Hi guys!

Here comes another one of those "should I buy or not?" threads again.

Long story short. I have never owned a QWERTY-phone before, but I am madly in love with the Q10. I am currentlly a iPhone 4 user.

What I mainly do on my phone:

- Phone calls (duh)
    - SMS (WhatsApp, FB Messenger, etc)
    - Social networking (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn)
    - Football news (ManUtd, rumours etc)
    - MMA news (Huge fan of MMA)

My current phones fills all these needs due to the large catalogue of apps. I know I can sideload Android apps, but as far as I understand, these apps can sometimes be laggy and buggy.

Given that my current screensize is 3.5" on the iPhone 4, I dont think that the smaller screen of 3.1" would be that much of a disadvantage. I occasionally watch some short videos on my iPhone, but never any movie or a series or anything.

So the question is, should I buy the Blackberry Q10 or should I just go for the other alternative, which is the Htc One?
    07-22-13 04:55 AM
    For some reason I have a feeling you'll be disappointed. Have you owned a BlackBerry before? There are a group of people here who's been a long time BlackBerry user and have huge issues with the new OS. Q10 will deliver a decent result on the things you've listed out, but besides the QWERTY thing, HTC one will probably do the job better.
    07-22-13 05:32 AM
    Its a totally different platform that might not win you over. Personally I would try one in a store to see if you like the way it functions first. As far as the overall quality goes the Q10 is a solid device and a much needed improvement over the OS7 devices. If you want a device that gets the job done then the Q10 in my opinion is the one.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 05:37 AM
    For the things you've listed the only thing you really need to side load is instagram everything else is available to you via BlackBerry World. So I think your needs would be satisfied easily. If you want there is always the Z10 which will provide you a bigger screen at the cost of the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 05:46 AM
    I was just wandering yesterday to buy it or not - I am typing from it now.

Don't buy it! It will be a overkill for you. The tasks you described you can do with $200 Android phone.

The number one advantage of this phone is obviously the keyboard and the number one advantage of BB10 is its multitasking.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 06:23 AM
    For some reason I have a feeling you'll be disappointed. Have you owned a BlackBerry before? There are a group of people here who's been a long time BlackBerry user and have huge issues with the new OS. Q10 will deliver a decent result on the things you've listed out, but besides the QWERTY thing, HTC one will probably do the job better.
    I owned the 9530 Storm, and I absolutely loved it (apart from the obvious lack of apps-problem). The main thing for me is that I want to try out a QWERTY-phone with a modern OS. With BBQ10, I would have a modern OS, and the ability to install Android apps if they arent natively provided for BB10.. HTC will probably do the better job, but I cant stand the fact that its a Android phone, as I literally hate Android for some odd reason.

Its a totally different platform that might not win you over. Personally I would try one in a store to see if you like the way it functions first. As far as the overall quality goes the Q10 is a solid device and a much needed improvement over the OS7 devices. If you want a device that gets the job done then the Q10 in my opinion is the one.

Posted via CB10
    I've seen plenty of videos since last august when the stuff started leaking out, and I absolutely loved what I saw.. I've always been interested in BB, but there is something about the gesture based OS that I absolutely love...

For the things you've listed the only thing you really need to side load is instagram everything else is available to you via BlackBerry World. So I think your needs would be satisfied easily. If you want there is always the Z10 which will provide you a bigger screen at the cost of the keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, But I really want a QWERTY phone. If I wanted a full touchscreen phone, I could go for the HTC or wait for the new iPhone. But theres just something about the Q10 that makes it so hot!
    07-22-13 06:28 AM
    I was just wandering yesterday to buy it or not - I am typing from it now.

Don't buy it! It will be a overkill for you. The tasks you described you can do with $200 Android phone.

The number one advantage of this phone is obviously the keyboard and the number one advantage of BB10 is its multitasking.

Posted via CB10
    Overkill how? I dont care for Android at all.. Thats why I just didnt buy the HTC one, even tho how good it looks...
    07-22-13 06:30 AM
    I don't really get many of the negative comments here. Saberhagen, the thing you'll miss the most would be Instagram. As you most likely will already know, Instagram is so far not available for BB10 and most likely won't be in the near future. Having said that, of course you can sideload. Instagram in particular has some problems with the Q10, from what I've read, commenting on pictures is a bit tricky and when you want to upload a photo, some buttons/icons/filters are partly hidden behind your actual photo. I'd do a search around here in the forums, there are lots of Instagram sideloaded topics around here.

I heard from quite a few 3.5" iPhone users, they didn't have a problem adapting to the 3.1" of the Q10. However you might also want to take a look at the Q5 if you like to save some bucks. The Q5 performs nearly the same as the Q10, the keyboard is pretty good too and it costs you much less than the Q10. As for your other alternative, the HTC One, it is a completely different kind of device. You should really need to be sure whether you want a QWERTY phone or not, because the One ain't such a device.
    In terms of usability, it gets some time getting used to all those gestures, but once you get used to it, it'll feel as natural as everything else. Even more: I happen to swipe around on other devices in stores because I got used to it so much already, that it feels unnatural not being able to swipe on Windows Phone or Android devices.

The thing to know is BB10 is really fresh, in many ways. There are quite some updates coming and 10.2 won't be the last of them, maybe not even for this year. The downside of course is you have to deal with a lacking, yet growing app catalogue and maybe a feature or two you are used to have is different or not implemented yet.
    07-22-13 07:10 AM
    If you had a storm 1 and you loved it and you really want a phone with a real keyboard then you will be very happy with q10 . Is a very fast and well build phone . Who doesn't like the q10 is because they are too stubborn to learn about a totally new OS or because is a Blackberry and they are so used to bash the brand without even trying the phone first . They want a new modern BB but they just want to press some button and do the same thing like before . Took me 2-3 days to learn to use the phone , checked here on Crackberry how to do different things and now I learn it and I'm very happy with the phone . And don't forget BB10 is a brand new very promising platform . They will continue to build on it and when people will start to appreciate it and buy the phones developers will start building apps for it . Some people need a specific app and if they cant find it are frustrated and go with a different platform but for you're needs seems you will enjoy the q10 .
    07-22-13 07:58 AM
    I don't really get many of the negative comments here. Saberhagen, the thing you'll miss the most would be Instagram. As you most likely will already know, Instagram is so far not available for BB10 and most likely won't be in the near future. Having said that, of course you can sideload. Instagram in particular has some problems with the Q10, from what I've read, commenting on pictures is a bit tricky and when you want to upload a photo, some buttons/icons/filters are partly hidden behind your actual photo. I'd do a search around here in the forums, there are lots of Instagram sideloaded topics around here.

I heard from quite a few 3.5" iPhone users, they didn't have a problem adapting to the 3.1" of the Q10. However you might also want to take a look at the Q5 if you like to save some bucks. The Q5 performs nearly the same as the Q10, the keyboard is pretty good too and it costs you much less than the Q10. As for your other alternative, the HTC One, it is a completely different kind of device. You should really need to be sure whether you want a QWERTY phone or not, because the One ain't such a device.
    In terms of usability, it gets some time getting used to all those gestures, but once you get used to it, it'll feel as natural as everything else. Even more: I happen to swipe around on other devices in stores because I got used to it so much already, that it feels unnatural not being able to swipe on Windows Phone or Android devices.

The thing to know is BB10 is really fresh, in many ways. There are quite some updates coming and 10.2 won't be the last of them, maybe not even for this year. The downside of course is you have to deal with a lacking, yet growing app catalogue and maybe a feature or two you are used to have is different or not implemented yet.
    To be honest I cant understand the negative comments either. If you have a little common sense and know how to Google, I think you can solve most of the problems yourself. But I dont care about the negative comments as they arent affecting my decision yet.

Yes I know Instagram isnt officially available for BB10 atm, but my understanding is that you can get a usable Instagram sideload. I would like to see some screenshots of how those problems concerning uploading pictures and stuff looks like.

Ive looked at the Q5, but I dont like the plastic and cheapish feel to it.. Q10 looks like a beast and screams professionalism :P Regarding the pricetag on the Q10 - thats not an issue. Im moving to London for my master studies in September, so I will have to get a contract anyway. Ive seen the Q10 for 49 Pounds and for 35 pounds a month. Imo thats very reasonable.

As far as knowing that BB10 is fresh and new, I understand there are alot of bug fixes to come and to appear. As long as I have my messaging apps, apps for some news i follow and etc, I am a happy camper. And im itching to get to try a BB Qwerty phone as well!
    07-22-13 02:09 PM
    If you had a storm 1 and you loved it and you really want a phone with a real keyboard then you will be very happy with q10 . Is a very fast and well build phone . Who doesn't like the q10 is because they are too stubborn to learn about a totally new OS or because is a Blackberry and they are so used to bash the brand without even trying the phone first . They want a new modern BB but they just want to press some button and do the same thing like before . Took me 2-3 days to learn to use the phone , checked here on Crackberry how to do different things and now I learn it and I'm very happy with the phone . And don't forget BB10 is a brand new very promising platform . They will continue to build on it and when people will start to appreciate it and buy the phones developers will start building apps for it . Some people need a specific app and if they cant find it are frustrated and go with a different platform but for you're needs seems you will enjoy the q10 .
    Yeah, thats what I think as well! Think if i could love my storm, think about how much i will love the sexy beast that is theQ10!
    andreirad likes this.
    07-22-13 02:10 PM
    Yes I know Instagram isnt officially available for BB10 atm, but my understanding is that you can get a usable Instagram sideload. I would like to see some screenshots of how those problems concerning uploading pictures and stuff looks like.

Ive looked at the Q5, but I dont like the plastic and cheapish feel to it.. Q10 looks like a beast and screams professionalism :P Regarding the pricetag on the Q10 - thats not an issue. Im moving to London for my master studies in September, so I will have to get a contract anyway. Ive seen the Q10 for 49 Pounds and for 35 pounds a month. Imo thats very reasonable.

As far as knowing that BB10 is fresh and new, I understand there are alot of bug fixes to come and to appear. As long as I have my messaging apps, apps for some news i follow and etc, I am a happy camper. And im itching to get to try a BB Qwerty phone as well!
    I don't use Instagram myself, so I can't help you in this matter. However I've read people are using it, once you know (or are used to) which filters are where and where your upload button (or whatever it is like) is located, you can use them "blind". As for the comments problem, it is possible to write the text somewhere else (note taking app for example), then simply copy&paste it into Instagram.

I think besides Instagram, most things you want are simply there. The Q10 is really well build and feels very solid, most major downside I can think of would be the rather poor screen brightness, especially outdoors on sunny days. Oh and one thing: I am not a Facebook user either, but I've read a lot of negative comments regarding the native Facebook app, especially in terms of chats. Maybe some other person can give you further details.
    07-22-13 05:14 PM
    I came from an iphone4 to the Z10 and I absolutely love it!. Best to go into a store and play around with both.
    07-22-13 05:20 PM
    Definitely, to buy. Go go! Blackberry.
    07-22-13 08:57 PM
    Well taking everything into account, i think i will choose the Q10. Ive looked at the alternatives for Instagram and ive found Instago and it looks good. And then it seems all my user areas are fullfilled. Cant wait to get my Q10 and first keyboard experience!!
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    07-24-13 07:52 AM
    Best option would be to go into a store and try it out for a bit for most of the things you use it for...
    07-24-13 08:03 AM
    Well taking everything into account, i think i will choose the Q10. Ive looked at the alternatives for Instagram and ive found Instago and it looks good. And then it seems all my user areas are fullfilled. Cant wait to get my Q10 and first keyboard experience!!
    Just a short hint: Instago can't upload pictures, since Instagram hasn't released an API for this feature. So it is browsing and commenting only. If you have any questions after getting your Q10, just feel free to post them here. CB community is rather fast and helpful (well, in most cases) when people require help and assistence with their phones.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    07-24-13 08:33 AM
    Just a short hint: Instago can't upload pictures, since Instagram hasn't released an API for this feature. So it is browsing and commenting only. If you have any questions after getting your Q10, just feel free to post them here. CB community is rather fast and helpful (well, in most cases) when people require help and assistence with their phones.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    Jepp... I know it can't upload pictures. But for browsing Instagram on the Q10, Instago seems the best option as the pictures fit the screen. And for uploading i can just use the sideload version! I am not one of those persons who needs the official version for anything, if any alternative can do the same thing as the official one, i can use it without hesitation!

Damn im looking forward to get my Q10 in September!!
    07-24-13 08:57 AM
    Whether you choose the Z10 or Q10 you'll fit right in. Personally I would choose Z10 because of the greater app selection and amazing touch keyboard.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    07-24-13 09:03 AM
    I'm in a similarly shaped boat as you. I picked up a Bold 9900 about a week ago off Craigslist to see if I still love BlackBerry as much as I used to. One week with this phone and yes, I do still love BlackBerry. I'm at work, sitting in front of my computer and I'd rather pick up my BlackBerry to answer emails than use the laptop. BlackBerry is a pure production powerhouse and Bold 9900 and now the Q10 are the pinnacle of that.

My only problem is that when I pick up my HTC One I think about how much more it does than the 9900 (not a fair comparison, I know). So I've spent the last few days researching the Q10 and how BB10, being a modern OS, closes that huge gap between BB7 and today's phones. Instagram is a bit an issue for me but hopefully they release an app. Until then the sideload route or Instago should be fine. I'm really close to buying the Q10 and keeping the HTC One for a few things but may end up selling it depending on just how well the Q10 replaces it.

I think you'll love the Q10 because I think I'll love the Q10 and I have similar use cases as you. I'm not a gamer on my phone. I game on my tablet or console. My phone is communication, news and social networking. For those things, the Q10 is simply a beast of a phone that is absolutely gorgeous.

As for the Q5, I agree with you completely. It doesn't appeal to me at all. Coming from iPhone 5, HTC One and Bold 9900, build quality, feel and appearance are all huge aspects for me in a phone and the Q5 simply doesn't qualify for me. I say go for the Q10 and enjoy!
    07-24-13 09:16 AM
    The price is going down on amazon. It's gone down to �394 today. I don't know if it will go back up again but I'm waiting until it's considerably less than �400 before buying it. It looks like a very nice phone but with letbacks like the camera and lack of apps it isn't worth �400 quite. I wish they could have kitted it out with a good camera.

At least the camera is just not best but not worst on the market though.
    07-24-13 10:09 AM
    I wouldn't buy it. Consider BB10 more like beta software. Hopefully by the time 11 comes out it can be considered a polished product.

Right now, there are too many faults/bugs with the system.

I know I wish I would've gone with the sgs4.

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 07:35 PM
    I wouldn't buy it. Consider BB10 more like beta software. Hopefully by the time 11 comes out it can be considered a polished product.

Right now, there are too many faults/bugs with the system.

I know I wish I would've gone with the sgs4.

Posted via CB10
    That's just bull****. Lol...

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    07-25-13 12:21 AM
    I've owned the Z since it came out in the USA and I'm not sure I've experienced any bugs. I had a few reboots initially, but, since 10.1 no issues at all! I think you will love the build quality and os that comes together in the Q.
    Have no fear on the app front as you have theScore, Crackle, Songza, Skype, Kindle, SayIt, and many other quality apps to choose from. Side loading is just a bonus that will help you find the few extras you might want.

Three important words to remember as you make your choice.

Hub. Peak. Flow.

Keep Moving

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 01:21 AM
    I got the Z10 the first day it was available in the US and loved it, though I did experience random reboots once or twice a week. I got the Q back in June and I was hesitant at first since I haven't owned a device with a keyboard since my Bold 9700 a few years ago. I now play with both devices but I find myself using the Q more. The keyboard is a nice size, the keys are sized well, and it feels really comfortable in the hand. The screen size took a little getting used to, but it's not bad at all. Personally, I think screen size has gotten absolutely ridiculous with the newer phones and phablets. I get much better battery life on the Q than I do on the Z, especially since the 10.1 update. I haven't experienced any reboots that I know of on the Q and haven't had any problems with it. The OS is good and improving. I like it, I really like the gestures and I find its very efficient for me. The word prediction on both devices is absolutely amazing, by far the best compared to other devices I've used.

All in all, I really enjoy the Q and don't see myself getting rid of it anytime soon. I had a Bold 9700 years ago and loved it and I tried the iPhone and Android platforms too. I came back to BlackBerry because I wanted something new and different. You will have to understand that the BB10 platform is new and it does have its shortcomings but it's getting better and it will continue to. I find that some of the complaints people have don't really affect me. The Q does exactly what I need it to do and it does it well for me. Honestly, that's all you can really ask for.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-13 02:21 AM
28 12