In 2005 I bought my first BlackBerry - the 8700. Since then I held nothing but BlackBerry devices right up until April of this year. I had enough of the 'lack of apps', the side-loading process and the concept of having to undertake that process in the first place. I had enough of spending hard earned money on devices such as the Playbook which frankly was an utter failure coated in broken promises which to this day continues to collect dust somewhere in my home office.

I took the plunge. I gave up on my Q10 selling it on eBay and went ahead and bought myself the "latest and greatest phone" the Samsung Galaxy S5. At first it was amazing; the user customisation available through the OS, the ease of loading apps, the quality of the cameras and the bright vivid display were all very welcome additions and changes to what I was used to. Then after a while I found myself missing something.

In a word, SIMPLICITY.

Golly, after having the latest fully spec loaded phone for a couple of months I am truly confused as to what all the fuss is about. Yes, the S5 is a powerhouse in terms of its specs and it is absolutely feature loaded BUT in my experience most of those specs were overkill and the majority of the additional features this phone provided me with were things I just never ever use. BlackBerry 10 to me was all about getting things done in an efficient and simple manner. The gestures are smooth and easy to master. The HUB is genius and nothing on the Android environment comes close to it. And does anything need to be said about the Q10's keyboard?

The app catalogue in the Android world is undoubtedly more extensive and possesses much more quality apps and I must say that the fluidity in which they run on an Android device outshines what I had experienced previously using a Q10 in the past. However I am not a massive app guy in the first place. Truthfully, I only really use a smartphone for web browsing, calls/text, banking and a few apps here and there like My Fitness Pal and banking apps.

The only thing I feel the S5 does better is the camera. I was never entirely satisfied with the camera on the Q10 and comparing photos from the two phones its easy to see that the shots taken on the S5 are far superior.

All in all I really do miss my Q10. Probably the only thing I didn't really like about it was the lack of dark themed hub but reading around here a bit I see that is on the way.

The S5 is a great phone but it's not for me. I prefer the understated sleek look and design of the Q10 (which won't fall out of my pocket every time I sit down in my car), the wonderful BB10 OS and having easy swipe control of getting to my messages in split second and then getting back to what I was doing the next and of course the amazing keyboard which let's me smash out a message in no time at all.

Has anyone else here tried another phone after using BB10? Did you also find yourself missing the pleasure of using your BlackBerry? I must say I can't wait to buy a new Q10 and load the latest leaks

Thanks for reading.
    08-29-14 07:23 AM
    I think it is a great thing to try other platforms. In that way u can make a better informed decision on what works for you. People listen when I tell them why I have BlackBerrys because I take my time to list the pros that work for my lifestyle. But that's because we own Android devices and were Apple users for a long time. So I am aware of each platform's appeal.

I have bought three Q10s while keeping my Z10. I am now on my fourth and passing the Z10 over to my son. The simplicity and classic design of this efficient device suits me to a tee. I am looking forward to learning more about the Classic.

Typed with my Q10, or Z10, or Q10, or...
    anon(2313227) and dayno25 like this.
    08-29-14 07:30 AM
    I have an S4 before the S5 came out. I can't get used to that thing still. It is relegated to being a universal remote and TVon app. Also use it to play farm heroes /candy crush a while back when I run out of lives on my Z30.
    dayno25 likes this.
    08-29-14 07:34 AM
    I can't say I have ever left my Q10 to go to another phone to come back and I don't think I ever will in all honesty! However I have tried using the Mr's work phone which is a Sony Ericsson Arch S in white and I seriously couldn't use it after having had a Z10 and a Q10 and I can't really compare anything to a BB10 phone!

You do right Ditching Galaxy S5 to come back to a Q10

I own the Q10 in White and as for the Camera issue it's amazing on 10.3

dayno25 likes this.
    08-29-14 07:36 AM
    In 2005 I bought my first BlackBerry - the 8700. Since then I held nothing but BlackBerry devices right up until April of this year. I had enough of the 'lack of apps', the side-loading process and the concept of having to undertake that process in the first place. I had enough of spending hard earned money on devices such as the Playbook which frankly was an utter failure coated in broken promises which to this day continues to collect dust somewhere in my home office.

I took the plunge. I gave up on my Q10 selling it on eBay and went ahead and bought myself the "latest and greatest phone" the Samsung Galaxy S5. At first it was amazing; the user customisation available through the OS, the ease of loading apps, the quality of the cameras and the bright vivid display were all very welcome additions and changes to what I was used to. Then after a while I found myself missing something.

In a word, SIMPLICITY.

Golly, after having the latest fully spec loaded phone for a couple of months I am truly confused as to what all the fuss is about. Yes, the S5 is a powerhouse in terms of its specs and it is absolutely feature loaded BUT in my experience most of those specs were overkill and the majority of the additional features this phone provided me with were things I just never ever use. BlackBerry 10 to me was all about getting things done in an efficient and simple manner. The gestures are smooth and easy to master. The HUB is genius and nothing on the Android environment comes close to it. And does anything need to be said about the Q10's keyboard?

The app catalogue in the Android world is undoubtedly more extensive and possesses much more quality apps and I must say that the fluidity in which they run on an Android device outshines what I had experienced previously using a Q10 in the past. However I am not a massive app guy in the first place. Truthfully, I only really use a smartphone for web browsing, calls/text, banking and a few apps here and there like My Fitness Pal and banking apps.

The only thing I feel the S5 does better is the camera. I was never entirely satisfied with the camera on the Q10 and comparing photos from the two phones its easy to see that the shots taken on the S5 are far superior.

All in all I really do miss my Q10. Probably the only thing I didn't really like about it was the lack of dark themed hub but reading around here a bit I see that is on the way.

The S5 is a great phone but it's not for me. I prefer the understated sleek look and design of the Q10 (which won't fall out of my pocket every time I sit down in my car), the wonderful BB10 OS and having easy swipe control of getting to my messages in split second and then getting back to what I was doing the next and of course the amazing keyboard which let's me smash out a message in no time at all.

Has anyone else here tried another phone after using BB10? Did you also find yourself missing the pleasure of using your BlackBerry? I must say I can't wait to buy a new Q10 and load the latest leaks

Thanks for reading.
    I'm not a big Android lover either. Just like you, they are fun at the beginning but get old quick.

Now myself, I see myself going back and fourth between ios and my BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 08:30 AM
    I started out with some of the later legacy devices (the Torch 2 being my last) and just could not stand the lack of apps. Everything else I loved, but since all my friends are super connected through android/iphone apps I was so left out because I was clinging to my BlackBerry. So I finally made the switch to the galaxy relay because it had a keyboard.

I liked android for its streamlined interface, and the access to all the utilities and apps I could want, but it just could not hold a candle to BlackBerry. No matter how much I customized my phone I could not get it to match the experience. After a year on android I switched to the Q10 which, while a lot different from my experience on the Torch, still carries the spirit of the original OS while improving on so many other levels that it really is like a completely separate entity. I am more addicted to my BlackBerry than ever and with 10.3 coming out, the fact that this phone is STILL upgradeable means I will continue to be addicted for a long time to come

Posted via CB10
    BullGuard8 and dayno25 like this.
    08-29-14 09:40 AM
    I could relate as well. I just got my new Q10 last month and couldn't be happier. I still have my Note 3, but these days, I just use it for browsing, videos, and as a hotspot since it has my sim with LTE on it.

All the heavy lifting with communications - email, sms, chat, phone calls - I do on the Q10.

I'm not much into apps, so for most part of the day, the Q10 is my go to device.

It's a sea of Samsungs and iphones where I live and I don't see people in public ogling my phone, no matter how rare it is. I've never seen any BlackBerry 10 device in public aside from mine. I've no doubt people who see my device dismiss it as a legacy BlackBerry device, meaning, a dinosaur. And that's perfectly alright with me. Having the Q10 is like having a hidden gem. I can't help but smile a little every time I type on my Q10. People don't know what they're missing.

Posted via CB10
    dayno25, suryoo and anon(1723145) like this.
    08-29-14 10:21 AM
    It's a sea of Samsungs and iphones where I live and I don't see people in public ogling my phone, no matter how rare it is. I've never seen any BlackBerry 10 device in public aside from mine. I've no doubt people who see my device dismiss it as a legacy BlackBerry device, meaning, a dinosaur. And that's perfectly alright with me. Having the Q10 is like having a hidden gem. I can't help but smile a little every time I type on my Q10. People don't know what they're missing.
    Wow, I am on the exact same boat.
    08-29-14 11:36 AM
    Same here i had galaxy s4 and I still have it but fewer use it I thought to use it for internet when I'm home but it just lying in a drawer, and around me is all android,iphone and i am I like some freak with my BlackBerry, but i just love when i go coffe or somewhere and i put my q10 on table and just look how everybody look at my phone

Posted via CB10
    08-29-14 12:47 PM
    I had an LG G2. It also have a 2GB RAM with a much more powerfull processor. it lags sometimes, out of RAM. on a normal usage, the G2 would have at most 500-600MB free RAM. but that won't last long. most of the time using the stock ROM on G2, you would have 300-400 free RAM if you need to be lag free.
    and it means: installing an app to kill other apps! some of my android friends would say that android has a good memory management, they would still use this app or that app to kill other apps, or to freeze some apps in the background process.

I bought a used Q5 for around $150, (a third of the price of the LG G2 $450). for my work need, it's 2GB RAM has never failed me. the messaging is quick, the reception is OK, the keypad is OK (almost never had typo). even some missing android apps would work too on my Q5!
    09-14-14 05:53 AM
    I've tried several platforms. Windows Phone on the Lumia 920, Android on the Moto G and X and iOS on the iPhone 4 and 5s even webOS on the Pre 3.

You know what? I feel like yourself, I spent hundreds if no thousands to try platforms and every time I came back to my Z10, it was something else. I'm not for apps, and the android runtime in 10.3 is awesome and with developers like Nemory we get Snapchat and Instagram native. I decided to spend the cash and purchase a Q10 I don't regret it and I'm a BlackBerry convert now and proud.

Posted by my Special Edition Q10
    09-14-14 06:33 AM
    I did much the same thing, only a year earlier. I had a Z10 but got discouraged with the sideloading and also with BlackBerry seeking a buyer. I got an S4. It was a good phone, and my experience wasn't terrible, although it did get worse when KitKat came.

That was in August 2013. By last March I wanted to be back on BB10, for reasons I don't fully understand myself. But simplicity has something do do with it. And when I get the urge to get complicated there's usually a leak to play with.

Posted from my Q10.
    09-14-14 06:53 AM
    I have always been using an Android device, till a week ago when I finally dived into the BB bandwagon through a Q10. And so far I am decently surprised and kind of hooked to my Q10. I am still holding back to my Optimus G Pro but that is mostly for listening to music and playing games :P .
    Everything I ever heard about BB is really true - it is one hell of a communication platform...
    As a matter of fact I so much fell in love with it, I ordered a Playbook 4G (yeah, I know its dead - but I am getting it for roughly $60 on ebay in India)....
    What really disappoints me is the bad press BB is getting these days - this is an amazing platform, yet there is hardly any good publicity about it in media. Yeah - there is a dearth of applications on the BB hub, I noticed as I come from Android. But the real truth is - you need apps if the apps that are comes with the OS are not able to cater to your need. So far I have not found any task that the Q10 couldn't handle which I thought of doing...
    May be Playbook also got a bad press for nothing... Can't wait for Tuesday when I get my hands on the Playbook
    09-14-14 07:05 AM
    I also have an iPhone 5s (jailbroken) and believe it or not you can do everything a blackberry device can do
    Jailbreak makes the iPhone a blackberry device
    Root access makes it do everything you wish
    3rd party devs are doing a great job for the jailbreak community and have made so many tweaks for the phone that you can't believe what you can do with the device
    I love both devices the same and every one for its different reasons
    The Q has the most amazing physical keyboard out there
    Unfortunately the only problem with the Q is the battery
    Believe it or not the iPhone 5s has a better battery than the Q
    I love both of them the same
    My personal opinion

From My Sexy Q10...
    09-14-14 08:44 AM
    I have had the legacy bb's, an iphone, then went samsung androids for about 2 years. I love the android...but then the q10 came out and I decided to give it a try. I can't say I am planning on going back to any other device.

I also have a Galaxy S4 for work and it drives me crazy. I love androids, but for the aspect of being productive and always in the know, I would much rather have my q10. The lack of apps sometimes bothers me, but I can get just about every app I need on a regular basis from snap. I'm not big into games, since my main concern is productivity.

I even tried to load my work enterprise account on it and loved every minute of it...until I got an email from the IT department telling me that I needed to remove it from my phone or they would wipe it.

The q10 imo just flows so much better between tasks. I hate not having my hub or the keyboard (on the s4). I feel like to switch between important tasks takes longer and more taps/movements to accomplish. I am counting down until they will let me change my work phone out...maybe I can get the passport then!

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 07:46 PM
    For years the only device I ever owned after an old school Nokia phone was a Blackberry. It served my purpose of utilizing speakerphone, easy texting , emails, contacts and web use. Spending hours on calls, emailing, texting in a successful business model. About 2 months ago I went for the Samsung S5. My thinking was, could everyone be so wrong how Samsung and Apple owned the market and Blackberry was ancient and dying? Well today I ordered the Q10 and am awaiting the arrival of my Blackberry happily handing of the S5 to a family member.
    Here is what I found, the speaker phone on the S5 is useless, you can hear fine but nobody can hear you clearly. Typical response from clients friends alike was you sound far away or under water. I cant type with one hand I'm 6'.4" and can all but palm a basketball yet I need two hands to text/email on a S5. Almost impossible to text a message/email without errors all the while wasting time correcting a short email as the touch screens are good but not great. Cant keep the S5 in my pocket as it is simply too big. The one thing that S5 excelled at was taking pictures. Great pictures. However, when clients can't hear you on a speaker phone, proper text/email messages are a constant battle and the phone is so bulky and cumbersome that you would just assume carry it then leave it in your pocket than I think I will settle for good pictures instead of great pictures and utilize all the form, functionality and efficiency of the Blackberry. In 10 years not one cracked screen with a BB. In 2 months one cracked screen with a Samsung. Blackberry if you market to the average person who wants to email, text and wants smooth functionality you will once again own the smart phone market. You should be crushing the advertising market with the basics of how your phone the Q10 destroys the competition in simplicity and practical use. The advertising ideas are endless. My goodness BB, you have a marketing dream here with all the advantages of BB over the competition. Yet I cant buy one in the store, yikes! I'm just as happy to order on line but you should buy out what's left of radio shack and have your own stores. The US is waiting for you and they don't even know it! Anyhow BB email me I will lead the charge! Blackberry where functionality meets technology! Thank you.
    09-27-14 12:22 PM