After the quarterly results came out and showed that BlackBerry haven't sold many BlackBerry 10 devices, and way more os7 ones, I was thinking, BlackBerry users keep hold of their phones a lot longer than that of iphone users.

This might sound quite stupid but especially q10 users, we really are likely to hold on to these for two years. These devices are not fashion statements they are part of our lives. A large percentage of iphone users however update to the latest device every year. I've got many friends who do this....

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 05:49 AM
    well I own a Q10 and i'd be happy to upgrade every year IF ONLY they would release a new qwerty a year :-)

that's why we hold on to our phones longer :-)
    Arjun Sahota likes this.
    04-01-14 05:52 AM
    To be honest it has been a while since I have kept a phone for a year. Before that every couple of months I would change it.

One more reason I will keep my Z10 a little longer until BlackBerry releases another high end touch screen.

Z30 is not made for me, I like Z10 size a lot better.

Yeah I have to agree BlackBerry phones grow on you day by day.

Posted via CB10
    pystha likes this.
    04-01-14 05:59 AM
    I got rid of my Z10 to go back to a 9900 after 6 months ,which is the shortest I had a phone.
    04-01-14 06:11 AM
    I'd speculate many of us are practical and keep our phones, at minimum, the length of the 2 year ransom contract that it cost us to upgrade at the subsidized phone price. Once those 2 years are up, it's a matter of how long before a new BB is finally available on our carrier.

In my case, when my 2 years were up on my Bold 9000, there was a long painful wait for the Bold 9900 to become available to me, it was the same deal again before I could finally upgrade to a Q10.

As for the "large percentage of iphone users [who] update to the latest device every year", I'd be curious to know what their contract situation is... and if their carrier is merrily letting them get a new iPhone every year, while each time adding another 2 years to their contract, making some of them locked-in until 2018 or something. LOL :-)
    04-01-14 03:11 PM
    Perhaps they appreciate quality.
    04-01-14 04:15 PM
    I've used 3 different phones this year! Technology moves so fast, with a combination of wealth / willingness to accept consumer debt, that it's hard to not want to stay on top with the latest and greatest.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 04:56 PM
    The longest I've kept a smartphone as my primary device was about a year, and that was my Galaxy Nexus. Of course, I haven't been locked into a contract until now with my Z30.

But I'd say as much as I'm loving my Z30 it's on track to match or beat the GNex's record with me.

Also, I still have my Curve 8530 in a desk drawer. Keeping it for the sake of nostalgia.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    04-01-14 05:27 PM
    The residual value of iPhones allows more frequent upgrades. When the new iPhone comes out in Sept, I will probably be able to get about $280 for the iPhone 5S I upgraded to on Gazelle.com with no effort. That will go a long way towards the early upgrade price for a new model iPhone.
    04-01-14 05:34 PM
    Got to consider how many iPhone users are out there compared to BlackBerry users so pretty easy to find more of them that switch phones with every upgrade. There are guys at work with ones they had for several years. I find by a year and half most my phones crap out. My wife though manages to keep them a long time.

Reg Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.2141
    04-01-14 07:06 PM
    So in one year! Galaxy S3 than iphone 5 to nexus 5 to 5S and now Q10 but still have my iphone as media player

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 07:30 PM
    I see where you are coming from with this analogy, I have many friends that upgrade the second a new iphone comes out and most of them are buying outright because contracts only allow for an upgrade about every 18 months. I would upgrade every 18 months if BlackBerry made it possible for me to do so. I am excited to see what the Q20 and rumored Q30 have to offer.

Posted via Q10
    04-01-14 08:09 PM
    I feel sick
    rizdragon likes this.
    08-15-14 07:21 PM
    I feel sick
    Go see a Doctor? I can't see this contributes to the thread at all (Yes, I know my comment doesn't either...)

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 07:24 PM
    Go see a Doctor? I can't see this contributes to the thread at all (Yes, I know my comment doesn't either...)

Posted via CB10
    Are you talking to me ?
    08-15-14 08:06 PM
    Yes seems like BlackBerry users hold on to their phone. It's easier for iphone to upgrade every year because they don't have as much choices. Blackberry releases phones in a different manner, different designs. So say for example z10. those people who love the z10 screen size will not upgrade to z30. If they have z30 mini then I think those Z10 owners will want to upgrade to that. Same for those Q10 owners not everyone will upgrade to passport nor the Classic. It's like they're all different kinds of blackberry. Samsung galaxy they have s-s5 there's something. Q5 and Q10 sounds like an upgrade but seems like not so related as one is sold higher than the other. It's not likely the Q10 was a successor of Q5 they're like different and the Q10 was release before the Q5.

via Q10
    08-16-14 12:27 AM
    Have gotten a refurb Q10 AT&T so far so good. Am interested in Classic / Q20. But may keep Q10 for a longer period. Many excellent features; removable battery, longer battery life, good size, and keyboard.
    08-16-14 03:21 AM
    I just bought a completely new housing with a silver bezel for my Q10. It looks and feels like a new phone and since the Classic is rumored to have similar specs, I can see myself keeping it for at least another year!

Posted via CB10
    08-16-14 10:41 AM
    Yes seems like BlackBerry users hold on to their phone. It's easier for iphone to upgrade every year because they don't have as much choices. Blackberry releases phones in a different manner, different designs. So say for example z10. those people who love the z10 screen size will not upgrade to z30. If they have z30 mini then I think those Z10 owners will want to upgrade to that. Same for those Q10 owners not everyone will upgrade to passport nor the Classic. It's like they're all different kinds of blackberry. Samsung galaxy they have s-s5 there's something. Q5 and Q10 sounds like an upgrade but seems like not so related as one is sold higher than the other. It's not likely the Q10 was a successor of Q5 they're like different and the Q10 was release before the Q5.

via Q10
    I think there were a few people who asked how is it that people upgrade every year. Easy. Have three phones on a contract, 1 for yourself, and one for your significant other, or family member. The third like is the 10$ line on the family plan. It gets the new iphone for you a year before your actual phone number is eligible for one. That way every year, you can upgrade. I did it for a couple years. Costs too much money though.

Posted via Q10RR
    08-16-14 11:07 AM
    I think a lot of us are waiting for the next BB of their flavor (all touch, qwerty, etc), which seem to take 2 years to come out so i'd say this sounds about right..
    08-16-14 02:25 PM
    I haven't tried to replace a bb10 device yet, so not sure if this applies to bb10 also.... But, remember how difficult it was to replace an os5-6-7- device? The apps were locked to the PIN, so when you upgradede, you either had to re-purchase the app, or try to get a new unlock code since you already purchased it. Then you'd be told that your device is not compatible with the older version and you have to re-purchase!
    08-17-14 06:14 AM
    Hey how are you doing
    12-17-15 06:48 AM
    Used 6 Phones This Year if i can recall. (In Order Of going back and fourth)
    1. Redmi Note 4G
    2. Blackberry Z10
    3. Blackberry Leap
    4. Blackberry Q10
    5. Redmi Note 2
    6. Blackberry Q10

I felt that that physical keyboard is just amazing. Appart from the small screensize which i hate, The keyboard is what is keeping me tied to BB.
    12-17-15 09:37 AM