, even worse is that Google and Crackberry are way more useful than Blackberry support and support forums for looking up gotcha's.

Nothing on my Q10 just works I'm always finding quirks that make you go "what were they thinking" here are some examples

• I found out last night that I can't use "remote file access" from BB Link without turning off the firewall on my Mac because the app itself doesn't prompt you to allow access through the firewall an I haven't been able to figure out what ports it uses. I even called BB support and they were scratching their heads.
    • Imap email does not post changes from your BB inbox to the mail sever as you make changes it posts them over time intervals so lets say you "read" an email it doesn't appear as "read" on your desktop or web mail until BB decides to post the changes same goes for delete. All of the other mobile o/s like Android and iOS post changes when you make them.
    • There's no Print to Go support for Mac (they aren't clear about it, they just don't talk about it).
    • Basic standard apps are missing for example a podcast player that doesn't suck, I paid for one this morning.
    • BB Maps SUCKS it's 10x worse than Apple Maps I'm not even going to compare it to Google Maps. It doesn't post transit stops, I'm not even asking for transit directions I just want to know where there is a subway station.
    • The phone dialer is buggy, it crashed on me while I was on a call with BB support. The reason I know it crashed was because the app stopped responding even after acknowledging I ended the call but the call timer was still going up.
    • Carddav support, doesn't pickup contact images (and I'm sure a host of other fields didn't come over, but it doesn't tell you)
    • Contact sync from BB Link does not support custom fields so if you have someone's mobile number labeled as "iPhone" it just ignores it doesn't warn you just ignores it and does not import it into BB contacts.
    • Caldav there's no way to say "ignore" these calendars never show them anywhere. You can hide them from the calendar app when you're looking at appointments BUT when you try to book an appointment all those calendars you don't want to see are still in the drop down list.

Do I miss my iPhone hell ya I do... the damn thing just works. Why am I sticking it out... I'm hoping it will get better, and the battery life is amazing.
    I love honest posts about the downsides to BlackBerrys new OS. I'm frustrated with it as well. But when I suggest improvements people say go get an android if you want bells and whistles.

Guess maybe they are right. I wish BlackBerry would just get with the times (at least match what they could do in 2011) but that is apparently asking too much.

Love your post because you listed things I've wanted and then some.

via CB10 using a Z10 / STL100-3 / RFK121LW / 10.2.1.2234 / T-Mobile USA
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    04-14-14 07:52 AM
    Well, what app can you use without proper battery and the bb10 keyboard is amazing ( virtual and physical). And BlackBerry 10 has some decent apps to get your work done. And BlackBerry 10 is way smoother and the hub, toast notifs etc are so amazing!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 08:01 AM
    What about pairing the Q10 with a ipad to let go of the iPhone ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    SaintThomasAquinas likes this.
    04-14-14 08:50 AM
    I'd sell the iphone cause you could make more money and it'll be easier to sell! Then you keep the Q10 as your work horse

Posted via CB10 for Z10
    mpshah likes this.
    04-14-14 08:53 AM
    I plan on getting an ipod 5 for my apps and stay with my blackberry for texting emails and business. I currently have an ipod 4 but want to get the bigger screen

Posted via CB10 with z10
    hlg8888 likes this.
    04-14-14 08:54 AM
    Hey, I have also used both an iPhone and a Q10 and I decided to go with the Q10 mainly because I loved the battery life and communication tools. The downsides highlighted by Blee4 are not things that really affect me and the things I do. If the only reason is the app catalogue, I would say go with the Q10 as you can install android apps on 10.2.1.

One thing to consider is, because of the screen size and the 1:1 ratio, some android apps may not run properly on the Q. I have tried quite a lot of them and they seen to work fine but the odd few do not.
    04-14-14 09:10 AM
    If your only keeping the iPhone because of the games then get ride off it with the new BlackBerry OS update you can install any of android apps unto your z10

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 12:15 PM
    Or q10 which ever BlackBerry 10 smartphone ur using

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 12:36 PM
    You could get an ipod touch to replace the iPhone and use mobile hot spot on your blackberry for when you need your apps. (depending on what apps you need) Basically an ipod is for those who don't won't an iPhone for their phone but want to have access to apples OS as well. I say you get the best of both worlds that way and the ipod 5 is a very nice device and it does have siri. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 01:04 PM
    You could get an ipod touch to replace the iPhone and use mobile hot spot on your blackberry for when you need your apps. (depending on what apps you need) Basically an ipod is for those who don't won't an iPhone for their phone but want to have access to apples OS as well. I say you get the best of both worlds that way and the ipod 5 is a very nice device and it does have siri. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    Those are my exact plans!! Go back to the Q10, and although I have an ipod 4, upgrade to a 5 and use hotzpot....best of both worlds..!!!

Posted via CB10 with z10
    nadashalou likes this.
    04-14-14 01:10 PM
    I've a Q10 and Zed 10 I carry around as the daily driver. I'm curious too, WITHOUT the BlackBerry 10 Hub, what do you think is compelling about BlackBerry 10 if the Hub didn't exist at all? Even though BlackBerry 'seems' behind the times, they will invariably come back like a rushing river that's been held back.

Posted via CB10
    mpshah likes this.
    04-14-14 04:52 PM

blee4
    Absolutely agree with your post, as mentioned there are many negative aspects about the BB10 but at the same the positives outweigh them.
    I'm still confused as to which way to go but hopefully will make a decision by the end of this week.
    04-15-14 12:27 AM
    What about pairing the Q10 with a ipad to let go of the iPhone ?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    In order to do that I'll have to carry around the iPad all the time which I don't mind doing but portability becomes an issue then right?
    04-15-14 12:28 AM
    Hey, I have also used both an iPhone and a Q10 and I decided to go with the Q10 mainly because I loved the battery life and communication tools. The downsides highlighted by Blee4 are not things that really affect me and the things I do. If the only reason is the app catalogue, I would say go with the Q10 as you can install android apps on 10.2.1.

One thing to consider is, because of the screen size and the 1:1 ratio, some android apps may not run properly on the Q. I have tried quite a lot of them and they seen to work fine but the odd few do not.
    Yup installing Android apps is an option but I did try side loading them on the Q10 and experience battery drain caused by some apps. So yeah thats out of the question for me coz battery life is one of the ONLY plus points that's pulling me towards the Q10.
    04-15-14 12:31 AM
    I have a BlackBerry with ipad mini for multimedia and apps. I just don't like to carry phones that are more than 5". I just find the q10 size right. There are things I'm not happy with this phone but I can live with it.

Maybe you get an ipod touch 5.

via Q10
    04-15-14 12:35 AM
    If your only keeping the iPhone because of the games then get ride off it with the new BlackBerry OS update you can install any of android apps unto your z10

Posted via CB10
    Hardly play any games on the iPhone, its apps like FlipBoard, Zite, Instagram, YouTube, XBMC, Google Maps, etc that I use.
    04-15-14 12:36 AM
    Hardly play any games on the iPhone, its apps like FlipBoard, Zite, Instagram, YouTube, XBMC, Google Maps, etc that I use.
    All those apps can be easily downloaded onto the q10

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 08:06 AM