My understanding is that googlemaps is not available on the Q10. If that is true, what is the best substitute? I need something that can provide accurate walking directions, and links to public transportation information. My computer is a Mac, if that makes any difference. Thanks to anyone who can help.
    lee_michael_f92 likes this.
    07-22-13 10:29 PM
    I think you may be able to side load Gmaps as an android port?

Not too sure...

Maybe someone else has more insight on this. Not sure if it would work that great on the Q.
    07-22-13 10:36 PM
    I have the latest Gmaps from Android, a bar file that I use...initially it is a bit laggy, but is good for doing what it does [transit lines]

I see you said you use a Mac...I am not familiar with how to sideload on Mac, sorry!
    07-23-13 12:39 AM
    Well seeing as there is no official google maps aval, I just turn to the browser and search for google maps that way, it works fine for me, dont like the maps that comes with BB10

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 01:38 AM
    I use BlackBerry Maps most of the time, but when I need some point of interest or other transportations maps, I just use the Google Maps Mobile website. It's the same as an app, and has most functionalities. I just added an homescreen icon to access it directly and quickly.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 02:01 AM
    07-23-13 02:46 AM
    The best substitute is a phone with proper mapping solutions. Unfortunately Blackberry does not have that at this time.
    thedose likes this.
    07-23-13 03:17 AM
    The best substitute is a phone with proper mapping solutions. Unfortunately Blackberry does not have that at this time.
    Try what I use.

BlackBerry Maps
    07-23-13 04:15 AM
    I use sideloaded google maps and they work great (I even have turn by turn 3d navigation, street view etc). I strongly recomand you to sideload the app. If you need details on how to do this, just reply here and i'll come back in few hours with a detailed tutorial .

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q10
    07-23-13 04:26 AM
    I use sideloaded google maps and they work great (I even have turn by turn 3d navigation, street view etc). I strongly recomand you to sideload the app. If you need details on how to do this, just reply here and i'll come back in few hours with a detailed tutorial .

Could you explain it for me as well, please? (Tutorial) As I am not used to the "sideloading"/never did

Posted with my Blackberry Q10
    07-23-13 04:42 AM
    Could you explain it for me as well, please? (Tutorial) As I am not used to the "sideloading"/never did

Posted with my Blackberry Q10
    CrackBerry.com - How to put Android apps onto your BlackBerry 10 phone (Windows Guide)
    anischab likes this.
    07-23-13 04:52 AM
    I will come with screenshots later today and instructions more user-friendly than other

anischab likes this.
    07-23-13 04:59 AM
    I sideloaded Google maps as well and I agree that at first it was laggy. But for some reason the more I used it the smoother it got - no problems with it now. Works just as well as the version on my wife's iphone.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 05:49 AM
    Try what I use.

BlackBerry Maps
    I guess when I said proper I meant superior, not average or inferior. Apple Maps also is garbage.

Garmin is decent and Google reigns supreme. I have both of those.
    07-23-13 05:57 AM
    And you could also have just provided the op with your helpful links without the snide/sarcastic/condescending remark/attitude . . If you're going to take the time to respond at all it would not have taken any more or less time to respond nicely
    07-23-13 10:19 AM
    And you could also have just provided the op with your helpful links without the snide/sarcastic/condescending remark/attitude . . If you're going to take the time to respond at all it would not have taken any more or less time to respond nicely

Both of you are right lol but there is a search function and he did help... Although the snickering was prolly a lil unnecessary it's still good to point those in the direction of the search function. He helped and that's all that matters in my opinion can't take any criticism then don't lost on the forums... It's going to happen one way or another.

For walking and transit I agree with side loading the apps or using the mobile website. For driving, I recommend a garmin nuvi. It saves battery life and you don't have to worry about using your main device/ phone everytime you get into a vehicle. GPS is well worth the investment.
    07-23-13 10:44 AM
    I use BlackBerry Maps most of the time, but when I need some point of interest or other transportations maps, I just use the Google Maps Mobile website. It's the same as an app, and has most functionalities. I just added an homescreen icon to access it directly and quickly.

Posted via CB10
    That sounds great. How do I add a homscreen icon? I don't have the Q10 yet, but I'm getting one soon.
    07-23-13 10:03 PM
    I started a new topic because I use a Mac, and it seemed as though sideloading was quite difficult on a Mac.
    07-23-13 10:07 PM
    To install Google Maps on an os10 BB:
    1. Connect your phone to the pc and wait for the drivers to install (they usually install automatically).
    2. Download and install Blackberry Link on your pc: BlackBerry Link - BlackBerry 10 Smartphone to Computer Sync - US .
    3. Check that your phone to be recognised by the computer (you can acces the files and you BB Link should report that a phone is connected)..
    NB! In BB Link click on the phone's name (in the lower part) and if demanded eneter the phone's password.GoogleMaps-link.jpg
    Now you can disconnect the device (temporarily).
    4. Make sure you have Google Chrome installed on your windows pc.
    5.. Install this chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...m_source=gmail .
    Your browser will now open a tab like this: GoogleMaps-manage-your-device.jpg
    Make sure you bookmark this tab for further acces (by clicking the star in the upper right corner).
    6.Download "Maps_6.14.4.bar" from here Google Maps for Playbook and BB10 - Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Travel and Leisure Apps :: Android APP Store � Blackberry Playbook & Z10, A10, Q5 & Q10 Apps and save it on your desktop for easy acces.
    7. Open the settings app on your phone, go to "Security and Privacy" and then "Development Mode".GoogleMaps-security.jpg
    Turn on "Development Mode" and leave the "Development IP Adress" to default. Now the phone will ask you to put the security password (the one you use at the lockscreen' if you do not have one, you will have to create one).
    GoogleMaps-2013-07-23-23.05.22.pngGoogleMaps-2013-07-23-23.05.56.png .
    8. Reconnect your phone (make sure it was succesfully connected to the pc). Open Google Chrome and acces the page bookmarked at step 5. Enter the ip adress from step 7. If you have not changed anything, it shoould be: 169.254.0.1 .
    Enter it into the blank field, click save and then click on the blue text .GoogleMaps-manager.jpg
    Ignore any warnig about SSL and click on "acces anyway" (or something similar). Enter the device password (same used to activate development mode) when promted and click "Log in".
    9. You should now have a tab with a menu like this: GoogleMaps-menu.jpg
    Click on the "Install Apps" in the upper right corner and select the "Maps_6.14.4.bar" which you had previously saved. GoogleMaps-maps-bar.jpg
    The installing of the app will now launch.GoogleMaps-install-app.jpg
    Wait a little bit (about a minute) until you get the "succes" message. GoogleMaps-succes.jpg
    10. Disconnect the phone, turn off Development Mode (if you do not plan to install other apps using this method) and you should have an app called "Navigation".GoogleMaps-2013-07-24-10.41.49.png
    11. In this video I will present what are the problems of the app and how you should use it.

IMPORTANT:

Use this method only as described, otherwise I can't guarantee you the succes.

Do not delete any app (especially system apps) from the BB10 AppManager, if you do not know what is its meaning.

This method will work on many .BAR files (so fell free to sideload other apps; you cand find already converted apk android files to bar BB files on: Android APP Store � Blackberry Playbook & Z10, A10, Q5 & Q10 Apps

However, this method do not allows all Android apps. If you want to sideload any Android 2.3 application, visit: Tutorial: Run any Android 2.3.3 App on Blackberry10 � Qtness Development . This method is better, but a little bit more complicated.

There is a newer version of Google Maps available, but to install it you need to use the method from www.qtness.com
    anischab and Nunzyo like this.
    07-24-13 03:37 AM
    Superb tutorial!

Thanks for taking the time!

I've been using the xsacha method, I was personally never able to get the chrome browser to behave...

Thanks again! :-)

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    ioansuhov likes this.
    07-24-13 04:34 AM
    Superb tutorial!

Thanks for taking the time!

I've been using the xsacha method, I was personally never able to get the chrome browser to behave...

Thanks again! :-)

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    You're welcome. I am happy that I was able to help you

07-24-13 05:45 AM
    Well seeing as there is no official google maps aval, I just turn to the browser and search for google maps that way, it works fine for me, dont like the maps that comes with BB10

Posted via CB10
    Browser maps is surprisingly good. Google Transit is pretty good too.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 06:03 AM
    That sounds great. How do I add a homscreen icon? I don't have the Q10 yet, but I'm getting one soon.
    When you are on a webpage, say www.google.com/maps, just press the bottom right button with three dots on it and press 'Add to homescreen' button with the small house, or whatever it's written in English.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 01:20 AM
    My wife has stock Q10 on Verizon.

I loaded google maps on her phone for her but it's too laggy for her. She can't zoom in and out whenever she wants because it doesn't register all her finger touches.

The version I'm using to sideload is 6.14.4

Anyone who has an absolutely smooth experience: Can you tell me what version of google maps you have sideloaded?

Thanks.
    08-09-13 04:57 PM
    7.02 version of Google Maps is amazing . There is a post about it somewhere.

Edit: Sorry, just realized it was a stock Q10. That version of Google Maps above works on the latest10.2 leak.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-13 05:28 PM
27 12