OP, I get what you are saying.
    In theory, clicking a email icon would be the quickest, most direct method to get into your email. But wouldn't it be the quickest only if you are at your "homescreen" we will call it. Really its just your 1st pane of icons.

You are at your 1st pane, you click the email icon, bam, you are in your email. Plain and simple. But if you are in a app doing something, then you have to go back to your "homescreen" and then find your email icon, then click it.

I think having the hub is the best way overall to get to your email from anywhere. A simple gesture. From any screen.

Posted via my Q10 via the awesome CB10 app!
    05-21-13 07:36 AM
    Why doesn't BlackBerry give us the best of both worlds? I have now been using the Q10 for about a week and yes the Hub is great but am I really asking for so much for there to be an email Icon on the home screen for emails. That way I can get to it quickly by one quick press if I am on the home screen? I just don't believe that I am crazy asking for this as so many of you out there seem to believe I am.
    05-21-13 07:41 AM
    I've had a Z10 since it came out in Vancouver and use it hours a day and I want an email icon on my main screen. That why it's called a main screen. I know BlackBerry had to do something different for marketing, but when I swipe open my Z I want to see all my main apps and icons. If the hub works for you great ,but some of you sound like I fanboys with your childish comments and attacks. Personally I would turn it off/hide it if I could . I don't know why they didn't put an icon on the main screen, they did for the others. But even if it's third party I will get email on my main screen.

Posted via Z10
    What is this main screen you refer to? There are three main screens on BB10. The hub, the running apps screen, and then the app grid which is actually many screens.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 08:22 AM
    Why doesn't BlackBerry give us the best of both worlds? I have now been using the Q10 for about a week and yes the Hub is great but am I really asking for so much for there to be an email Icon on the home screen for emails. That way I can get to it quickly by one quick press if I am on the home screen? I just don't believe that I am crazy asking for this as so many of you out there seem to believe I am.
    There is one there as has been pointed out many times. It is the first icon on the app screen shortcuts. It may be a bit different, but it is there.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 08:24 AM
    I don't think you're crazy either. Plus, if you are in the HUB, and you are responding to say a message from your personal e-mail, and then leave the hub. Next time you pick up your phone, you have work e-mails you need to check. Well doesn't the hub leave off at your personal e-mail, so then after you've swiped into the HUB you now need to hit back a couple times to check your work e-mail? I think the option of having an icon on the home screen that goes directly to e-mail (or work e-mail) is a good idea.
    yyzberry likes this.
    05-21-13 08:25 AM
    I appreciate I m talking to the experts and am keen to learn but going inton the hub means you first have to swipe from the home page and then press the email symbol to get in.. If you on the home page you would just need to press the email icon(if there was one) and then you are where you want to be. All I am saying is that having an icon it just gives you another easy option. Am I really asking for too much here? If they have given you an icon for texts, Facebook,twitter etc why can't they give you an icon for emails?
    To make this work like you want it to, you'd probably want a Home button as well. You're trying to apply the Hub concept to a different OS and it's not the same. iPhones are designed to go to Home screen, launch app, go to Home screen, etc. You don't have to work in that crippled fashion with BB10. In fact, it will make it more difficult to try and emulate the slow methods of iOS.

Notifications are just a swipe up FROM WHEREVER you are at, up and over to access the Hub. No need to return Home, no need to see if it is in an Active Frame, no need to look for the icon screen that contains the email icon.

Think of it as a permanent Active Frame that is on the left.
    05-21-13 12:46 PM
    Nope. You can't. You have to add your email accounts to the Hub. If you want, you can search BlackBerry World for third party email apps. Otherwise, the Hub is where the email is always at. The Hub rocks. Not sure why anybody would want a separate app for that anymore. To each their own I suppose.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 01:26 PM
    If my phone is not locked, then I must go to the hub, (either a swipe up and right, or click the three vertical dots ) to see whether I have messages. If I'm wrong, would be grateful for anyone to tell me what I'm doing wrong. If I'm right, can anyone justify why I have to go to hub only to find I have no new messages?

Thanks in advance,

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 05:33 PM
    If my phone is not locked, then I must go to the hub, (either a swipe up and right, or click the three vertical dots ) to see whether I have messages. If I'm wrong, would be grateful for anyone to tell me what I'm doing wrong. If I'm right, can anyone justify why I have to go to hub only to find I have no new messages?

Thanks in advance,

Posted via CB10
    This is called the "peek", swiping upward will show you the same notifications bar that you would see when the device is locked. If there are no new messages, you simply release the gesture and you never have to enter the hub to check.
    05-21-13 07:06 PM
    A quick note to the apologists here-

The Hub is not as good as the Messages icon. The Messages icon took you to your email, txt, bbm, etc. if you wanted all in one place.

The Hub takes you back to the last place you were in the Hub. So I if I want to either get to my email list or bang out a quick email instead of just click 'm' or 'c' or clicking on the Messages icon in BB7 now I have to:

1. Swipe up to the right
    2. Back out of the txt/bbm/pin message I was in
    3. Back out of the Hub app that was open at the time (txt, bbm, pins)
    4. touchscreen my way back to my email

It's 3 long extra steps. The apologists don't seem to care but everyone I know with the Q10, including myself does!

You ****ed up RIM- admit it you arrogant self righteous pricks!
    05-21-13 07:48 PM
    I don't think you're crazy either. Plus, if you are in the HUB, and you are responding to say a message from your personal e-mail, and then leave the hub. Next time you pick up your phone, you have work e-mails you need to check. Well doesn't the hub leave off at your personal e-mail, so then after you've swiped into the HUB you now need to hit back a couple times to check your work e-mail? I think the option of having an icon on the home screen that goes directly to e-mail (or work e-mail) is a good idea.
    ^GETS IT
    05-21-13 07:51 PM
    Why would anybody want to bypass the Hub? It's all about the Hub. Why go back to old ways when the new one is better. Way easier to deal with communications with the BlackBerry Hub experience. I see no legit reason to bypass it.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. I think this is being suggested by people that resist change or have come to OS10 from other platforms.

Posted via CB10 v1.4.2 on my Zed10 10.1.0.273 on Rogers
    05-21-13 07:53 PM

The Hub is not as good as the Messages icon. The Messages icon took you to your email, txt, bbm, etc. if you wanted all in one place.

The Hub takes you back to the last place you were in the Hub. So I if I want to either get to my email list or bang out a quick email instead of just click 'm' or 'c' or clicking on the Messages icon in BB7 now I have to:

1. Swipe up to the right
    2. Close the Hub app that was open at the time (txt, bbm, pins, etc.)
    3. touchscreen my way back to my email

It's 2 long extra steps. The apologists don't seem to care but everyone I know with the Q10, including myself does!

Blimey, who pissed in your Corn Flakes this morning? The Hub is not perfect, no. It's a pretty new concept for BlackBerry. Inevitably there will be quirks. Some will be inherent flaws of the very concept that you have to live with if you want to enjoy the advantages, others are quirks that BlackBerry needs to learn from and make changes accordingly. If you don't like it, no one is stopping you from searching for an alternative device, or you could wait for BlackBerry to iron out the issues over time. But I can pretty much guarantee you the Hub itself is here to stay for the foreseeable future.
    05-21-13 07:57 PM

1. Swipe up to the right
    2. Back out of the txt/bbm/pin message I was in
    3. Back out of the Hub app that was open at the time (txt, bbm, pins)
    4. touchscreen my way back to my email

It's 3 long extra steps. The apologists don't seem to care but everyone I know with the Q10, including myself does!

You just spent more time venting your spleen to us than you will ever spend having to do these "3 long extra steps"... What if you got out of the Hub to copy some text from another app that you wanted to paste into your email. Would you want to go back to your message or to the beginning of the Hub? Not every decision can be perfectly selected via software.

Who, exactly, is the one being arrogant and self-righteous around here? I could name a few...
    05-21-13 08:13 PM
    I don't get people when it comes to tech. You want an email icon? Buy an iPhone or Android, yes simple. BB10 will not get give you an email icon out of the box unless it's a third party app, if there's one available. Use bb10 as it meant to.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 08:34 PM
    I've been watching some reviews and checked it out in a Roger's store but I don't remember seeing the email app on the
    home screen. I really have no use for the hub and all of the swiping to get to the email app when a simple icon on the
    home screen would do the job and be much faster to access. Could a user please confirm the email app can be placed
    there. Thank you.
    You obviously still feel more comfortable with open an icon to access an app paradigm. Nothing wrong with that. It's a personal choice. This paradigm is slow if you are in an app and want to check your emails. In BlackBerry 10, you just swipe up and right in one motion.
    The choices are obvious: you either learn to use the Hub and enjoy BlackBerry 10 or move to other platforms.

Post via CB Z10
    05-21-13 08:46 PM
    There is already an icon to get to the Hub on every home page.

Can you bypass the hub by putting the email app on the home screen?-img_00000082_edit.png

Click on the icon on the bottom left and it takes you right to the Hub.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 09:06 PM
    This is called the "peek", swiping upward will show you the same notifications bar that you would see when the device is locked. If there are no new messages, you simply release the gesture and you never have to enter the hub to check.
    Hmmm. So no way I can find out whether I have a message unless I do a gesture on the screen. Why can't I do it with my eyes? If I'm in a meeting or want to be discrete, I guess I'm out of luck!

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 09:36 PM
    Hmmm. So no way I can find out whether I have a message unless I do a gesture on the screen. Why can't I do it with my eyes? If I'm in a meeting or want to be discrete, I guess I'm out of luck!

Posted via CB10
    If all you want to do is add see if you have received a message, just look for the blinking LED. No blink, no need to swipe.

Need to see what type of message? Just swipe up slightly to see the message indicators on the left, or click the button on your Android device or iPhone. A quick swipe should be about as discreet as pushing a button.

Need to see more? Swipe over to the right, or swipe down on other devices. That should be about as discreet on all devices.
    John Pawling likes this.
    05-21-13 10:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    Much like the paradigm you seem to want BB10 to emulate, we can also play the "there's am app for that" game. HUB++ will allow you to set a mind-blowing amount of notifications for just about everything the Hub covers. You can use LED, sound or vibration or a combo of them. A huge array of color combos, even Disco LED.

There's also many options within the OS itself, just not as many as HUB++
    John Pawling likes this.
    05-21-13 11:11 PM
    If all you want to do is add see if you have received a message, just look for the blinking LED. No blink, no need to swipe.

Need to see what type of message? Just swipe up slightly to see the message indicators on the left, or click the button on your Android device or iPhone. A quick swipe should be about as discreet as pushing a button.

Need to see more? Swipe over to the right, or swipe down on other devices. That should be about as discreet on all devices.
    Thanks. With my curve, which is the only other smartphone I owned, I was able to tell by looking at the screen. The LED doesn't blink for a long time. So I end up looking at the screen.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 11:17 PM
    Much like the paradigm you seem to want BB10 to emulate, we can also play the "there's am app for that" game. HUB++ will allow you to set a mind-blowing amount of notifications for just about everything the Hub covers. You can use LED, sound or vibration or a combo of them. A huge array of color combos, even Disco LED.

There's also many options within the OS itself, just not as many as HUB++
    Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 11:19 PM
    The whole point of 'peek and flow' in BB10 is so that you can access your messages, be it email, sms etc. quickly and efficiently. A separate email icon on the home screen is a step back in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    John Pawling likes this.
    05-22-13 04:02 AM
    I don't get people when it comes to tech. You want an email icon? Buy an iPhone or Android, yes simple.

Posted via CB10
    Or a BB7 Bold. BB10 is a failure on so many fronts

Pity management can't take head out of *** long enough to see the sinking ship. I'm the only friend I have still using BlackBerry who switched to the Q10. None of the others will. They look at my Q10 and shrug it off as inferior to their Bold models. All business people.
    05-22-13 11:51 AM
    Thanks. With my curve, which is the only other smartphone I owned, I was able to tell by looking at the screen. The LED doesn't blink for a long time. So I end up looking at the screen.

Posted via CB10
    That makes sense. With the Curve, you click a button to turn on the screen and see the notifications across the top. On the Z10, you can click the power button to turn on the screen and your notifications will be along the left side of the screen.

It's just a different way of doing things.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 12:25 PM
92 1234