Hoping for help and apologies in advance as I'm sure my main question has been covered elsewhere.

My Blackberry Classic's battery has deteriorated to the point where I'm ready to trade the handset in. I'm happy with most other aspects of the phone and would buy a new Classic but the cost of a sim free handset remains relatively high. I'm also midway through a network contract so wouldn't be upgrading to a Mercury until next year (if at all).

With that being the case. I've snapped up a mint condition Q10 with a new battery. I have previously owned a Q10 (went from it to iPhone 6 then the Classic) so I'm hopeful it's not going to be too much of a culture shock after using the toolbelt and supposedly superior keyboard on the Classic.

Anyway, my question is can I easily transfer all data - including apps - from the Classic to the Q10? Can Blackberry Link do this for me? I have a few Android apps sideloaded on there am hoping they can make journey over without too much hassle.

Thanks for any advice.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-17 02:27 PM
    If I may, you can have and use all apps that you have on the Classic, to the Q10. BUT, in my experience, you can only move data, not the apps themselves. So, BlackBerry link can indeed, help, or app from the BlackBerry World called "Ultimate Backup for BlackBerry 10"--which I use, but both can only move your data (such as contacts, pictures, songs, films, docs, app data, etc) and not the apps. You have to manually reinstall all the apps you'd need on the Q10.
    02-18-17 03:11 PM
    Which really isn't that bad when everything else is done. I've done it z10 to z30 and vice versa several times
    02-18-17 03:20 PM
    Thanks for the info, I will install the backup app now as that seems pretty convenient.

In terms of downloading apps again, I guess I knew the process wouldn't be completely painless but at least it should be minutes rather than hours replicating the Classic's setup.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-17 03:22 PM
    You can back up and restore your entire app history AFAIK, so you don't need to sign-in again, or set everything up again.

Why don't you get BlackBerry Link loaded up and give it a go? Do a custom backup and check the option to include binaries in addition to all data.
    02-18-17 05:21 PM
    If I may, you can have and use all apps that you have on the Classic, to the Q10. BUT, in my experience, you can only move data, not the apps themselves. So, BlackBerry link can indeed, help, or app from the BlackBerry World called "Ultimate Backup for BlackBerry 10"--which I use, but both can only move your data (such as contacts, pictures, songs, films, docs, app data, etc) and not the apps. You have to manually reinstall all the apps you'd need on the Q10.
    Link is super easy for me. I just do a full backup, apps, data and all. Then restore to new phone.
    I've gone Z10 to Passport, Q10 to Z10, to Z30... it works great. Saves me having to download apps again.
    02-18-17 09:23 PM
    Sounds great although I just tried to do a full backup and it seems to stick at 22%. Was showing that for like 40 minutes before I stopped it. Is that normal? How long should a backup take? It's not like I have a huge amount of data on there, probably 8gb or so.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 02:25 AM
    Tried this with Link both on Mac and PC with same result. I think it's one of the Android apps that it doesn't like rather than BlackBerry Link crashing. I guess if all else fails I can always manually install apps on the new phone.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 06:58 AM
    regarding backup and restore with Balckberry Link, can anyone tell me if it schould work to backup all data and the profiles for phone are transfered correctly? When I was switching from Z10 to Q10 later to Passport I can remember that I needed to set the LED colors and personal sounds again even the mp3 files got transfered to the same location. Laer I want to go to a Z30 and enjoy such a device.
    02-20-17 08:41 AM
    I just recently went from classic to q10 and used the device switch option in link. It transfers everything over to essentially make the q10 the exact same except for moving actual apps. So it's best to install apps that you use on the q10 and then do the device switch. It moved everything for me; calendar, notes, notification settings. The only problem I had was when I didn't want to have certain apps transfer over the q10 kept coming up with the "account info needed" notification. I used accounts cleaner to wipe those accounts off the phone

Posted via CB10
    02-20-17 09:48 AM
    If you transfer app data using Link does this mean it will remember your settings etc in apps? Also, how are you finding the Q10? Am guessing after the Classic it might be hard to shake the muscle memory of using the toolbelt?

Posted via CB10
    02-20-17 01:46 PM