I'm having problems with setting custom notifications for people in my contact list. Even after setting them up, it still uses the default (in Settings > Notifications) tones for calls, texts, emails, etc. Are others having this problem, or am I one of the unlucky few? Would really like to get this working, so I can tell right away from the custom tone who is contacting me.
    05-16-13 08:54 PM
    I'm having problems with setting custom notifications for people in my contact list. Even after setting them up, it still uses the default (in Settings > Notifications) tones for calls, texts, emails, etc. Are others having this problem, or am I one of the unlucky few? Would really like to get this working, so I can tell right away from the custom tone who is contacting me.
    Have you tried rebooting the device than reapplying the settings to see if they stick? And just a FYI right now custom notification at this time is only for Phone, Email and BBM
    05-16-13 09:15 PM
    Yep, tried that a couple times without success, phone still uses default after setting custom contact tone. It'll be nice when a custom tone can bet set for contacts when they text, as I use sms a lot.
    05-16-13 09:27 PM
    Have you tried rebooting the device than reapplying the settings to see if they stick? And just a FYI right now custom notification at this time is only for Phone, Email and BBM
    Not for OS 10.1...
    05-16-13 10:21 PM
    Not for OS 10.1...
    Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.1880

Custom Notifications for Contacts-img_00000002.png
    Custom Notifications for Contacts-img_00000003.png

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 10:28 PM
    Yes, OS 10.1 definitely has custom tones for contacts, but like Kris said, so far only for phone, BBM and email. I'll let you know if (when! lol) I get the custom tones for contacts working...
    05-16-13 10:33 PM
    as in the other thread that we're both in, I haven't been able to find a solution for the custom notifications.

the only one that seemed to work for me is a ringtone for a person in my contact list, but that same person's messages and such use the default tones still.

battery pulls, reboots, playing with profles, deleting contacts and re-adding them and a slew of other stuff I've tried didn't seem to affect it.

if you find a solution, let us know.

hopefully it's fixed in the next update.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 10:48 PM
    Will let you know for sure. trymion, I just looked through the other thread we both posted in, and I noticed you said "I've set custom sounds, vibrate options, led, etc., and it continues to use the default sound for whatever I'm receiving (e.g. SMS default sound instead of custom sound set in the contact)".

Like Kris said above, right now custom notification at this time is only for Phone, Email and BBM, so where it says "Message" for custom tone in contacts it means email message and not sms. Sadly no sms custom tones for contacts yet, hopefully better custom notifications in the next OS update.
    05-16-13 11:18 PM
    Well, I have no idea what the heck I did, but tested it this morning, and seems that custom message (email) tone for contacts is now working. Weird.

So, keep trying it out, maybe you'll eventually get it to work. Now if I just had the option to have a custom tone for sms, I'd be a happy camper with notifications.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 12:51 PM
    When I go to contacts, select a contact for a dedicated ringtone, go to edit and then select Ring tone and Notifications, there is only a default option and once called "active". I downloaded an app with additional ringtones and it is in the music file but I can't figure out how to have those ringtone options available for my contacts. Advice and help appreciated. Thanks.
    06-13-13 09:59 PM
    Welcome to the forums, heilbronn. The "Active" is a ringtone, scroll past it and you will see the rest of the built-in ringtones, your custom ringtones, as well as any songs in your music library. Also, where it says you can have a custom tone for "Messages" in Contacts, it means email and not sms. Custom tones for sms aren't available for individual contacts yet, but hopefully will be in an OS update. Hope that helps you.
    06-13-13 10:40 PM
    Thanks but "active" seems to be the only option other than "default". There doesn't appear to be any way to scroll to other options. When I select "phone ring tone", it just switches between active and default.
    06-13-13 11:19 PM
    This is what you see when in the contacts trying to customise ringtone? If so, then very lightly scroll down past Active tone. If you're still having a bit of trouble, I'll see if I can search out a youtube video for a better idea of what I mean, vid is way easier to explain with than my words.

EDIT: when you're scrolling, scroll UP with your thumb to see the rest of the ringtones that are located below the ringtone called Active.

Custom Notifications for Contacts-img_00000055.png

Posted via CB10 on my sexy Q10
    06-13-13 11:38 PM
    Ah! Got it. Thanks a lot. One more question: how can I preview whatbthemringtones sound like before selecting one? When I touch one it flashes blue but doesn't preview the sound.
    06-13-13 11:46 PM
    Good stuff!. Unfortunately, there's no sound preview yet. I'm really hoping they add this feature in their next update, because it drives me crazy not being able to preview the sounds! It would save so much time when choosing a ringtone.

06-13-13 11:53 PM
    Ok. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated
    06-14-13 07:25 AM
    You're very welcome.

06-14-13 11:47 AM
    Awesome assist! Thanks guys. I had th same problem. Didn't realize you could scoll down below *Active"

Posted via CB10
    06-20-13 06:42 AM
    So glad this thread helps others out. It seems this is a common one that can easily trip first time users up, and can be quite frustrating trying to figure out.

And thank you very much for the "thanks", stickville! It certainly makes helping out worthwhile...

06-20-13 12:15 PM
    In the new MR release in Contacts they changed "Messages" to "Email Messages" in 'Ringtone and Notification', so there should be no more confusion now with folks thinking "Messages" means SMS. Hopefully, in the next update they will add custom tones for SMS.

08-01-13 06:40 PM
    I got a Q10 a little over a month ago and was wondering if it's still not an option for SMS. I can't seem to get a clear answer when using Google or the site search engine; apparently this is a feature 10.2 offers?
    12-09-13 01:17 PM