Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Old Ag's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Blackberry "Qued10"

    In recognition of the fact that us yanks have been repeatedly e-viscerated for our mispronunciation of the Blackberry "Zed10", I believe it is only fitting that we have our own pronunciation for the name of the next Blackberry product, the Q10.

    I humbly suggest that in the US we adopt "Qued10" as the official pronunciation for the upcoming Blackberry 10 keyboard phone.

    Discuss...

    -Old Ag
    sleekskyline120 likes this.
  2. Jimberry Storm's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    317 Posts
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    good one, If someone would explain the "Zed" instead of just stating "that's what everyone else says" it might make a little sense.
  3. Old Ag's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimberry Storm View Post
    good one, If someone would explain the "Zed" instead of just stating "that's what everyone else says" it might make a little sense.
    Apparently it has something to do with the way some queen pronounces it, although I'm no expert here...
  4. r0v3rT3N's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,750 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,756 Global Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ag View Post
    Apparently it has something to do with the way some queen pronounces it, although I'm no expert here...
    It is the way everyone in the world, except the US pronounces it.
    Have I really been here for three years?
    drmike and X10A-Freedom like this.
  5. Cale M's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimberry Storm View Post
    good one, If someone would explain the "Zed" instead of just stating "that's what everyone else says" it might make a little sense.
    "In most dialects of English, the letter's name is 'zed' /ˈzɛd/, reflecting its derivation from the Greek zeta, but in American English, its name is 'zee' /ˈziː/, deriving from a late 17th century English dialectal form."*



    * One early use of "zee": Lye, Thomas (1969) [2nd ed., London, 1677]. A new spelling book, 1677. Menston, (Yorks.) Scolar P.. p. 24. LCCN 70407159. "Zee Za-cha-ry, Zion, zeal"
    Thanked by:
    dragonx6 (02-08-2013) 
  6. emstardeluxe's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,427 Posts
    #6  

    Default

    I didn't think americans said "queued" either
    fastpitch_dad likes this.
  7. njblackberry's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,947 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,050 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Sure we do - "did you notice how no one queued up for the Zee10 launch"
  8. BBThemes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,368 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ag View Post
    I humbly suggest that in the US we adopt "Qued10" as the official pronunciation for the upcoming Blackberry 10 keyboard phone.
    errrr why? did you pronounce Q as Qee before?

    Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900


    For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1
    Berinry likes this.
  9. njblackberry's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,947 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,050 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Since the Chinese word Qi is pronounced Chee, maybe is should be pronounced Chee10.
    That would be Ched10 in places outside of the US.

    Qi is also the name of a wireless charging standard. Not on the Zee10 or the Chee10.
  10. BBThemes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,368 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by njblackberry View Post
    Since the Chinese word Qi is pronounced Chee, maybe is should be pronounced Chee10.
    That would be Ched10 in places outside of the US.

    Qi is also the name of a wireless charging standard. Not on the Zee10 or the Chee10.
    you do realise how silly it looks stating that everything that ends ee in the US ends ed in the rest of the world? right?

    Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900


    For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1
  11. njblackberry's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,947 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,050 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    You also spell words with extra "U"s in them. That doesn't bother me either.
    Silly, no.
    But if it makes you feel better, than the whole world should call it the Zed10.
  12. BBThemes's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,368 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by njblackberry View Post
    You also spell words with extra "U"s in them. That doesn't bother me either.
    you`ll probably find its more a case of you spell words without the U`s in them. being how english was about before US english.

    Thorsten said ZED 10. deal with it
    My Apps in BlackBerry World
    My Platinum 9900


    For all my themes - BBThemes.co.uk and follow me on @BBThemes1
  13. emstardeluxe's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,427 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    As long as no one confuses it with the very popular anti-wrinkle cream.
    Q10 - NIVEA
    fastpitch_dad likes this.
  14. njblackberry's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,947 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,050 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    It's a face cream; it's a smart phone!
    It's like Shimmer!
  15. Cloudmaster's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    294 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by njblackberry View Post
    Qi is also the name of a wireless charging standard
    Also the name of a popular quiz show in the UK
  16. jdhooghe's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,264 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default

    I think we should pronounce "q" the way the french do: "koo" and then dog on everybody for not pronouncing it the way the french do.
  17. geoffsdad's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,587 Posts
    #17  

    Default

    Can we get some hooked on phonics for that pronunciation? is it Ked, Kwed? Cue-ed?
  18. jdhooghe's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,264 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,827 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by geoffsdad View Post
    Can we get some hooked on phonics for that pronunciation? is it Ked, Kwed? Cue-ed?
    Hey, it worked for me.

  19. rav813's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    429 Posts
    Global Posts
    434 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r0v3rT3N View Post
    It is the way everyone in the world, except the US pronounces it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cale M View Post
    "In most dialects of English, the letter's name is 'zed' /ˈzɛd/, reflecting its derivation from the Greek zeta, but in American English, its name is 'zee' /ˈziː/, deriving from a late 17th century English dialectal form."
    I thought it was just the Metric way of pronouncing it.

    I wonder if the Brits will spell it "Queue10"
  20. Michelle Haag's Avatar
    The girl who waited

    Posts
    1,672 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,853 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Chee10 looks like Cheeto to me, and now I'm hungry. Thanks guys.
    Blackberry "Qued10"-240px-this_cheeto.jpg
    Twitter @_Miche11e_ .::. BBM Channel C0001B3B5

    You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your effing smartphone.
    "Be silent or let thy words be worth more than silence." - Pythagoras
    sleekskyline120 likes this.
  21. FantomLightning's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    236 Posts
    Global Posts
    256 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBThemes View Post
    you`ll probably find its more a case of you spell words without the U`s in them. being how english was about before US english.
    You're not using a apostrophe... That symbol you're using is a "Grave accent". It resides on the same key as the "Tilde ~". The Apostrophe however resides on the quotation mark key. Please understand simple symbols before you start arguing a point of which version of English is "correct".
  22. KasukeSadiki's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    208 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ag View Post
    In recognition of the fact that us yanks have been repeatedly e-viscerated for our mispronunciation of the Blackberry "Zed10", I believe it is only fitting that we have our own pronunciation for the name of the next Blackberry product, the Q10.

    I humbly suggest that in the US we adopt "Qued10" as the official pronunciation for the upcoming Blackberry 10 keyboard phone.

    Discuss...

    -Old Ag
    Read thread title, loled hard. Good job.

    Also I vote for QED 10. Then we can whip out our Q10s and be like "Q.E.D *****."

    Although I'm not in the US
    jdhooghe likes this.
  23. Chris Marsch's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    267 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emstardeluxe View Post
    As long as no one confuses it with the very popular anti-wrinkle cream.
    Q10 - NIVEA
    Q10 is all about health ... ;-)
  24. kjjb0204's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,390 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,760 Global Posts
    #24  

    Default Re: Blackberry "Qued10"

    I think what is silly is that on the US blackberry site, the videos all have this guy with US pronunciation throughout except for saying zed.
  25. bhrgvr's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    632 Posts
    Global Posts
    633 Global Posts
    PIN
    24C80862
    #25  

    Default Blackberry "Qued10"

    Well... That's the way the rest of the world learnt... Z as in Zed and not Zee... Just how one would pronounce tomatoes, potatoes differently in US...



    Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTF?! Blackberry quotes BGR on their BB10 page!
    By brian4591 in forum News & Rumors
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-25-2012, 08:35 AM
  2. Marketing idea for Blackberry 10 - no quotes
    By Kekus in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 09:49 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 07:20 AM
  4. Quoting of an eMail with Blackberry
    By ghostrydder in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 11:44 AM
  5. Stock Quote / Portfolio
    By resmve in forum BlackBerry Pearl 8100
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2007, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions