I dont know yet as I just got the Q10. Ive downloaded a crap load of apps so I already skewed up this months data experiment.

Does anyone know if the BB10 OS use more data than the old OS or not much difference? For example, its well known the iphone uses a lot more data than blackberry in the old days. Is the BB10 now a data hog or more in line with the old days but with a little more usage?

Im trying to determine if my data package is good enough.
    07-06-13 12:21 PM
    Yep. No more bis. So no compression of data.
    07-06-13 12:23 PM
    +1 to what dingster said. You also might want to take a look at this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-plans-820011/
    You'll find an indication of what changes others have made to their data plan and how that works for them
    07-06-13 12:26 PM
    Damn. Why did they discontinue it? Too much costs running the servers or something? Does that mean my ip on the phone is my provider and not blackberry servers anymore?

Oh yea that was my other question too. I tried adding my old BB push email and they no longer have it and is doing forwarding now.

So under normal conditions web surfing daily and watching a video or two what do you think one will need? I have 500mb and Im thinking its not enough? Iphone users need to be in the GB area.
    07-06-13 12:26 PM
    What kind of data increase factor do you reckon it is compared to the same sort of usage on the old BBs? 1.5X? 2X?
    07-06-13 12:28 PM
    I used to use 1 gb on my iPhone 4S at full usage. I think I will use about 1.5gb with my BB. I e-mail, phone, text, browse. What helped me is that I always connect to wi-fi when available. ALSO, on my iPhone I used to watch a LOT of YouTube videos, where I will not on my Q10. I have my iPhone for entertainment purposes such as YT
    07-06-13 12:49 PM
    Lets define "normal"...

It uses more than older BlackBerry devices, but imho not more than other mobiles.

Posted via CB10 from BB Q10
    07-06-13 12:57 PM
    Damn. Why did they discontinue it? Too much costs running the servers or something? Does that mean my ip on the phone is my provider and not blackberry servers anymore?

Oh yea that was my other question too. I tried adding my old BB push email and they no longer have it and is doing forwarding now.

So under normal conditions web surfing daily and watching a video or two what do you think one will need? I have 500mb and Im thinking its not enough? Iphone users need to be in the GB area.
    I have the 500gb plan as well (Roger) but if I can stay on WiFi while at home or work it's enough. Roaming in the USA is not nearly as painful as I used to be - $9/day or so instead of whatever roaming pack they had before.

Aside from BIS (which really cramped the kind of email you could read and support as well as heavily modifying web pages to make them fit into compressed space) the amount of data that the device sends is quite a bit more than previously: If you turn on all the features like, in my case, 3+ email accounts, LinkedIn, FaceBook, Twitter, FourSquare, DropBox, Games, Videos, surfing in general - It all adds up really quickly.

Simply put: The phone is a lot more versatile and speedy than the BBOS generation - but the price of that extra power is extra data.
    07-06-13 01:12 PM
    Ttune, just to make sure, don't you mean a 500 mb plan?
    07-06-13 01:14 PM
    I went from 200 megs to 500megs when I got my z10. I use 5 times as much data now, but partly because I am using it more as well. In reality, it was the old BBOS thag used less data. BB10 is on par with iOS and Android.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 01:49 PM
    Yep. Data flows directly betwee servers and phone, no more proxying. Personally I prefer it as you're no longer reliant in the BlackBerry DC (which has had 4 outages in the past year) and using standard protocols for communications. The exception is BlackBerry services like BBM of course.
    Seems that is being killed off by most carriers, yes.
    Everyone's usage will vary, but 1-2 GB is plenty assuming you leverage wifi where practical.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 02:09 PM
    The blackberry servers being down the few times never really bothered me. I think it is better with the compression cause it saves a lot on data. Not always in a wifi area or at least not an area youd want to use the wifi for, say with banking apps.

Does the new browser do mobile webpage anymore? It seems like it cant or its a hit or miss? Some sites display the mobile version, while some sites display the desktop version, which is graphics intensive and uses lot of memory.

Also can the new browser disable images etc? Seems they have a lot of little things to add here... lots of work left for RIM developers.
    07-07-13 12:09 AM
    I use WIFI most of the time whenever I can. Be smart and don't download App on the GSM network or watch unneccessary Youtube streaming. All in all, I use about 500-700MB per month.
    07-07-13 04:24 AM
    I dont know yet as I just got the Q10. Ive downloaded a crap load of apps so I already skewed up this months data experiment.

Does anyone know if the BB10 OS use more data than the old OS or not much difference? For example, its well known the iphone uses a lot more data than blackberry in the old days. Is the BB10 now a data hog or more in line with the old days but with a little more usage?

Uses more data than previous BlackBerry devices, yes. With my Bold I would average about 300mb/month with an unlimited data plan, and I spend more time on cellular network than I do WiFi. Included is a screenshot of this past month's usage, including the past 10 days completely on LTE network while on vacation - used BlackBerry Maps with a sprinkling of Google web maps on the road and looking things up in unfamiliar locations, browsing CB, reading web articles, showing Crackle off to my in-laws, not to mention keeping up with messages. As you can see I'm not getting anywhere near my 2GB cap, but depending on your usage your mileage may vary.
    Attached Thumbnails Does the BB10 use more data than normal?-img_00000460.jpg  
    07-07-13 05:13 AM
    I was wondering the same thing. How much data does push on an exchange active sync use if one receives/sends 100 emails /day? I had kept my iPhone set to not push but what's the point of this OS and device if it isn't doing its job?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 06:56 AM
    LOL. Ive only used the BB for a week. 2GB data used. Way to go.

Used to be under 500mb consistently month over month for a better part of a few years. Now, 1 week = 2GB. Ok, so I am streaming videos a bit more than normal. But wow. This figure is already lower than reality due to wifi usage whenever possible.

BIS makes a difference.

On a side note, is there any way for the carrier to differentiate between how the data is used, specifically whether it be used for tethering, mobile hotspot or straight up data use on the BB itself? Also, does LTE cause websites to stream you the higher quality videos by default? So, I guess if I still wana watch the videos in crappier quality, can I downgrade the reception to 3G so I can limit the automatic uploading of high def videos by websites? Foxnews streams desktop quality videos (i can tell by the crispness) when I stream their videos. I bet they were responsible for much of my data usage. Mostly I do it for the sound. Is there a way to cap the video quality so I dont go over with my video streaming?
    07-14-13 03:47 AM
    LOL. Ive only used the BB for a week. 2GB data used. Way to go.

Used to be under 500mb consistently month over month for a better part of a few years. Now, 1 week = 2GB. Ok, so I am streaming videos a bit more than normal. But wow. This figure is already lower than reality due to wifi usage whenever possible.

BIS makes a difference.
    There's your problem. Under a "normal usage" scenario, expected data usage should be roughly double over what was used on BIS.

On a side note, is there any way for the carrier to differentiate between how the data is used, specifically whether it be used for tethering, mobile hotspot or straight up data use on the BB itself? Also, does LTE cause websites to stream you the higher quality videos by default? So, I guess if I still wana watch the videos in crappier quality, can I downgrade the reception to 3G so I can limit the automatic uploading of high def videos by websites? Foxnews streams desktop quality videos (i can tell by the crispness) when I stream their videos. I bet they were responsible for much of my data usage. Mostly I do it for the sound. Is there a way to cap the video quality so I dont go over with my video streaming?
    Carriers can't differentiate, activating the according option in the phone is how they know. As far as they're concerned, it's data being used over their network.
    07-14-13 06:55 AM
    There's your problem. Under a "normal usage" scenario, expected data usage should be roughly double over what was used on BIS.

Carriers can't differentiate, activating the according option in the phone is how they know. As far as they're concerned, it's data being used over their network.
    Yeah.

Well some carriers used to not only tethering and charge extra.

Is there a way to dumb down the streaming quality? I guess some sites predict your speed and automatically enroll you to the best video quality. The 4G LTE is kinda fast so some of the websites have been streaming me probably 720p or 1080p videos, like foxnews.com. Anyway to do a video setting where I put a limit on the video quality for streaming over cellular?
    07-14-13 10:41 AM
    Yeah.

Well some carriers used to not only tethering and charge extra.

Is there a way to dumb down the streaming quality? I guess some sites predict your speed and automatically enroll you to the best video quality. The 4G LTE is kinda fast so some of the websites have been streaming me probably 720p or 1080p videos, like foxnews.com. Anyway to do a video setting where I put a limit on the video quality for streaming over cellular?
    Not unless you can find a setting within the video itself from what I can figure.

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 07:01 PM

It uses more data than BBOS devices. BBOS devices use BIS which among a few other things, compresses data. BB10 does not use BIS so your data will not be compressed. Therefore, you will use more. BB10 is now like any other platform when it comes to data usage.
    07-14-13 07:06 PM
    Yes if you are connected to LTE! As data compression is no longer supported in BlackBerry OS10. Make sure you have at least 1GB.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 10:55 AM