Hi,
    for some reason I have a huge amount of duplicate contacts on my phone, which consist of duplicates from my Exchange account and 'local' contacts.
    Since all of my contacts only need to be on exchange I wanted to delete all the local ones by going to settings -- accounts -- (three dot menu) -- delete all local contacts.
    I confirm that I want them deleted, but nothing happens. Not a single local contact gets removed. I have restarted the device, long-closed the contacts app, turned of synching with exchange and then deleting etc. Nothing has worked so far.
    Am I missing something?
    Thank you.
    07-03-13 05:56 AM
    The delete may not be instantaneous, but a background task and take a while.

Do you have FaceBook contacts or other social accounts like LinkedIn enabled? You may be see those as well.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 07:55 AM
    Hi, the facebook contacts and so on are only very few and they are clearly marked (and also hideable), but there are many contacts that are 'local' (I checked that by going to the contact, clicking on the link and it says the contact is a local contact).
    It's not running in the background, because after about 3 hours the problem unfortunately still persists. I really want to like the new BB, but it's becoming increasingly frustrating to use.
    I will probably have to wipe the device if all of this persists and hope the problems don't return.
    07-03-13 10:29 AM
    It may take a while. And when I say a while, I mean a WHILE. I went to delete 200 with that method and it took probably close to an hour.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 11:49 AM
    Try reset..did the trick for me
    07-04-13 03:10 AM
    Try this. It may work. Click on your contacts icon on your home screen. Then swipe down and click settings. You should be able to check on and off which types of contacts you want. For example, all my LinkedIn and Facebook contacts had my address book with lots of duplicates. When I checked "off" for those accounts only leaving Local, Sim, and BBM it removed all the duplicates. Not sure that is the same issue you are having so sorry if that doesn't help.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 03:15 AM
    Hi. I can't seem to find that setting you're talking about in the contacts app... I am actually finding a way to stop my Fon from copying all my facebook friends to my local contact. please help. I'm using a BlackBerryQ10. Thank you!

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 11:04 AM
    Try this. It may work. Click on your contacts icon on your home screen. Then swipe down and click settings. You should be able to check on and off which types of contacts you want. For example, all my LinkedIn and Facebook contacts had my address book with lots of duplicates. When I checked "off" for those accounts only leaving Local, Sim, and BBM it removed all the duplicates. Not sure that is the same issue you are having so sorry if that doesn't help.

Posted via CB10
    I can't find the gear setting in the contacts app. Everytime I try to use facebook app, it automatically syncs my friends contacts to my local device. Anyway I can avoid this?
    07-04-13 11:14 AM
    WashRinseRepeat, sorry it's not working, apparently your issue isn't one I'm familiar with. K8dgreat, from your main BlackBerry screen you need to locate your contacts icon (looks like the address book, labeled Contacts". Open it. Once open you should have your Favs up top and all your numbers below. Swipe down and you will see a left option and a right option. The left side is HELP. The right side is SETTINGS. Click on SETTINGS and turn Facebook fron ON to OFF. This should remove Facebook contacts that are not Local contacts as well.

Posted with my BlackBerry Q10. The best damn phone on the planet.
    07-04-13 11:24 AM
    Hi, sorry for not being completely clear, but the settings I was talking about was the main settings app (swipe down on home screen, click on settings, accounts, three dots, delete local contacts)
    I have actually waited for about 15 minutes, but I could not find a single deleted local contact.
    Citystars41: Did you see something like a circle or any other indicator of the deletion process? Because I don't get any feedback.

The facebook contacts are not the problem, since even when I turn them off, I still have a huge amount of duplicates, since it shows my exchange contacts and the local contacts. There is also no way to turn off local contacts, as it seems.
    The big issue that is caused by this, is not only insane clutter of my address book, but also that sometimes it doesn't show the caller ID, during a call, because it doesn't know which of the two contacts to show.
    Really, really annoying.

I most likely will have to try a reset...
    07-05-13 03:36 AM
    Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 02:13 PM
    What does local contacts represent? Contacts created on the q10? Why is the "catagories" option no longer available?
    07-15-13 05:53 AM
    Mine does not work either. Solved simply deleting the bblink account completely and recyincing.

Worked for me. Deletes contacts and calendar altogether.
    10-21-13 10:56 AM
    All of this is really anoying. Eventually, after doing all this and deleting bblink account and turning everything off, there are still some contacts on my phone. Incredible!

I've just figured out all the contacts in my phone are contacts shared with skype. I once installed the skype beta and connected to my skype account. Uninstalling did not delete the contacts created and now they are still there.

How will I get rid of them is a mistery for me at the moment, but I'm starting to think that a wipe is the only solution to purge this f*cking contacts...

Hope this helps!
    12-05-13 09:55 AM
    Contacts and calendars are hard to make work correctly in bb10 in my opinion. I have had issues from day one and it took a lot of fixing to have my contacts accurate both on my computer and my phone.

I wish that link contacts would work better. Sometimes it is right but missed lots and I think that is why duplicate entries.

When I click the link in contacts I wish I could link them to different lists but the option is only to link contacts together.

Leaked 10.2.1. Couldn't resist
    12-05-13 11:49 AM