I created a new contact yesterday by adding him from an email he sent to me.

This morning he sent me another email. I was surprised that the device didn't recognize his name and convert his email address to his name, which it does when it matches a saved contact.

So I went into my Contacts this morning to check on things, and presto, his contact info wasn't there. Welcome to life with a Q10. I went out to the home screen and just started typing in his name, and it didn't show up there either.

Go figure.

So, I went and re-added his contact name. When I pressed save, the device seemed to indicated that I had this contact, because it asked me if I wanted to add a new contact or update an existing one. So, I added a new one.

Then, I backed out and came back into Contacts, and now I have him twice???

But when I go back to my emails, his email address still appears and not his his name.

This is messed up. How did they mess up something so central to the functionality of a Blackberry?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:25 AM
    By default, contacts are added to the personal side and not work side (if you have work side enabled). I have never seen a contact not save on the personal side, though I have seen communications issues mess up contact addition on the work side
    09-25-13 09:54 AM
    I am not aware of multiple sides. I don't think I have a work side. I certainly don't intentionally use multiple sides. How would I even know? I'm not doing anything differently than I did with my Bold in terms of saving and using contacts. After all, that's the baseline. Nor did I do anything differently than I have with saving my other contacts???
    09-25-13 10:16 AM
    I am not aware of multiple sides. I don't think I have a work side. I certainly don't intentionally use multiple sides. How would I even know? I'm not doing anything differently than I did with my Bold in terms of saving and using contacts. After all, that's the baseline. Nor did I do anything differently than I have with saving my other contacts???
    Are you using exchange or bes? Did you check the address book filters?

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 11:14 AM
    No Exchange. Just a bunch of POP3 email accounts.
    09-25-13 11:24 AM
    When you first go into contacts, there is the little icon in the lower left hand corner with the three nubs next to it. Hit that and make sure you're looking under All Contacts at the top of that list. Maybe that's where the confusion is happening.
    09-25-13 11:59 AM
    No Exchange. Just a bunch of POP3 email accounts.
    It also depends on what is your 'default' contact list. Out of box, it is your local contacts and i had to change to 'gmail' because thats where my contacts reside. So if your default contact list is local and you have set filter as 'gmail' or some other list, you wont see the contact because you have filtered it out.

Yes, i think contacts app suck in OS10. I wish they would improve it.
    09-25-13 12:06 PM
    When you first go into contacts, there is the little icon in the lower left hand corner with the three nubs next to it. Hit that and make sure you're looking under All Contacts at the top of that list. Maybe that's where the confusion is happening.
    Yes, All Contacts is selected. But this also wouldn't explain why the email name itself on the device in my Messages shows the email address and not the contact's name, now that it has been saved as a contact.
    09-25-13 12:15 PM
    It also depends on what is your 'default' contact list. Out of box, it is your local contacts and i had to change to 'gmail' because thats where my contacts reside. So if your default contact list is local and you have set filter as 'gmail' or some other list, you wont see the contact because you have filtered it out.

Yes, i think contacts app suck in OS10. I wish they would improve it.
    Suck is an understatement. The device sucks. How do I find out what my default Contact list is?

All I know is this function worked perfectly on the Bold. Did these guys know their own product? How do they make something not work that worked perfectly well??? Idiotic!
    09-25-13 12:17 PM
    Suck is an understatement. The device sucks. How do I find out what my default Contact list is?

All I know is this function worked perfectly on the Bold. Did these guys know their own product? How do they make something not work that worked perfectly well??? Idiotic!
    Setting -> Account Setting -> Set Default (at the bottom right)
    09-25-13 02:42 PM
    I just manually added another new Contact.

Saved contact data.

Went to Contacts -- nowhere to be found. Rebooted -- nowhere to be found.

This is supposed to help make me more efficient, not less efficient! Gasp.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 05:27 PM
    I just manually added another new Contact.

Saved contact data.

Went to Contacts -- nowhere to be found. Rebooted -- nowhere to be found.

This is supposed to help make me more efficient, not less efficient! Gasp.

Posted via CB10
    One last thing i can think of.. Did you try Contact Settings? Go to Contacts. Swipe from top to middle. Tap on settings. Make sure you have the correct contact displayed.

Contact app allows you to filter lists twice within the app. So you need to select correct filters at not just one but two places.

Hope it helps
    09-26-13 04:07 PM
    One last thing i can think of.. Did you try Contact Settings? Go to Contacts. Swipe from top to middle. Tap on settings. Make sure you have the correct contact displayed.

Contact app allows you to filter lists twice within the app. So you need to select correct filters at not just one but two places.

Hope it helps
    I don't see any place to select filters. When I go to the Contact Settings, it says:

Sort Contacts By (I have selected First Name)

Then it says :Show Account in Contact List" and it lists:

BBM Contacts
    BBM Video
    LinkedIn
    Twitter
    SIM Card Contacts
    BBLink
    09-27-13 11:46 AM
    I had this problem this morning as well. I tried to send a text to a friend and when I tried to search for him in my contacts it was missing. I looked on my text msgs history and found a previous text I sent him and it only shows his phone number and not his name. I had to re-add him to my contacts.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-13 11:53 AM