Hi guys, longtime Blackberry user and 1 year iPhone 5 user here. My first Blackberry was the 8300 then the Curve 8900 and finally the Bold 9700. For years I loved my Blackberries for ease of use and typing and could never see myself with another phone. I could care less about the iPhone or Androids but as the iPhone was gradually improving I became more interested, and was growing tired of the Blackberry quirks. Constantly freezing, black screens, popping the battery in and out, battery draining..etc. As the iPhone 5 came out and was so many lightyears ahead of the Bold 9700 I finally switched from T-Mobile to Verizon and got the iPhone 5.

My Experience With the iPhone 5/Verizon:

At first I hated the keyboard and never thought I would be able to type on it but got use to it. I was just as fast on my Bold 9700 in months. I cracked my iPhone the first month and didnt have the insurance through Apple just Verizon. There was a $300 replacement fee which is ridiculous. Apple really knows how to make money. My main gripe with the iPhone 5 was the battery life and storage space. The battery life is horrific I am a realtor and the battery lasted half the day so I needed to carry my charger around. I had 0 apps on this phone other then Facebook, and Instagram. I had 3000 pics which took up the 16gb. The iPhone starts acting buggy (closing programs, view pics blurry, cant use camera, programs slow) as you reach the max GB available. Verizon although great service, has been a horrible total service. Tmobile was always courteous, sent me a phone whenever there was a problem and at that time had a decent plan $100 monh approx. I was paying $130 with Verizon but the overages were absolutely unbelievable. My bills were easily $200, $250, $300 any given month. Absolutely ridiculous. So I decided to make the switch back to T-Mobile ($70 month unlimited) after seeing a special on the Blackberry Q10 on slickdeals.net. $149 for the phone flat no more fees if you sign up with T-Mobile. Perfect situation, right? Im getting the new age Bold 9700 which I loved and back to T-mobile with great service as well and no overages. Well not exactly.

These are my main gripes and likes with the Q10 Coming from the iPhone 5

1. YAHOO MAIL- On Bold 9700 emails were instant, as well as my iPhone 5 instant to the second its sent. On the Q10 its a minimum of a 5min lag. There is a business email i get everyday at 12:16am on the dot. I would get it the same time everyday on the iphone. On the Q10 I get it around 1am, 2:am sometimes as late as 4am. Absolutley ridiculous! I cant switch to G-Mail due to the fact of the cost I have my email on all business cards

2. NOTIFICATIONS- I loved on the iPhone that i could clock the home screen button and every MSG, missed call, or any MSG is displayed in order without actually having to go into the phone. With the blackberry you have to swipe in and out and actually get into the phone.

3. TEXT MESSAGES- I loved on the iphone that if you are in a message already and you get a new one come in it comes at the top of screen with the name of the person and the message. So if im typing a message on the blackberry and a message comes in i have no idea who it is and i have to come out of the message and look instead of already knowing by the drop down from iphone. Also, PICTURE MESSAGES DONT ALWAYS GO THROUGH!! Sometimes arrive hours later to recipient. Never happened with iPhone.

4. BATTERY- Q10 blows the iPhone away. The BB battery lasts about 8-10 hours with very HEAVY use. The iphone was about half that.

5. WIFI- If I have WIFI on in my house and im on a call and run out of the house quick the CALL DROPS!! This is unbelievable. I dont know if its TMobile or if it is the Q10.

6. CALL QUALITY- The call quality of the Q10 blows out the iPhone 5 at all angles. Speakerphone as well as the headset it is SO much clearer and Louder.

7. SPEED- Every action on the iPhone is absolutely INSTANT to the split second. The Q10 has a split second lag with everything, apps, call log, whatever it may be compared to the iPhone.

8. TOUCHSCREEN- iPhone 5 is better then the Q10 as far as feedback feel. BB made leaps and bounds from the Bold 9900 and Storm though Ill give them that.

9. SIZE AND FEEL- I think both phones are great sizes and feel great at there own respects.

10. DURABILITY- The iPhone is a PIECE OF JEWELRY! One drop and your done! Why make such a good looking phone that HAS to have a cover.The Q10 although I havent dropped does not seem anywhere near as delicate.

11. OPERATING SYSTEM- The Apple has a much easier and to the point use with everything. The Q10 has too many swipes and not as STRAIGHTFORWARD!

12. RED LIGHT INDICATOR- Speaks for itself I missed it on the Iphone 5.

Overall I can say I actually miss my iPhone! I became a fast typer on it and realized I dont love the QWERTY keyboard as much as I did leaving Blackberry. The iPhone 5 got things done faster and easier with a better screen and a keyboard you get use to. Emails, texts, and feedback from every click was instant.

I really WANT to love this Q10 I wrote this review to get feedback to hopefully help with some of the problems I have. Please help me if you guys have any quick fixes guys. Thanks!!
    RedFoxOne and paulo_mealha like this.
    01-05-14 03:57 PM
    Reading your comments I would say you are in for a pleasant surprise. I still use both phones everyday (Q and 5) and you just need to get used to the Q. That may take a few months. Check the Tips and Tricks thread. Also, the next OS update has notifications at the top of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    01-05-14 04:03 PM
    Your complaint on notifications and text messages was resolved on 10.2. What update are your running on your Q10

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 04:06 PM
    Do you understand where I'm coming from though?? The iPhone although not perfect feels like a complete phone coming from it.
    01-05-14 04:06 PM
    01-05-14 04:07 PM
    You may hate swiping now but trust me you won't be able to do without it soon. Its so addictive that I pick up tablets now and try to swipe up from the buttom to unlock them

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 04:10 PM
    My emails are always instant.

Posted via CB10
    maddie1128 and extisis like this.
    01-05-14 04:11 PM
    With the 10.2 update the texts scroll down from the top like the iphone, and they are displayed on homescreen now? When is the download available?
    01-05-14 04:12 PM
    Upgrade to 10.2 the text msg and notification stuff was resolved in that upgrade

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 04:13 PM
    The swiping was more designed for touch screen use.

It works great on the z10.

On the updated software builds you are able to preview your messages from the locked screen. It comes in handy being able to look at it and turn the screen off with minimal effort.

Posted via CB10
    Jamie Wooten and extisis like this.
    01-05-14 04:14 PM
    With the 10.2 update the texts scroll down from the top like the iphone, and they are displayed on homescreen now? When is the download available?
    It already available unless your in the US

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 04:15 PM
    If you are in the USA, you will need to use some software called Sachesi to allow 10.2 install, else, grab the 10.2.1. leak from the leaks forum on here.

I use yahoo, it's instant so that could be a setting on your phone for how often it checks for new mail. Set to push or 5 mins if it's that important.

Swiping becomes natural and fast. I get around much quicker on my BlackBerry z10 than any other phone I've had. Oh, the 10.2 series really squashes any lagging issues.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 04:23 PM
    As far as the calls dropping when you are at home, do you have Wi-fi calling enabled? If so, that is why your calls are dropping when you leave the range of your Wi-fi router. Wi-fi calling does not have the hand-off to cellular towers that UMA has.
    bquinney likes this.
    01-05-14 04:30 PM
    How do i enable WIFI Calling
    01-05-14 04:31 PM
    I do, but once you learn the new OS, you will not miss your iPhone on communication issues. It takes longer to do most task on the iPhone. The only reason I still use my 5 as a second device is for music and GPS.
    Do you understand where I'm coming from though?? The iPhone although not perfect feels like a complete phone coming from it.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 04:33 PM
    If you live in the U.S. most carriers don't have the 10.2 update and you have to get the leak for that.
    Once you have it installed, the Q10 improves tremendously.
    If I hadn't been able to update to 10.2, I would have returned the phone, that's how much better it is over 10.1.
    Now there is another, new update that's been leaked, but I'm on an Apple and have no way to get that on my phone to see how much more it will improve.
    As was posted, notifications for all calls, voice mail, texts and email are on the lock screen as well as reminders for events. All of which I find incredibly useful.
    Editing is much easier than with 10.1, but... still time consuming.
    The screen touch sensors improved, but not enough.. I'm still looking like a fool, tapping away on search boxes and links trying to get the phone to respond.
    Swiping to answer the phone is still erratic and I've had a couple of calls move to voice mail while I'm swiping away trying to answer the phone.
    The Q10 is rugged, as I've dropped mine (in it's case) a couple of times.
    And as you wrote, the battery life rocks!
    Biggest disappointments and becoming a deal breaker for me, my merchant service company no longer supports (along with all of the other reputable merchant service companies) the BB platform and I can no longer take credit card payments using the phone. The only company that I've found that will work with the BB platform is Paymax and their fees are over $400.00 USD + % transaction points a year..
    And I'm tired of waiting for BB to release the information to the software companies so that they can create a phone call blocker w/ white and black lists..
    I think that the black Q10 is really nice looking phone.
    Even though the OS, camera and video features are not as sophisticated as iOS, if I could side load my merchant service company's CC reader software, I'd keep the Q10 in a heart beat.
    If anyone has any answers to that, I'd love to know, because I'll stop the exchange on my Q10 for an iPhone 5.
    01-05-14 04:36 PM
    As far as the calls dropping when you are at home, do you have Wi-fi calling enabled? If so, that is why your calls are dropping when you leave the range of your Wi-fi router. Wi-fi calling does not have the hand-off to cellular towers that UMA has.
    Hi,
    Can you please let me know what Wifi calling is?

Q10 \m/
    01-05-14 04:36 PM
    waterfront... i tried the navigation on the q10 i loved it! i never tried it on the iphone bc i have it in my car but figured id try it on the new phone
    01-05-14 04:39 PM
    The Q's navigation is good, I just don't like music or navigation on the phone I talk on.

I also have built in navigation in my car, but it's good to have a second opinion when it comes to navigation.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 04:43 PM
    @blackberryQ10

Hi buddy!
    I understand your situation...
    I was on iphone since 2007 and always changed for a new model... I also had BlackBerry phones like 9000,9900,9300,9790 as a backup phone for calls and messages, but anything else I did on iphone... now I have one phone and a winner is Q10
    Jus like other guys said, new leaks are an awesome and they are fixing almost everything..
    Only thing ehat I miss from my iphone 5s is a better camera, but it's just because I have 2 small kids and I make pictures very often..
    Just like you said call quality is amazing and battery life so much better..

I really like I don't have to charge after lunch..

Try 10.2.1.xxxx and I think you will be happy

Take care
    bquinney likes this.
    01-05-14 04:44 PM
    Alright, your gripes are heard. However, like most have already told you that your gripes are already solved with software version upgrades. I love the qwerty keyboard and opted for the Z10. Now I am screaming for a Z30.

Again, go slow with patience and you will love the Q10.
    01-05-14 04:47 PM
    Hi guys, longtime Blackberry user and 1 year iPhone 5 user here. My first Blackberry was the 8300 then the Curve 8900 and finally the Bold 9700. For years I loved my Blackberries for ease of use and typing and could never see myself with another phone. I could care less about the iPhone or Androids but as the iPhone was gradually improving I became more interested, and was growing tired of the Blackberry quirks. Constantly freezing, black screens, popping the battery in and out, battery draining..etc. As the iPhone 5 came out and was so many lightyears ahead of the Bold 9700 I finally switched from T-Mobile to Verizon and got the iPhone 5.

My Experience With the iPhone 5/Verizon:

At first I hated the keyboard and never thought I would be able to type on it but got use to it. I was just as fast on my Bold 9700 in months. I cracked my iPhone the first month and didnt have the insurance through Apple just Verizon. There was a $300 replacement fee which is ridiculous. Apple really knows how to make money. My main gripe with the iPhone 5 was the battery life and storage space. The battery life is horrific I am a realtor and the battery lasted half the day so I needed to carry my charger around. I had 0 apps on this phone other then Facebook, and Instagram. I had 3000 pics which took up the 16gb. The iPhone starts acting buggy (closing programs, view pics blurry, cant use camera, programs slow) as you reach the max GB available. Verizon although great service, has been a horrible total service. Tmobile was always courteous, sent me a phone whenever there was a problem and at that time had a decent plan $100 monh approx. I was paying $130 with Verizon but the overages were absolutely unbelievable. My bills were easily $200, $250, $300 any given month. Absolutely ridiculous. So I decided to make the switch back to T-Mobile ($70 month unlimited) after seeing a special on the Blackberry Q10 on slickdeals.net. $149 for the phone flat no more fees if you sign up with T-Mobile. Perfect situation, right? Im getting the new age Bold 9700 which I loved and back to T-mobile with great service as well and no overages. Well not exactly.

These are my main gripes and likes with the Q10 Coming from the iPhone 5

1. YAHOO MAIL- On Bold 9700 emails were instant, as well as my iPhone 5 instant to the second its sent. On the Q10 its a minimum of a 5min lag. There is a business email i get everyday at 12:16am on the dot. I would get it the same time everyday on the iphone. On the Q10 I get it around 1am, 2:am sometimes as late as 4am. Absolutley ridiculous! I cant switch to G-Mail due to the fact of the cost I have my email on all business cards

2. NOTIFICATIONS- I loved on the iPhone that i could clock the home screen button and every MSG, missed call, or any MSG is displayed in order without actually having to go into the phone. With the blackberry you have to swipe in and out and actually get into the phone.

3. TEXT MESSAGES- I loved on the iphone that if you are in a message already and you get a new one come in it comes at the top of screen with the name of the person and the message. So if im typing a message on the blackberry and a message comes in i have no idea who it is and i have to come out of the message and look instead of already knowing by the drop down from iphone. Also, PICTURE MESSAGES DONT ALWAYS GO THROUGH!! Sometimes arrive hours later to recipient. Never happened with iPhone.

4. BATTERY- Q10 blows the iPhone away. The BB battery lasts about 8-10 hours with very HEAVY use. The iphone was about half that.

5. WIFI- If I have WIFI on in my house and im on a call and run out of the house quick the CALL DROPS!! This is unbelievable. I dont know if its TMobile or if it is the Q10.

6. CALL QUALITY- The call quality of the Q10 blows out the iPhone 5 at all angles. Speakerphone as well as the headset it is SO much clearer and Louder.

7. SPEED- Every action on the iPhone is absolutely INSTANT to the split second. The Q10 has a split second lag with everything, apps, call log, whatever it may be compared to the iPhone.

8. TOUCHSCREEN- iPhone 5 is better then the Q10 as far as feedback feel. BB made leaps and bounds from the Bold 9900 and Storm though Ill give them that.

9. SIZE AND FEEL- I think both phones are great sizes and feel great at there own respects.

10. DURABILITY- The iPhone is a PIECE OF JEWELRY! One drop and your done! Why make such a good looking phone that HAS to have a cover.The Q10 although I havent dropped does not seem anywhere near as delicate.

11. OPERATING SYSTEM- The Apple has a much easier and to the point use with everything. The Q10 has too many swipes and not as STRAIGHTFORWARD!

12. RED LIGHT INDICATOR- Speaks for itself I missed it on the Iphone 5.

Overall I can say I actually miss my iPhone! I became a fast typer on it and realized I dont love the QWERTY keyboard as much as I did leaving Blackberry. The iPhone 5 got things done faster and easier with a better screen and a keyboard you get use to. Emails, texts, and feedback from every click was instant.

I really WANT to love this Q10 I wrote this review to get feedback to hopefully help with some of the problems I have. Please help me if you guys have any quick fixes guys. Thanks!!
    To get your emails faster try changing your settings. Check if "Use push if supported" is enabled and "Sync interval" is set to 5 mins.

BlackBerry Q10 Review Coming From iPhone 5-img_20140105_224140.png

Regarding the Wi-Fi issue, I think you are using Wi-Fi calling and that is why calls drop out when your network is no longer in reach. Try disabling it from the Wi-Fi calling application (http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...tent/35524900/).

Everything else on your list has been resolved with the 10.2 update that was released a few months ago.
    01-05-14 05:11 PM
    I will admit that when I went from a z10 to my i5 that I would try to swipe up to unlock it. Too funny.
    01-05-14 05:16 PM
    The screen touch sensors improved, but not enough.. I'm still looking like a fool, tapping away on search boxes and links trying to get the phone to respond.
    Swiping to answer the phone is still erratic and I've had a couple of calls move to voice mail while I'm swiping away trying to answer the phone.
    That's odd, I've never had an issue answering phone calls, and touch sensitivity isn't an issue either, I click links and search boxes just fine on the first try...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    bquinney likes this.
    01-05-14 05:19 PM
    That's odd, I've never had an issue answering phone calls, and touch sensitivity isn't an issue either, I click links and search boxes just fine on the first try...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Odd indeed.
    01-05-14 05:22 PM
63 123