I am gonna miss that trackpad, but i guess we have to wait and see
    BergerKing likes this.
    12-15-12 11:42 AM
    Why bother with the N series without a track pad, that's the whole point of owning a BB with keyboard.

Will stick with 9900 and when it's time to change the way i use my phone, I may as well move to L series or other!
    12-15-12 01:04 PM
    Why bother with the N series without a track pad, that's the whole point of owning a BB with keyboard.

Will stick with 9900 and when it's time to change the way i use my phone, I may as well move to L series or other!
    Actually, the main point of owning a bb with a physical keyboard is more about the speed of typing, being able to type without looking etc and the trackpad is just one part of what makes up that device.

With bb10 the design paradigm has shifted, the keyboard is now there as a tool for data entry and the touchscreen is no longer just an after thought, it is intended to be the primary means of interacting with the device. This change will mean that some people that lived by their qwerty bb will find themselves deciding that an l-series with the great virtual keyboard and larger screen real estate actually becomes the better option for them, this isn't such a bad thing even if it is a little sad that the iconic bb design seems destined to lose its status as the flagship bb device.
    12-16-12 07:26 AM
    Yes it has. Getting the N Series was a no brainer for me until I discovered it probably won't have a trackpad! I'm thinking a larger screen would be more advantagous without a trackpad so I'll have to try both!

Btw, I currently have a 9900 and my contract doesn't expire until July so I should have some time to try them both.
    12-16-12 07:44 AM
    i was in limbo about which one to get...but this may be the tie breaker. I think i'll go with the all touch screen and keep my 9900 as well. I dont know how i would like a Bold styled device without a track pad.....
    12-18-12 04:21 PM
    No, but it hasa affected my decission wether to get the N right from the start or stick with my 9900 a bit longer. I just got a Playbook last week and text selection/correction is really, really lackluster compared to the trackpad of the Bold. Now the PB comes with a whopping 7" screen. The L-Series has just 4.2" and the N-Series most likely just 3" - which doesn't make the text marking of both any easier compared to the Playbook.
    12-20-12 09:06 AM
    ............................... I love the other features of BB10, especially the always-on Messages app, but I'm considering moving to a 9930 instead of a BB10. I realize RIM had to make the BB10 phones physically more like Androids and iPhones in order to sell them to the masses, but in doing so they also took away much of what made them superior for me.
    I totally agree with you�.. I am big fan of traditional blackberry���� I owned��..8700G, 8800, 8820, 8300, 8320, 8900, 9000 (best till now), 9700, 9780, 9900 (current)
    12-30-12 07:27 AM
    trackpad not needed for precise placing of cursor. webOS phones use the entire screen as a virtual trackpad.
    01-14-13 07:45 PM
    Stop this. There's a million threads about the lack of trackpad already. So many I've got bored with linking to them. In fact there was one such thread 10 down from the top of this forum.
    If it takes a million threads for RIM to get the idea, then good for them.

I will always want a phone with a keyboard, but I am not getting that stupid half-baked thing without a trackpad as long as I have options. I'll probably upgrade to a Torch slider if they don't come out with some decent BB10 QWERTY hardware in a timely manner.

I seriously hope this is just RIM testing the market's tolerance for the missing trackpad and that they will release a device with a trackpad when enough business clients get pissed off that they can no longer edit text efficiently.
    01-24-13 09:54 AM
    I have come to the conclusion that whatever the phone dictates as it's primary form of navigation will be used.

I had a WE8830 with the Track ball, and a Tour, but the Trackpad was a departure for me, that was supplimented with a touch screen on my 9930 that I now have. The sky did not fall, and I used what was there. If the trackpad is removed from the next generation, I'm sure that users will adapt to the phone and that the phone will adapt to them as well.
    01-28-13 08:55 AM
    Sticking to the question and since I know that I can operate a 9900 very well using only touch ( you have to practice ) it will not affect my decision.

RIM should have could have moved the trackpad to where the space key is - not ideal but a solution.

As far as the "teeny tiny" BB's sold in the third world and Walmart... I am not sure what RIM will do but perhaps RIM should be upsizing the cheap phones as well. I do care about the third world because that is a huge part of RIM's business. In NA and Europe I would only sell the Z10 & X10 and their larger siblings ( adopt the iPhone strategy).
    01-28-13 11:14 AM
    the design of the blackberry 9810 needs to be further researched, developed, and released. it is the ultimate smartphone design that simply suffered bad timing with a couple flaws and inferior specs. second best specs is becoming an unofficial trademark identifier of blackberry, i don't understand why
    Last edited by murlynwyzurd13; 01-30-13 at 02:18 PM.
    01-30-13 01:31 PM
    You may be in luck ...they may come up with a budget phone similar to the Curve to sell in markets where they have to have really inexpensive phones.
    01-30-13 01:38 PM
    yes it is a major concern and is every bit as necessary as the phys keyboard for quicker, easier, and more accurate navigation. here is the deal that blackberry employees and fans have failed to fully admit. due to blackberry's previous failures at listening to their fan base as Apple does, their failure to maintain upkeep with technology trends as Android does, and their failure to focus on satisfying their customers instead of satisfying theirselves, are the causes of the bad decisions blackberry made a couple years ago up til now, and the devastating effect those decisions had on their image, their finances, and their very existence has caused them to lose both control and perspective of what they do best, as well as why and how they do those things best, and why and how those things they do best are uniquely superior to their competition. they have allowed themseives to be put in a position in which they are letting the market control them and their choices instead of them solely determining their own direction. they feel the need to sacrifice the extra time, research, and effort put into making a superior and dominant, navigation and type friendly, trackpad and keyboard device for offerring an offhand alternative touch device that they know is inferior in functionality but yet is simply being overproduced by the competition and flooding the markets. blackberry is also being outsmarted in advertising, marketing, and customer service causing them to cave in to pressure of those assets of their competitors. they need to develop a serious and brave focus on the superior convenience, accuracy, and usage/performance quality that the COMBINATION of both the trackpad and keyboard have over the clumsy, irritating, and imprecise qualities of virtual buttons and learn how to successfully articulate and advertise the superiority of these vital factors both to customers and partners. until this happens blackberry will continue to be an offbrand always-less-than-the-best alternative that never fully delivers and caters to their customers, and will gradually become subsumed in the end. I honestly hope that among the proposed next four devices to be released, there is an inclusion of both keyboard AND trackpad alongside competitive specs, or else I honestly think it will be lights out for blackberry. the lack of a trackpad will turn away many blackberry fans from the q10, and the dual core processor will cave to the slew of quad core devices proposed this year. the torch 2 slider was their best designed phone but was hampered by 4 things, 2 of which interfered with its own assets. the choice to place the trackpad on the same side as the screen was bad, it should have been put with the keyboard underneath to not conflict or confuse screen navigation. the keyboard was one the the worst simply due to the choice of texture and composition-the keys were softer and thus didnt precisely press down, key spacing was bad with bad spacing and rectangular shaped keys instead of bold's hard plastic and square shape. it was a little to bulky for comfort, and it should of had a dual core instead of second-best single core. everything else was absolutely perfect and is the ideal shape and design of a smartphone!!!! an up-down slider is vastly more convenient than a sideways slider. blackberry has always had the ideal model of a one-hand-to-COMFORTABLY-do-everything phone design and the 9810 was a great example. it now seems that they never realized this particular achievement but there is still time for them to do so, altho precious little.
    01-30-13 02:00 PM
    Holy great wall of text!

Enter key broken?
    joseanmx likes this.
    01-30-13 02:15 PM
    I was set on getting the Q10 but after looking a leaked pics, the design wasn't appealing. It looked like they took a shell from a 9900 and put everything new inside. On the mainpage, Kevin was at the launch in NY and they showed off the Q10 and guy from RIM had a hard time swiping up on that little screen. It became clear that BB10 is designed for a full screen device and they only produced the Q10 for those who wanted the true form of a BlackBerry. Hopefully, RIM sees this as a design flaw and will produce a trackpad version in the future.

With that said, I'm purchasing my first touch screen at the end of March (UGH!!)
    01-30-13 02:20 PM
    The demonstrator was very nervous. I am surprised that Kevin would make a video that does not help sell the product. Seems to me the issue was not the screen but the demonstrator. Kevin was there maybe he should comment.
    01-30-13 04:10 PM
    trackpad no trackpad not much a concern for me. just the fact that i have both a touchscreen and keyboard is enough for me. i will add though that when my keyboard on my torch 9800 went out the trackpad saved my life. i dont think i'll have to worry about my keyboard going out on the Q10 as long as it doesnt hit the ground as much as my torch did. haha
    01-30-13 04:29 PM
    I'll keep waiting then. My 9800 is just fine.

It will be interesting to see how they handle text selection without a trackpad. If it's anything like the PlayBook and the blue arrows, it will be a disaster. I don't like the iPhone "tap to zoom, then select text" crap either.

The trackpad offers precise cursor positioning. BlackBerry phones are used heavily for email and written communication. Without the trackpad it's fiddly as **** trying to reposition the cursor to add words in the middle of a sentece, etc...
    exactly my thoughts.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    joseanmx likes this.
    01-30-13 05:39 PM
    I was the last person I ever expected to go virtual instead of a physical keyboard. I was wrong. I do all the same things I used to do with my BB except BBM. If I need some precision, I expand the screen and use the bubble window to select text I want to copy. It is an adaptation, and immersion will lead to more efficient work after you get used to the difference. The lack of trackpad doesn't bother me a whit, and I'd rather have the extra screen real estate.
    01-30-13 05:47 PM
    I am very wary of the missing trackpad. I often select text and so far no touch-screen system I've seen (including the BB10, I have an alpha device) is much good - slow, imprecise, infuriating when dealing with more text than in the particular box and thus scrolling is involved.

And the missing yes/no call buttons don't improve the situation. I dislike using the screen to handle calls (I tend to miss calls that I want to take, and answer calls that I want to miss). I loved the 9900's ability to redial the last number with two clicks, just by feeling the key, without looking at the screen, same as a Nokia phone.

To be honest I'm in two minds about the Q10. Until now I automatically assumed that I was going to get one, now I'm actually not so certain. The software compared to the 9900 is a big improvement to be sure (it feels modern), but I think the missing keys are an essential faux-pas. And the suggested pricing seems way over the top for a brand fighting its way back into mainstream - an unlocked Nexus 4 is only 250 quid, and it arguably does a lot more (not necessarily everything better, but still).
    01-30-13 05:54 PM
    I was the last person I ever expected to go virtual instead of a physical keyboard. I was wrong. I do all the same things I used to do with my BB except BBM. If I need some precision, I expand the screen and use the bubble window to select text I want to copy. It is an adaptation, and immersion will lead to more efficient work after you get used to the difference. The lack of trackpad doesn't bother me a whit, and I'd rather have the extra screen real estate.
    You're not adapting if you have to do things less efficiently and with more effort, you're wasting time.

But as we've clearly seen today, BB10 is designed to lure in Apple users. So I don't expect RIM or BlackBerry or whatever they're called now to cater to users who want that finer level of control.
    01-30-13 06:30 PM
    You're not adapting if you have to do things less efficiently and with more effort, you're wasting time.

But as we've clearly seen today, BB10 is designed to lure in Apple users. So I don't expect RIM or BlackBerry or whatever they're called now to cater to users who want that finer level of control.
    I am totally with Burgerking. It just takes some practise (on my 9900).
    01-30-13 06:42 PM
    No, im using the Nokia E6 atmo, at first it feels missing a d-pad/track pad but soon the touch screen feels right.

I was testing how peek and flow would work with the keyboard and your thumb is in the perfect place.
    01-30-13 07:19 PM
    agreed. x10
    01-30-13 07:47 PM
80 1234