... for more screen space? It's just a waste of real estate to put the word BlackBerry there. The company logo placed on the back of the phone is enough. I figure that extra half an inch added to the screen would be nice!
    austriker likes this.
    02-05-13 01:51 PM
    My assumption is there is some hardware there preventing the creation of more screen space where the blackberry branding is.
    02-05-13 02:16 PM
    Thats usually the case. But if LG could engineer the Optimus to take advantage of all the real estate available, then Bb should be able to at least try to overcome that engineering challenge. Anyhow, i'm looking forward to trying it out. Hopefully the screen is "big enough" for me.

My assumption is there is some hardware there preventing the creation of more screen space where the blackberry branding is.
    02-05-13 02:20 PM
    Also, keep in mind Blackberry is about to adopt to two distinct screensizes (or aspect ratios). The z10 uses a 1280x768 screen resolution. Future Blackberries will build on 1280x720 and 720x720, in order to prevent a plethora of different screensizes and design rules developers have to take into account. The square aspect ratio for the Q10 limits the horizonal dimensions of the screen given a specific vertical dimension or width of the phone.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-05-13 02:44 PM
    ... for more screen space? It's just a waste of real estate to put the word BlackBerry there. The company logo placed on the back of the phone is enough. I figure that extra half an inch added to the screen would be nice!
    Could the q10 use that extra space above the screen ...-lg-optimus-l9_hero.jpg

Using your logic all phones have wasted space.
    CarGuy1368 likes this.
    02-05-13 04:54 PM
    Also, keep in mind Blackberry is about to adopt to two distinct screensizes (or aspect ratios). The z10 uses a 1280x768 screen resolution. Future Blackberries will build on 1280x720 and 720x720, in order to prevent a plethora of different screensizes and design rules developers have to take into account. The square aspect ratio for the Q10 limits the horizonal dimensions of the screen given a specific vertical dimension or width of the phone.
    I agree with the above:

Here is an interesting video that takes apart a 9900 so you can see what is in that top space and how a phone is put together.

02-05-13 06:49 PM
    It isn't an empty box at the top that is just that size to annoy people and one day it would be nice if people could recognise such facts, especially when you have sites that take apart every new piece of hardware when it is released.
    02-05-13 06:53 PM
    The screen on the Q10 could have been taller in general.
    jly.public likes this.
    02-05-13 07:28 PM
    The screen on the Q10 could have been taller in general.
    Only taller if the screen was wider at the same time as Nack has stated above given that BB has gone with a square screen. It seems that the Qwerty models will have a square screen. I am not sure where that leaves any proposed Slider models.
    02-05-13 09:55 PM
    Everyone is an engineer here was you start talking about ideas outside the box or outside the norm....

Trust me people, the device could easily have a taller screen without increasing the width.

Sent from an Unkown Device using Tapatalk
    02-05-13 09:59 PM
    I'm sure it will in the future.
    02-05-13 10:23 PM
    I really wish that it's possible man... We r not there yet..
    02-05-13 11:13 PM
    Everyone is an engineer here was you start talking about ideas outside the box or outside the norm....

Trust me people, the device could easily have a taller screen without increasing the width.

Sent from an Unkown Device using Tapatalk
    By which guidelines, Plazmic Flames?
    RIM set two rules in terms of screen resolutions, one was set for all BB10 full-touch devices, one for BB10 QWERTY devices.
    Those QWERTY devices had to match a resolution of 720x720 pixels, equaling a rather uncommon 1:1 screen ratio. So the engineers had to design the device this. So you can't make the screen any taller, without making it wider. Of course you also can't making it wider without making it taller.

If RIM would've used different rules for the QWERTY device then, sure, the screen size could've been made taller a. Lot easier. But since those guidelines are there, Blackberry will stick with them. So all theoretical "But they could..." Stuff is nonesense, since these design rules come in first before any technical possibilities. This also means virtually all fan created designs are invalid, since none uses the QWERTY screen rule.
    nack and Bbnivende like this.
    02-06-13 02:03 AM