I took the leak leap at 10.2 back in August. I'm so glad I did. Now it is even easier to load leaks, for me anyway, since I have been restoring from backups after with no issues at all. BB10 is an unfinished masterpiece and I wouldn't want it any other way. Why? Because it means more and better additions to look forward to, more leaks to have fun with and much more to show off with this wonderful, yet grossly underrated, system. I hope they don't stop adding more to BB10.

I like your suggestions slagman. They are small changes yet remain big holes in the OS that need to be filled because it would help BBOS diehards embrace BB10 and would not hurt BlackBerry to implement. They need to grow their new modern platform more than they need BIS revenue at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by eddy_berry; 01-22-14 at 09:31 PM.
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    01-21-14 02:53 PM
    I appreciate your post, and get excited about it, but then I remember my 9930 and how it did so many of these things, being a 3 year old operating system.

God damn thats depressing

Posted via CB10 on 10.2.1.1898
    Hmm, true, but also remember how depressing it is that the originally coders and designers of the legacy BBOS are long gone and every advancement gained for it in the past 9yrs makes the system less and less stable for full operations : errors, bugs, freezes much more than BB10 has experienced thus far.

Not to mention you loose your device someone can blow it clean using bbsak, or jlcmdr. You can't with BB10 devices unless remotely wiped by the original owner.

That alone to me is depressing!

Waiting for ? BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    01-21-14 03:47 PM
    Edited the post to add this under needs improvement:

-Long press Q to toggle notification profiles. While it's OK to be able to customize the quick settings to include the notifications in order to toggle profiles, it is still much faster and easier (done without looking) to go that with the keyboard by long pressing Q like with legacy devices. I wish this would be implemented in a future update, that would be cool. :-)
    Um, how is it 'easier' to long press a key to bring up the option to toggle notification settings/selection list vs 1 swipe, tap and select? You needed 1-2.3 seconds for the long press to engage, more if in another program due to slow processor and minimal RAM!

Explain to me how this works without even looking to actually select a different notification??

01-21-14 03:50 PM
    Um, how is it 'easier' to long press a key to bring up the option to toggle notification settings/selection list vs 1 swipe, tap and select? You needed 1-2.3 seconds for the long press to engage, more if in another program due to slow processor and minimal RAM!

Explain to me how this works without even looking to actually select a different notification??

Yah, your stop watch is broken if you think you need to long press for 2 seconds... Just saying... The way it's better is the same as homescreen speed dialing with the keyboard, no need to look at the phone to perform it... Are you even paying attention? lol :-D

Edit: And FYI, nobody said to bring up the option, long press to toggle it. So that's ALL you have to do. Have you never owned any legacy BB devices? That's how they worked and it was awesome. All you do is long press Q and it'll toggle between the two profiles you toggle between. It's the same thing as pressing the notification icon after you bring down the quick settings.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    01-21-14 04:13 PM
    Clearly you never used a legacy BBOS device.

01-21-14 07:13 PM
    Sorry but going to have to disagree here. The press and short hold of the "Q" is indeed easier and can be done without looking as another said. The current way it's enabled on BB10 is fine. Works well and it's pretty convenient. But the old way is easier if you knew it was there. The swipe down and press method is easier for the novice to find however. Trade off perhaps?

That said, it's an easy toggle between two active profiles, normal & vibrate for example. And the swipe and select method performs the exact same function.

Posted from my CB10 via the power of "Q"

Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    01-21-14 07:32 PM
    BB should ship all new Q10's with 10.2.1.1925 pre-installed. The more new Q10 customers with 10.1, the larger the legacy base with a less than fully happy experience. At some point, you need new Q10 customers that really love their phone. Just what percentage of Q10 customers will actually load a 10.2* leak on their own? I bet its exceedingly small, like <5% (guess).

I hated the inability to auto-display the 3rd and after lines when entering text message. Really aggravating for anyone with Font Size >9. Simple programming fix to auto-scroll down for successive text lines, particularly auto-scroll worked when entering email replies. Now I'm really happy, along with all the other goodies which I continue to learn every day.
    01-21-14 09:06 PM
    Yah, your stop watch is broken if you think you need to long press for 2 seconds... Just saying... The way it's better is the same as homescreen speed dialing with the keyboard, no need to look at the phone to perform it... Are you even paying attention? lol :-D

Edit: And FYI, nobody said to bring up the option, long press to toggle it. So that's ALL you have to do. Have you never owned any legacy BB devices? That's how they worked and it was awesome. All you do is long press Q and it'll toggle between the two profiles you toggle between. It's the same thing as pressing the notification icon after you bring down the quick settings.

Well I said 1-2.3 seconds NOT simply 2 seconds so.please don't take my words out of context. I'm sure it's not just one second on the nose, but has anyone timed it?

Btw read on...

Clearly you never used a legacy BBOS device.
    I have. Clearly you forgot there are MORE than one notifications in BBOS I actually only used two and used the top key in 8800, 9700/9780/9800/9810 and 9900 to toggle there was no need to hold a key. I never used a holster after my 8100 either in my pants it's easier to use the dedicated hardware key at the top of the device vs using the Q key because the keyboard was facing my leg

Before you make the claim that someone never used a legacy device again might I suggest taking 30 minutes to look over All their posts using a filter as BBOS/6/7/7.1/5/4 and in which threads their posting in or liked or thanked in you may find yourself being surprised.

I don't simply use BlackBerry devices l, never have, I use and troubleshoot them, administer BES 4/5/10 and abuse the devices I've owned or provided to me in various industries. This is the second time you've made the mistake that I've not used a legacy device.

Let me pose a challenging question to you then if you're willing to accept. Which BBOS did BlackBerry implement the no immediate screen/password lock using the physical hardware button! Bonus marks if you can tell me which OS segment that even using the side key(s) also no longer worked in this regard for a work around.

01-21-14 11:37 PM
    Well I said 1-2.3 seconds NOT simply 2 seconds so.please don't take my words out of context. I'm sure it's not just one second on the nose, but has anyone timed it?

Btw read on...

I have. Clearly you forgot there are MORE than one notifications in BBOS I actually only used two and used the top key in 8800, 9700/9780/9800/9810 and 9900 to toggle there was no need to hold a key. I never used a holster after my 8100 either in my pants it's easier to use the dedicated hardware key at the top of the device vs using the Q key because the keyboard was facing my leg

Before you make the claim that someone never used a legacy device again might I suggest taking 30 minutes to look over All their posts using a filter as BBOS/6/7/7.1/5/4 and in which threads their posting in or liked or thanked in you may find yourself being surprised.

I don't simply use BlackBerry devices l, never have, I use and troubleshoot them, administer BES 4/5/10 and abuse the devices I've owned or provided to me in various industries. This is the second time you've made the mistake that I've not used a legacy device.

Let me pose a challenging question to you then if you're willing to accept. Which BBOS did BlackBerry implement the no immediate screen/password lock using the physical hardware button! Bonus marks if you can tell me which OS segment that even using the side key(s) also no longer worked in this regard for a work around.

Pretty sure I remember hardware key lock going back to OS 5. Don't really understand the last part of your question.

Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    01-21-14 11:40 PM
    Sorry but going to have to disagree here. The press and short hold of the "Q" is indeed easier and can be done without looking as another said. The current way it's enabled on BB10 is fine. Works well and it's pretty convenient. But the old way is easier if you knew it was there. The swipe down and press method is easier for the novice to find however. Trade off perhaps?

That said, it's an easy toggle between two active profiles, normal & vibrate for example. And the swipe and select method performs the exact same function.

Thank you for the more subtle or less aggressive reply - I should take note myself to do this in the future even against those that has pissed me off publicly in the threads here.

I only used two profiles myself - as you mentioned them without modifying settings. However I had to create custom notifications or heavily modify them before during support for various executives and using the Q method would not have worked in those cases.

Easier doesn't always mean more effective usually means limited in execution, or in functionality for a specific cause/action. Similar to teaching kids to tie shoe laces using 'bunny ears', vs the more common standard way of tieing shoes which is the only way I knew how until I had my own son 15yrs ago. Last year I learned and even more effective way which has a much lesser chance of having laces self untie after wearing. Researched it and was shocked in awe. That's just an example relative to different ways of doing the same task one being easier and seemingly effective yet another way being less easier bit it's relative and possibly more effective.

I'm curious what does the Q key in BB10 do now? Thus far I'm only exposed to Z10/30 devices for use and support, Q10 is next month in my hands.

axllebeer likes this.
    01-21-14 11:47 PM
    I wish BlackBerry made selecting a word or a phrase as easy as the Nokia Lumia. I hate having to hold it to select something as opposed to just a simple tap. I also wish they update the damn picture apps. any word if they changed anything there?
    01-21-14 11:53 PM
    Pretty sure I remember hardware key lock going back to OS 5. Don't really understand the last part of your question.

You're correct OS5 devices all had the hardware lock, one had it before 8700 series (if I recall).

Now what I mean by the hardware lock is pressing it invoked what it was meant to do bt it's icon LOCK the device force you to unlock using a password if you used one - exactly how the iPhone is and always has been thus far.

Some bone head at BlackBerry figured it was ok to a) remove that function and b) combine it with the SW setting if locking in 30/60/90/120 seconds etc after it was pressed unless the screen timeout matched the lowest 30 second setting.

That function alone drives me angry at BlackBerry - to me in my mind my device is not secure unless I press the lock key and can forget about it. Being in IT everyone in the company wants to see what's on your phone - be it newer than theirs (you testing it?), see what's in there for leverage (immediate service to solving issues above everyone else lol - 1 person mentioned this to me gave me a good laugh) or whatever curiosity. They'll do it while you're working at their PC/Mac or when you have to run back to your desk for something because some block screwed around with GPOs preventing RDP session for everyone forgetting to omit IT workstations for example.

I want to lock my BlackBerry pressing a button and forget about its it's done and done. Sure legacy OS had that software lock icon until 7.1 - ay least in Canadian provider builds, and BB10 has the lock hold but in one handed I have to use my index and then my thumb I. The same hand. Small hands on Z10 os manageable bit z30 no way.

01-21-14 11:57 PM
    You're correct OS5 devices all had the hardware lock, one had it before 8700 series (if I recall).

Now what I mean by the hardware lock is pressing it invoked what it was meant to do bt it's icon LOCK the device force you to unlock using a password if you used one - exactly how the iPhone is and always has been thus far.

Some bone head at BlackBerry figured it was ok to a) remove that function and b) combine it with the SW setting if locking in 30/60/90/120 seconds etc after it was pressed unless the screen timeout matched the lowest 30 second setting.

That function alone drives me angry at BlackBerry - to me in my mind my device is not secure unless I press the lock key and can forget about it. Being in IT everyone in the company wants to see what's on your phone - be it newer than theirs (you testing it?), see what's in there for leverage (immediate service to solving issues above everyone else lol - 1 person mentioned this to me gave me a good laugh) or whatever curiosity. They'll do it while you're working at their PC/Mac or when you have to run back to your desk for something because some block screwed around with GPOs preventing RDP session for everyone forgetting to omit IT workstations for example.

I want to lock my BlackBerry pressing a button and forget about its it's done and done. Sure legacy OS had that software lock icon until 7.1 - ay least in Canadian provider builds, and BB10 has the lock hold but in one handed I have to use my index and then my thumb I. The same hand. Small hands on Z10 os manageable bit z30 no way.

Call me an as*hole, but I understood about 10% of your post, and I used to work in IT as well.

01-22-14 12:53 AM

Btw read on...

Nobody is taking anything out of context, I actually gave you the benefit of the doubt by saying 2, since you claimed up to 2.3 seconds. I just tried it BTW, I long pressed to make a call and it started the action before I could finish saying "one thousand one." So without using a stopwatch, that's LESS than 1 second...

And you might think you're so important that all of us have followed your life, career, and all of your posts here, but honestly, I wouldn't even know if you were the same person I replied to before until you started replying to my comment in the manner that you did. You see, we don't know who you are, most people here have no clue who you are, most of us don't care to know who you are, and have no clue what you've claimed in other posts. I'm basing my comment solely on what I read you say, and based on that, it would seem like you've never used a legacy device before because:

A. You think the long-press actions (even if you never used Q, surely you've used speed dial...) take up to 2 seconds to activate.
    B. Apparently you're the only legacy BB user that didn't know how the Q button long press to toggle profiles worked. You stated in your comment that you thought I was saying for it to bring up the notifications screen to change the setting from there.

So I don't care if you founded BB as a company or built them with your bare hands and wrote the OS by yourself. Basing only by your comment, that's the logical question to ask you. Wonder why it wasn't only one person asking you or assuming the same thing??

What's the saying? If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you’re the a-hole? Kind of applies, not calling you an a-hole by any stretch, again, I have no idea who you are, but I wasn't the only one who had to ask if you've used a legacy device before, just saying...
    01-22-14 02:25 AM
    Thank you for the more subtle or less aggressive reply - I should take note myself to do this in the future even against those that has pissed me off publicly in the threads here.

I only used two profiles myself - as you mentioned them without modifying settings. However I had to create custom notifications or heavily modify them before during support for various executives and using the Q method would not have worked in those cases.

Easier doesn't always mean more effective usually means limited in execution, or in functionality for a specific cause/action. Similar to teaching kids to tie shoe laces using 'bunny ears', vs the more common standard way of tieing shoes which is the only way I knew how until I had my own son 15yrs ago. Last year I learned and even more effective way which has a much lesser chance of having laces self untie after wearing. Researched it and was shocked in awe. That's just an example relative to different ways of doing the same task one being easier and seemingly effective yet another way being less easier bit it's relative and possibly more effective.

I'm curious what does the Q key in BB10 do now? Thus far I'm only exposed to Z10/30 devices for use and support, Q10 is next month in my hands.

Right now, the "Q" does nothing other than begin the "instant actions" as in start typing to search for something etc...

But I'm on the 10.1 build, and I believe that speed dialing has made its way back in a recent leak. So now I'd like to know from someone running that leak, does the "Q" press hold activate speed dial instead now? Is it user programmable? Anyone know?

Oh and yeah I'm not here to start any flame wars either. Peace all.

01-22-14 10:24 AM
    Right now, the "Q" does nothing other than begin the "instant actions" as in start typing to search for something etc...

But I'm on the 10.1 build, and I believe that speed dialing has made its way back in a recent leak. So now I'd like to know from someone running that leak, does the "Q" press hold activate speed dial instead now? Is it user programmable? Anyone know?

Oh and yeah I'm not here to start any flame wars either. Peace all.

It does speed dialing now but only programmable to contacts, you can't do vibrate or hold "A" to lock the device anymore

01-22-14 10:36 AM
    It does speed dialing now but only programmable to contacts, you can't do vibrate or hold "A" to lock the device anymore

So it's getting there, slowly, a year later, but not there yet still with keyboard shortcuts that longtime BBOS users are occustomed to. Bummer.

01-22-14 10:41 AM
    So it's getting there, slowly, a year later, but not there yet still with keyboard shortcuts that longtime BBOS users are occustomed to. Bummer.

Yep. Over a year after release and more than double that in development post QNX adoption and we're still waiting on some great features from BBOS to come back.

01-22-14 10:43 AM
    I'm guessing you are new around here. It took years for most of the BBOS features to show up...and after all those years, they still could not figure out how to keep the phone from grinding to a halt so we could watch the clock spin.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 10:52 AM
    I'm guessing you are new around here. It took years for most of the BBOS features to show up...and after all those years, they still could not figure out how to keep the phone from grinding to a halt so we could watch the clock spin.

Posted via CB10
    Not so new. Though I don't know which you were typing to. But either way, really I'm fine with my 10.1 Q10 just as it is really. Just making observations. Wish BlackBerry could circumvent the carriers like Apple does though and push these updates streight to the end user.

01-22-14 11:00 AM
    What I don't understand is why someone would be opposed to a feature just because HE doesn't like to use it. It's not like we're saying for it to replace the current method, just for it to be IN ADDITION to the current method. Don't like it? DON'T FREAKIN USE IT!!! Simple as that. But I guess some people feel like the world revolves around them and if they don't like something nobody else should have access to it either...

Kraken72 and clickitykeys like this.
    01-22-14 12:50 PM
    I've been silently following this thread for days and I still have no idea what's got these people's panties in a bundle.

Sent via Morse code. Q10, 10.2.1.1925
    01-22-14 05:32 PM
    What's the saying? If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you�re the a-hole?
    I'm not wanting in on this argument, just curious: Do you watch the show Justified cuz that's where I first heard that. . Great expression.

BTW, this season Raylan Givens upgraded his Bold 990 for a Q10. I caught it in the third episode. You can even see the BlackBerry logo for about half a second. Heh. Anyway just curious.

Posted via CB10
    3Dee likes this.
    01-29-14 07:37 PM
73 123