On Friday I took the plunge and got a Q-10 to replace my aging Bold 9700 which replaced my underpowered Curve. So I have been with Blackberry for quite a while. One thing I have always been impressed with in Blackberry is the solidness and high quality feel. The Q-10 so far has not let me down. The keyboard on the Q-10 is terrific, it is better than the Bold, and I did not think that was possible. The device is snappy, the browser is screamingly fast both on wifi and on the cellular network.

Like all Blackberry products there is a learning curve, and the BB way of thinking is logical, or at least for me. The Q-10 is a little different than my Bold, and I had thought losing the trackpad would have been an issue, it has not been. The screen looks great, and so far the battery life seems to be longer than on my old Bold. And I will say it again, the keyboard is wonderful.

The only real drawback I have seen so far is the lack of apps, or in comparison to Android or iPhone. Wife has Android, daughter has iPhone so the household has access to everything. Some of the lack of apps are annoying, like one for the bank, and the airlines. However the browser is so much better that you can go to the bank or airlines website and do things that the app couldn't do. However it would be nice sometimes to have the app just because usually it is a lot easier than the website. Again, it has been something I have been dealing with for years being a long time Blackberry user, and like all Blackberry users we always seem to believe that in the next version of the software everything will be fixed.

Getting back to the build of the device, this weekend the wife, daughter and myself were in some extremely rural areas, at various times all of us were without signal. The iPhone seemed to have the most trouble getting a signal in fringe areas. Most of the time it said it had service, and showed several bars when my Blackberry showed only one. When we tried to make a call the iPhone it suddenly decided that no, it really didn't have service. Again, same carrier, three phones in the same car, the Android and Blackberry could make calls, the iPhone 5 could not. This does tend to make me believe that the iPhone does not have the strongest radio, or the best formed antenna. I'm not trying to bash the iPhone but did find that in fringe areas the Q-10 could make and receive calls, the iPhone could not.

On a positive on the Q-10 the software that moves everything from one device to another works exactly as advertised. All my contacts were moved effortlessly, as well as photos and music. All my memos were also moved, and I had forgotten just how many I had made over the years. There are also some nice new ringtones, and sounds, and the alarm tone selection is much better. Also like the new software that allows you to set a non-recurring alarm. I also think that I am a fan of the Hub, as it just makes things easier.

Blackberry Travel is excellent, just as it was on earlier versions of the software. If Blackberry could make more apps like this they would probably dominate the Smartphone market.

About the only thing I haven't been able to find a workaround is something for my podcasts. I have been using Versitile Monkey's Podtrapper, which I think is probably the best software for podcasts, as it allows you to download as many as you want to your SD card. If anyone has any suggestions, would appreciate them.
    BlackberryPig and madraving like this.
    06-17-13 04:05 PM
    Hi Colin, and welcome to CrackBerry!
    Well, looks like you joined 4 years ago, so congrats on finally making your 1st post anyway.

Please update your profile to show current device. It says you have a Curve 8320 still!
    And change your carrier if you're not on T-Mobile still.

Great initial thoughts on the Q10. Sounds pretty bang on.
    06-17-13 04:16 PM
    There is an app called "Podcasts" by Joshua Netterfield in BlackBerry World. I use it and it works well. Also the InTune app has a great many podcasts.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    06-18-13 12:52 AM
    Nice review. Update after a few more weeks, as I plan to do when I get mine.
    06-18-13 05:03 AM
    There is an app called "Podcasts" by Joshua Netterfield in BlackBerry World. I use it and it works well. Also the InTune app has a great many podcasts.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    Don't forget Nobex for podcasts as well.

Great review op.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 06:05 AM
    Don't forget Nobex for podcasts as well.

Great review op.

Posted via CB10
    True. I had been using Nobex for a long time as well. I just like the interface on InTune better.
    06-18-13 01:47 PM
    Thanks for the "Podcasts" by Joshua Netterfield. Nice program for just a couple of bucks!
    06-18-13 04:40 PM