Howdy!

Currently have a 9930, and am looking at possible upgrade options within the next few months. I like the Q-10, but I have a couple of concerns. The biggest two follow:

• Army Knowledge Online (AKO) email: I get this on my 9930. Does anyone out there with a Q-10 (or Z-10) have AKO email successfully set up on their device?
    • One-button speed-dial: I can hold down the "H" key on my 9930, and it will speed-dial home. Does the Q-10 come with that capability, or is there an application out there that enables it?

Those are the two biggest "show-stoppers" that would prevent my upgrading. Here are some other minor concerns:

• Bedside Mode: I use it, along with the alarm clock, quite a bit. Is that feature carried over with the Q-10?
    • Answer and hang up with holster.
    • Seamless email: My 9930 is a turn-key operation. I plug in email addresses and passwords, and its good to go. Can I expect a similar experience on the Q-10, or is there more "buttpain" involved?

Thanks for taking time to read this, and I look forward to your answers!
    10-07-13 03:44 PM
    Howdy!

Currently have a 9930, and am looking at possible upgrade options within the next few months. I like the Q-10, but I have a couple of concerns. The biggest two follow:

• Army Knowledge Online (AKO) email: I get this on my 9930. Does anyone out there with a Q-10 (or Z-10) have AKO email successfully set up on their device?
    • One-button speed-dial: I can hold down the "H" key on my 9930, and it will speed-dial home. Does the Q-10 come with that capability, or is there an application out there that enables it?

Those are the two biggest "show-stoppers" that would prevent my upgrading. Here are some other minor concerns:

• Bedside Mode: I use it, along with the alarm clock, quite a bit. Is that feature carried over with the Q-10?
    • Seamless email: My 9930 is a turn-key operation. I plug in email addresses and passwords, and its good to go. Can I expect a similar experience on the Q-10, or is there more "buttpain" involved?

Thanks for taking time to read this, and I look forward to your answers!
    i don't know about your AKO game i'm afraid, but you are out of luck with your speed dial. you need to open the dialing app and switch to the dialing keypad tab. Only then can you speed dial. Personally I leave my dialler tab active and always have the phone app running as an active frame. Its at least 1 less step, although far from ideal. If what i was told by Michael Clewley on twitter is true though, it will be coming in 10.2. I would wait and see if that is the case before I based a purchase on it though.

There is a bedside mode to the clock, but its less feature filled. you can't really customise it too much. You can't set times for it to be active, and you can only really specify no notifications at all, or phone calls only.

Answer and hang up with the holster works fine

Email is pretty straight forward to configure iirc. I wouldn't expect too much trouble
    10-07-13 04:02 PM
    There is no speed-dial from the home screen, but there is the old keypress speed dial from the number pad of the phone app. There is also a new type of favouriting contacts into tiles above your call log, which I find easier than the keypad speed dial. Of course, nothing beats homescreen speed dial, but that is not here yet.

• Bedside Mode: I use it, along with the alarm clock, quite a bit. Is that feature carried over with the Q-10
    Yes, it is quite easy to access: press the lock button, wait for the screen to blank, then press the lock button (or a number on the keyboard) to show the lock screen. Swipe down from the top bezel to "pull down the shades" and activate bedside mode.

Yes, access those options by opening the phone app, then swiping down from the top bezel to access Settings. Note that this function is disabled while whilst paired to a Bluetooth headset.

Yes, most email accounts are turn-key. I'm not sure about your AKO email, I've never used it.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-07-13 04:09 PM
    While already answered about one key dialing, there is a feature with search I like. When the phone is unlocked, just start to type - call Tom (or email or text) and the info for Tom will come up, click that and it calls ( or goes to the email or text screen).
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-07-13 04:18 PM
    I don't need to hit number pad before hitting a speed dial. I just hit the phone icon and then the shortcut. Works perfectly and quickly.
    10-07-13 07:04 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I'll wait-out on the AKO piece: Its pretty important to me that I'm able to get it on my smartphone. May also wait to see if the update brings back home-button speed dial. I use the heck out of that.
    10-07-13 10:56 PM
    Do you know what connections the AKO email supports? BB10 will do IMAP and POP without issue.

I did have to lose one account that used Outlook Web Access as a login method. This was a feature of BIS and did not carry over into BB10.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-07-13 11:05 PM
    Found this on an Android forum:

If you haven't got it done already, here goes:

1. Launch the Mail App
    2. Select Add Account
    3. Select Manual setup
    4. Enter the IMAP SERVER information (incoming: imap.us.army.mil)
    5. Select SSL from the security drop down menu
    * The port number will be assigned automatically and ACCEPT or CONTINUE when asked
    6. Enter the STMP information (outgoing: mailrouter.us.army.mil)
    7. Select SSL from the security dropdown menu
    * The port number will be assigned automatically and ACCEPT or CONTINUE when asked
    8. Click Finished

That should be it afterward go in account settings and tweak it.
    Would really like to know if any US Army types out there have pulled this off on a BB10 device.
    10-07-13 11:08 PM
    I don't have any login info, but I don't see anything that BB10 can't handle. Look like standard IMAP servers with SSL encryption.

Anyone else see anything weird?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-07-13 11:10 PM
    I don't have any login info, but I don't see anything that BB10 can't handle. Look like standard IMAP servers with SSL encryption.

Anyone else see anything weird?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Looks pretty standard to me.

As for speed dial, it won't work from the home screen, but if you just hit the phone button on bottom-left of screen, it will open the phone and speed dial works instantly. OP: you'd get used to it pretty fast. I don't think it's any slowere, really.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 11:17 PM
    As for speed dial, it won't work from the home screen, but if you just hit the phone button on bottom-left of screen, it will open the phone and speed dial works instantly. OP: you'd get used to it pretty fast. I don't think it's any slowere, really.
    So the physical keys are programmable, just like my 9930?
    10-07-13 11:28 PM
    So the physical keys are programmable, just like my 9930?
    Yes, every physical key is programmable to a different phone number/contact, but speed dial only works in the phone application, which you can open anywhere by clicking the phone icon:

Critical Questions Regarding Q-10-img_00000375.png

Here's the speed dial settings screen:

Critical Questions Regarding Q-10-img_00000397.png

Posted via CB10
    jegs2 likes this.
    10-07-13 11:34 PM
    Would really like to get hold of a Q-10 long enough to try it out, but alas my contract for a new phone isn't for a few more months, we're living paycheck to paycheck, and nobody around here has a Q-10 on display for me to even mess with.
    10-07-13 11:38 PM
    Would really like to get hold of a Q-10 long enough to try it out, but alas my contract for a new phone isn't for a few more months, we're living paycheck to paycheck, and nobody around here has a Q-10 on display for me to even mess with.
    No stores have it on display? Well, feel free to keep asking your questions; somebody will answer them and you can decide if it's right for you, though it is pretty spendy. You should check out the Q5. Less than half the price and nearly as good. It has more of a Curve style keyboard with chiclet keys, and the whole thing is shiny plastic with a non-removable battery. It only has 8 GB storage (expandable), but all the other specs are the same. LCD screen instead of Super-AMOLED.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 01:17 AM
    Recently got information in the 99xx forum that the latest leak for the Q10 now enables programmable home screen speed-dial.

Can any Q10 users confirm or deny this report?
    01-19-14 11:16 AM
    Yes...it's true.
    Recently got information in the 99xx forum that the latest leak for the Q10 now enables programmable home screen speed-dial.

Can any Q10 users confirm or deny this report?

Posted via CB10
    jegs2 likes this.
    01-19-14 11:23 AM
    Yes I guess it does. I held h and got a popup saying do you want to assign number.
    Critical Questions Regarding Q-10-img_20140119_102546.png

Reg leaked 10.2.1.1925. Q10
    jegs2 likes this.
    01-19-14 11:26 AM
    Yes...it's true.
    Thanks.

Is the leak able to be installed on any variant of the Q10? For example, I'm with Sprint. So would I be able to install the leak on a Sprint phone without affecting its functionality (or warranty)?
    01-19-14 11:27 AM
    Yes just download the file extract it hit double click the exe and have your phone connected to puter. If it's a new phone should be 20 min to finish.

jegs2 likes this.
    01-19-14 11:32 AM
    Yes just download the file extract it hit double click the exe and have your phone connected to puter. If it's a new phone should be 20 min to finish.

Thanks for the update! Will be eligible for an upgrade in May, so the Q10 now looks more attractive (though think I'll hang on to my 9930 as a backup device).

Would really like to see an improved version of the Q that integrates the charging cradle capabilities of the 99xx series. I don't connect my 9930 to any form of mini-USB except for around once a quarter or so.
    01-19-14 11:35 AM
    There is aftermarket cradle but you still have to plug in the side as Q10 does not have those contacts on the bottom for charging. Its sad but in reality I have a rubber case so I plug in and lean it up. No deal breaker for me. I'm guessing that by may this new os is no longer leaked but official

01-19-14 11:43 AM
    Thanks for the tip on the speed dial, didn't know it had been implemented.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 11:47 AM
    I have had a Q10 since June 2013 and had problems switching on and ending calls. it has now a problem with overheating. I switch it off, then on and all I get is the BB logo. I Have taken the sim and battery out, and its just the same. I hope I can get a refund or have it fixed sending it back to Amazon - can anyone help please?
    01-19-14 11:48 AM