I just received my brand new Q10 from an Australian shopping website who sources mobile phones amongst other goods from overseas in order to provide the cheapest (or cheaper than local retailers anyway) prices on to their customers.

The Q10 I received is a Middle Eastern spec SQN100-3 so it's fine on the local 4G networks and so on, but it does have the orange Arabic characters printed on the keyboard. At first I was like "oh okay no biggie" but as the day has gone on and I've seen the keyboard light up and there's all this orange everywhere I am not sure I am digging it.

Has anyone else got one of these Q10's with another language on the keys and does it bother you at all? For those with a regular English keyboard Q10, looking at the picture below do you reckon this would annoy you too? Perhaps I should just accept that this is what I get for getting the phone a good $300 cheaper than I would in a bricks and mortar store here in Australia.

Does/Would foreign characters on your Q10 keyboard annoy you?-unnamed.jpg
    09-16-14 02:45 AM
    It would not bug me at all. In fact, I have considered purchasing an Arabic/QWERTY keyboard for my Q10, but have decided that I will replace the standard QWERTY keyboard with a Cyrillic/QWERTY keyboard, since, besides English, the language that I most type is Russian, Arabic being the fifth-most typed.

I am still looking for a Cyrillic keyboard, if anyone has any leads...
    09-16-14 03:30 AM
    I just received my brand new Q10 from an Australian shopping website who sources mobile phones amongst other goods from overseas in order to provide the cheapest (or cheaper than local retailers anyway) prices on to their customers.

The Q10 I received is a Middle Eastern spec SQN100-3 so it's fine on the local 4G networks and so on, but it does have the orange Arabic characters printed on the keyboard. At first I was like "oh okay no biggie" but as the day has gone on and I've seen the keyboard light up and there's all this orange everywhere I am not sure I am digging it.

Has anyone else got one of these Q10's with another language on the keys and does it bother you at all? For those with a regular English keyboard Q10, looking at the picture below do you reckon this would annoy you too? Perhaps I should just accept that this is what I get for getting the phone a good $300 cheaper than I would in a bricks and mortar store here in Australia.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	298154
    I think it looks cool
    09-16-14 03:46 AM
    Well, there's your opportunity to learn Arabic! Grab it :-)
    jas1978 likes this.
    09-16-14 03:58 AM
    Exactly. I would use the opportunity to learn some Arabic.
    09-16-14 04:15 AM
    Exactly. I would use the opportunity to learn some Arabic.
    Keep in mind that Arabic is the hardest of the category 4 languages. English is the only category 5, so you have mastered that, already. The Arabic of the media, official government communication, etc, is the Fusha, or Modern Standard Arabic (MSA). There are dozens of regional dialects, which are not necessarily mutually understandable. I.E. a Yemani would only understand c. 35% of an Iraqi, who is speaking in dialect.

As a Linguist, Arabic is my 6th fluent language. I read, write, and speak MSA, as well as Iraqi, Egyptian, and Levantine dialects.
    09-16-14 04:28 AM
    Well, there's your opportunity to learn Arabic! Grab it :-)
    Good way of looking at it.
    09-16-14 04:32 AM
    Not as much as it annoys me that the UK version doesn't have the pound sterling sign as the default currency option...

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 04:47 AM
    Personally I have to admit: Yes, it would annoy me indeed. I'd be already dissatisfied with a standard English QWERTY (compared to our QWERTZ), but have those new characters on I would kind of annoy me.

However the real question is can you live with it or not. You can try grabbing a replacement keyboard and install it yourself if it really annoys you.
    09-16-14 04:49 AM
    Not as much as it annoys me that the UK version doesn't have the pound sterling sign as the default currency option...
    Yes, that would suck. At least you have the pound sterling symbol on the keyboard itself. My dollar sign has been replaced with something I can't make out.
    09-16-14 04:51 AM
    Personally I have to admit: Yes, it would annoy me indeed. I'd be already dissatisfied with a standard English QWERTY (compared to our QWERTZ), but have those new characters on I would kind of annoy me.

However the real question is can you live with it or not. You can try grabbing a replacement keyboard and install it yourself if it really annoys you.
    The thing is, I used to own a Q10 with a full English keyboard, and at the moment my wife has a white Q10 with a full English keyboard and to me it just looks more 'premium' if that makes sense. I really think its the orange/yellow colour of the keys themselves that is leaving a sour taste in the mouth more than the characters themselves. Especially in the dark when the back-light goes on it just looks weird. Hopefully it'll grow on me or I'll just stop caring once I get some more solid typing done on it. Early days.
    09-16-14 04:54 AM
    I have a similar issue with my keyboard. Got it fixed when it started doing that double-typing and this one was installed. I personally have grown to like it. It works normally and doesn't really affect anything except the look. I'd say give it more time, if you still don't get used to the look, order a new one to install.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    09-16-14 07:54 AM
    Pic didn't attach lol

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Attached Thumbnails Does/Would foreign characters on your Q10 keyboard annoy you?-20140916_075029.jpg  
    09-16-14 07:55 AM
    Perhaps it's because the English letters are smaller since they have to share real estate with the Arabic characters? Makes it look a lot busier and harder to see, perhaps that's why they made them orange, to differentiate. Tbh it wouldn't bother me but then I have standard keys so I couldn't say for sure. As a previous user stated maybe just buy a new keyboard and install
    09-16-14 08:41 AM
    For the price you paid, I would consider it a tolerable annoyance. But the smaller English alphabet letters might make my aging eyes complain. The bright side is that replacement keyboards these days are easily available at affordable prices. Not too painful.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-14 02:02 PM
    I had the Arabic characters on my Q10 and I love it! Looks proper fancy and quite unique! Doesn't annoy me like I expected it too!

Posted by my Special Edition Q10
    09-16-14 02:06 PM
    Relax dude, it's actually COOL.!! Enjoy it.

" Initiated from my QNX10 "
    09-16-14 04:43 PM
    Thanks for your responses. I guess I'll just hold out and if it starts to bug me just replace it. Thanks
    09-16-14 05:14 PM
    Not an annoyance. You have to shift gears though when concentrating on typing. Think it looks cool.
    09-17-14 02:01 PM
    Mobicity? I had a BlackBerry Javelin from them years ago that also had the Arabic on it, didn't really think much about it at all. I reckon you'll end up getting used to it.

Alternatively, can the keyboard be replaced?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-14 08:41 PM
    Not at all, in fact I like this. I do have the same keyboard as yours, Arabic. And I like it, it's somewhat different, use your phone for a couple of days and you will start liking it too.

Posted via CB10
    09-18-14 12:56 AM
    Mobicity?
    Nah mate, Kogan
    09-18-14 04:42 AM
    I'm Muslim so that KB would be awesome

Rockin the Q
    09-18-14 01:51 PM
    I would love to have Korean characters on my key board... I feel ******** whenever I try to type in korean....

Posted via CB10
    Mangelhaft likes this.
    09-18-14 01:58 PM