I ended up purchasing a replacement with Chinese characters, and it too developed the dreaded double type over time. Note, my stock Q10 did not have these characters.

Your Calgary keyboard got it too? Hypersensitive keys or double typing?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Shuswap; 07-22-15 at 09:20 PM.
    07-22-15 09:02 PM
    Your Calgary keyboard got it too? Hypersensitive keys or double typing?

Posted via CB10
    It started to about 3 months in, and that's what got me onto the Z30. I still have a new spare.

How about yours?

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    07-23-15 09:54 AM
    On top of my double typing, my headset sounds mildly blown out as well. I was planning on replacing my keyboard for the *fifth* time, but now I don't know if it's worth it. I don't want to get the Passport because of its awkward form factor (I need to be able to use a phone with one hand) and I don't want the Classic because its specs are almost the same as the Q10 (and I don't need a trackpad again).

I'm going to try and continue waiting for the slider, but it's becoming more and more difficult!

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    07-23-15 11:06 AM
    On top of my double typing, my headset sounds mildly blown out as well. I was planning on replacing my keyboard for the *fifth* time, but now I don't know if it's worth it. I don't want to get the Passport because of its awkward form factor (I need to be able to use a phone with one hand) and I don't want the Classic because its specs are almost the same as the Q10 (and I don't need a trackpad again).

I'm going to try and continue waiting for the slider, but it's becoming more and more difficult!

There's no telling when the slider will be available, and even then, wouldn't you want to wait a few months to see if it managed to dodge the double-type specter before purchase?

What about a cheap (or free, if you want to go the contract route) Z30 as a stop-gap? And don't forget about the venerable little double-typing free Q5, which can picked up for chump-change these days.
    07-23-15 01:19 PM
    It started to about 3 months in, and that's what got me onto the Z30. I still have a new spare.

How about yours?

Z30 / STA100-5 /10.3.1.1784 (no more double-typing Q10).
    Mine's still fine, so far. I've gone back and forth between it and the hybrid keyboard though, so it probably hasn't seen as much use as yours.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-15 02:23 PM
    Mine's still fine, so far. I've gone back and forth between it and the hybrid keyboard though, so it probably hasn't seen as much use as yours.

Posted via CB10
    Q10 still serving you well then? No plans to try anything else?
    07-23-15 02:46 PM
    Q10 still serving you well then? No plans to try anything else?

Reasonably well. It had a severe battery drain (8 hours on standby) that disappeared after I uninstalled my android apps. It's a pretty limited device without them. I'm going to try reinstalling them one at a time to see if Skype is the culprit. I think that's the case.

Other than that, I still like it a lot, and don't want to replace it. I hate typing on glass. It drives me crazy.
    anon(8080272) and bbnrs like this.
    07-23-15 03:07 PM
    My conclusion: you either are lucky or you aren't.

You can immediately feel it. Either your keyboard is 'clicky' or it isn't. I had a white Q10 and keyboard was changed. Same result, double typing.

A couple of weeks ago I got hands on a black Q10 from my company (unfortunately switching to iphone) and the keyboard feeling is completely different. The keyboard is just more 'clicky'

Bottom line: there are two types of keyboards out there: most probably older ones which have this specific design defect and newer ones which work just fine. It just depends which phone / keyboard you got.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-15 03:34 PM

You can immediately feel it. Either your keyboard is 'clicky' or it isn't. I had a white Q10 and keyboard was changed. Same result, double typing.

A couple of weeks ago I got hands on a black Q10 from my company (unfortunately switching to iphone) and the keyboard feeling is completely different. The keyboard is just more 'clicky'

Bottom line: there are two types of keyboards out there: most probably older ones which have this specific design defect and newer ones which work just fine. It just depends which phone / keyboard you got.

Posted via CB10
    Clickiness was presented as an indicator as to whether or not the keyboard would fail, but unfortunately owners of either type (clicky or rubbery) reported double-typing, so that theory was ruled out.
    07-23-15 04:28 PM
    Reasonably well. It had a severe battery drain (8 hours on standby) that disappeared after I uninstalled my android apps. It's a pretty limited device without them. I'm going to try reinstalling them one at a time to see if Skype is the culprit. I think that's the case.

Other than that, I still like it a lot, and don't want to replace it. I hate typing on glass. It drives me crazy.
    It's bothersome (typing on glass). Really can't stand it either. But I think I dislike double-typing even more.
    07-23-15 04:33 PM
    Am a slow typist. Have two Q10's with no dt probs. One that had problem was exchanged for a refurb from ATT (thank you). There not perfect but reasonably close. Do value their abilities.
    07-23-15 04:35 PM
    It's bothersome (typing on glass). Really can't stand it either. But I think I dislike double-typing even more.

Double-typing is definitely worse. If my first Calgary keyboard gets it, I'll try another hybrid... with Q5 parts, if I can get them.
    07-23-15 04:58 PM
    Am a slow typist. Have two Q10's with no dt probs. One that had problem was exchanged for a refurb from ATT (thank you). There not perfect but reasonably close. Do value their abilities.
    I'm really slow now that I type on a virtual keyboard, at least by comparison.

BTW, is your avatar a painting of Anthony Quinn?
    07-23-15 09:01 PM
    Double-typing is definitely worse. If my first Calgary keyboard gets it, I'll try another hybrid... with Q5 parts, if I can get them.
    I had no idea such a thing was even possible. Please elaborate!
    07-23-15 09:01 PM
    Ah, I just long for the days when I used the same PKB for so long I wore off the symbols/letters from the keys....The good old days. LoL.

Just installed another keyboard on one of the Q's. My first "super" rubbery keyboard. Wow, takes a fair amount of pressure relative to the clicky keys, to depress. Will see how this works out.
    07-23-15 09:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    My Q10 started with clicky whenever I cchanged the keyboard but as the clicking went away, the double typing became a problem.

07-24-15 12:20 AM
    I had no idea such a thing was even possible. Please elaborate!
    Well, when I rebuilt the Q10 keyboard before, I used the discs from a 9900 keyboard, and thought about cutting up the membrane and using it as well, but didn't. You could do the same with Q5 parts, but it turns out that the Q5 keyboard is on the motherboard, and I don't see any keyboard parts on eBay, except for the rubber buttons. So if it happens again, I'd probably opt for the hybrid Bold 9900/Q10 keyboard, even though the combination of parts made the keyboard clicky enough to cause thumb muscle fatigue. lol.
    Mike Owsley likes this.
    07-27-15 09:38 PM
    Well, when I rebuilt the Q10 keyboard before, I used the discs from a 9900 keyboard, and thought about cutting up the membrane and using it as well, but didn't. You could do the same with Q5 parts, but it turns out that the Q5 keyboard is on the motherboard, and I don't see any keyboard parts on eBay, except for the rubber buttons. So if it happens again, I'd probably opt for the hybrid Bold 9900/Q10 keyboard, even though the combination of parts made the keyboard clicky enough to cause thumb muscle fatigue. lol.
    You, sir, are dedicated.

You must start a site: Frankenberry.ca

Posted via CB10
    07-27-15 10:32 PM
    You, sir, are dedicated.

You must start a site: Frankenberry.ca

Posted via CB10
    Haha. Maybe!

You might be interested in this post I left in the keyboard repair thread. You might be able to resurrect your Q10 without the double-typing re-emerging.
    anon(8080272) and Q10Bold like this.
    08-03-15 03:24 PM
    Haha. Maybe!

You might be interested in this post I left in the keyboard repair thread. You might be able to resurrect your Q10 without the double-typing re-emerging.
    Hats off to you for always being so fair, and helpful. I'll spend quite a bit of time on the thread. Thanks for the link!
    08-09-15 10:19 AM
    Hats off to you for always being so fair, and helpful. I'll spend quite a bit of time on the thread. Thanks for the link!
    You know, it really never occurred to me that you weren't already aware of that thread. If asked, I would have sworn that you were posting on that one too. Glad to have pointed you in that direction!
    08-09-15 11:33 AM
    I've sended it in (warranty) due to 'double typing'. They checked it and said: 'we couldn't find any problems'. The interesting comes now: although officially nothing has been repaired and changed the chassis of my Q10 is a new one and my keyboard feels different (when I've sended it in it had plenty of scratches...) ....well I'm happy that I don't have the issue any more :-D
    08-12-15 03:25 PM
    I've sended it in (warranty) due to 'double typing'. They checked it and said: 'we couldn't find any problems'. The interesting comes now: although officially nothing has been repaired and changed the chassis of my Q10 is a new one and my keyboard feels different (when I've sended it in it had plenty of scratches...) ....well I'm happy that I don't have the issue any more :-D
    Happy ending.

Hope it stays functional for you!

Z30 STA100-5 -- OS 10.3.2.2168 -- stable.
    08-13-15 09:37 AM
    Wow. Lucky you.

Curious: BB or carrier replaced?

In any event, good luck with no more DT.
    08-14-15 12:49 AM
    Hi, you are definitely right and fully agreed with you on that issue. it would be nice, if you give us more details of how opening the phone and replacing the keyboard , please!
    08-15-15 01:38 AM
2,502 ... 9495969798 ...