I have been using a 9900 as a daily driver (and still do) and an iPhone 5 on the side (for anything internet and graphic display related).
    Although the 9900 has a superb keyboard, that was not the reason I chose it (I am totally fine with the virtual keyboard for typing). It was because of its shortcuts that provide convenience, and often safety (in a driving situation). But having to carry 2 devices was a PITA, although most of the time the 9900 alone was fine. Only weak point of the 9900 (and other BBs in general) was its poor internet performance.
    When BB10 was announced, I was delighted, thinking that it might finally give me a chance to ditch the iPhone and carry a single device.
    Since I thought Z10, despite its supposedly superb keyboard, did not have shortcuts, my thinking was that, if its a touchscreen device, why would I ditch my iPhone 5. So, I concentrated on researching the Q10. When Q10 was launched 10 days or so ago, I immediately got on the boat by grabbing it. But one thing I somehow missed was that it DID not have "home screen" shortcuts. It does not even have what is used to be referred to as a home screen anyway. No speed dial capability as well. Heck, it does not even have dedicated phone button, hardware or software (Q10 too).
    So, I returned the Q10, thinking that I will wait until Q10 might become more usable, at least with more useful shortcuts (it has shortcuts, but all within each application. Not home screen, i.e., universal" shortcuts). This made me thinking that the keyboard of the Q10 was essentially reduced to just a typing device with no other useful role as in the legacy Bolds. With this realization, I am now turning my attention to Z10.

If the virtual keyboard of the Z10 can be brought up on demand and use it for universal shortcuts, it may be closer to what I envisaged as a single device solution. Long press "H" for Hub (although calling up Hub is rather easy by swiping), "L" for calendar etc etc. Does Z10 keyboard have a shortcut capability now (sorry if I am ignorant). Can it be brought up on demand?
    Last edited by xanadome; 05-11-13 at 04:00 PM.
    05-11-13 02:31 PM
    Check these Q10 shortcuts to see if these would help: The full list of BlackBerry Q10 keyboard shortcuts | CrackBerry.com

Albeit, I think if you got the Z10 you'd be fine to use just ONE device. Albeit, no 'real' shortcut per se' on the Z10.
    xanadome likes this.
    05-11-13 03:36 PM
    Yes it can be brought up on any screen on demand with a 2 finger gesture. Not sure about the shortcuts though. Not tried. Would be nice.

Posted via CB10
    xanadome likes this.
    05-11-13 03:38 PM
    Thanks Snazy.
    So Z10 keyboard can be brought up on demand.
    I know Q10 has all sorts of shortcuts but only in each application (i.e., not "home screen" ones). I am not sure about Z10 shortcuts.
    If Z10 has shortcuts and keyboard can be brought up on demand, there is a hope that Z10 (and Q10) will eventually have home screen shortcuts capability, including speed dialling. Then, I will go for the Z10 :-).
    Time to peek into Z10 forum too.
    05-11-13 04:05 PM
    I guess it depends what sort of screen shortcuts you want. Speed dialing back would be nice for sure.
    Yup the 2 finger gesture brings up and hides the Z's keyboard on all screens, so depending on where it is, shortcuts in theory could be done on it, although I'm not sure they would do it on a full touchscreen.

There is a long thread about the pros and cons of the Z and Q out there, some great info and points made on it.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 04:13 PM
    xanadome, I have tried this out in the Tmobile store and currently home screen shortcuts do not function on the Z10. In addition, the in-app shortcuts do not work either. I had tried to use T for top and B for bottom in the browser to no avail. Hope this answers your question. Maybe this is something we will see in future updates.
    xanadome likes this.
    05-11-13 09:35 PM