Well, the Passport and Classic reports, to me at this point in time, is still inconclusive because some people have dropped their phones, sometimes it's hard to tell if you double typed it yourself by accident or if it was a true double type, this hasn't gotten to be too big or consistent of an issue yet. Thus, still can't really say.

I bought a re-released 9900 and the kb feels totally different from my original 9900. So far, no signs of double typing yet. My original 9900 and another 9900 I bought used are both plagued with double typing.

There's just way too many variables at play at this point.

#CB10 #WorkWide
    02-25-15 01:06 AM
    judging from this thread you are the only kne the "fix" worked for.
    02-25-15 01:28 AM
    I think in fact that BlackBerry did address this by supplying new keypads that don't have the double typing issue. I know it worked for me.

Posted via CB10
    If BlackBerry had addressed this issue, they should have replaced the defective keyboards for all their customers. Anything less than this is not a proper response to a global issue.

Posted using 10.2.1, thankfully not 10.3.1
    anon(3072139), lift and phylez like this.
    02-25-15 04:49 AM
    If BlackBerry had addressed this issue, they should have replaced the defective keyboards for all their customers. Anything less than this is not a proper response to a global issue.

Posted using 10.2.1, thankfully not 10.3.1
    I agree, but that would have been a PR nightmare for BlackBerry. I think they decided it was better to do it quietly.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 05:14 AM
    I agree, but that would have been a PR nightmare for BlackBerry. I think they decided it was better to do it quietly.

Posted via CB10
    Even quietly would not have bothered me had they continued to address the defect outside the 1 year warranty period. As it continues to recur 1 year of replacements is simply inadequate. A keyboard change is not an oil change.

Posted Via Classic SQC100-4/10.3.1.2072 CB10
    02-25-15 07:51 AM
    I think in fact that BlackBerry did address this by supplying new keypads that don't have the double typing issue. I know it worked for me.

Posted via CB10
    How long have you been using your repaired keyboard?

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 07:55 AM
    Has anyone been getting double typing issues with the Q5? I've had mine for about 13 months now but I haven't read of any Q5 issues. Are the keyboard designs different?

'Clickity-Clack' goes my keypad! - White BlackBerry Q5
    02-25-15 08:28 AM
    I haven't heard of any Q5's with the double typing problem.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 08:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    I think that it's overly optimistic to think that: a) the keyboards don't have the double typing issue; and b) that BlackBerry issued more keyboards on purpose.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 09:00 AM
    I think that it's overly optimistic to think that: a) the keyboards don't have the double typing issue; and b) that BlackBerry issued more keyboards on purpose.

Posted via CB10
    Part of me wishes he were right. There's no evidence to support the claim, unfortunately.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 09:47 AM
    I could be wrong. And yes, the issue may return as its only been a few days since the replacement. But so far so good. I honestly can't see how the problem could return as this new keypad feels more "secure", if that makes any sense.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 11:00 AM
    I could be wrong. And yes, the issue may return as its only been a few days since the replacement. But so far so good. I honestly can't see how the problem could return as this new keypad feels more "secure", if that makes any sense.

Posted via CB10
    Most of my replacements felt great and worked well for up to three months..... and then the double typing defect struck again.

02-25-15 12:44 PM
    Ok thanks. I hope that's not the case for me! I am starting to wonder too if the issue is also related to the model of the phone, and not just the keypad.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 04:33 PM
    I agree that my replacement feels much different than the original. Still, I have no idea whether that difference means that it won't double type in the future.
    02-25-15 06:10 PM
    Has anyone been getting double typing issues with the Q5? I've had mine for about 13 months now but I haven't read of any Q5 issues. Are the keyboard designs different?

'Clickity-Clack' goes my keypad! - White BlackBerry Q5
    Maybe on the Q5 BB used the same kind of keyboard that my 7290 had that worked perfectly to the day I gave it away a few years ago (and still may be working IDK), or my 9650 has that still works perfectly. No need to use this "old" technology on the Passport or Classic
    02-25-15 11:14 PM
    Maybe on the Q5 BB used the same kind of keyboard that my 7290 had that worked perfectly to the day I gave it away a few years ago (and still may be working IDK), or my 9650 has that still works perfectly. No need to use this "old" technology on the Passport or Classic
    My curve and my torch phones also had indestructible keyboards. Except, they didn't feel nearly as nice to type on as the Q10 does.

Posted via CB10
    SteveNoza likes this.
    02-26-15 08:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    PR nightmare means potential loss of customers. Ignoring the issues resulted in me leaving the brand after a decade. Potential loss of customer either way but I would not have given up had they addressed the issue and been there for someone who had supported them for so long. They barely addressed the PlayBrick's faults too (multiple returns for dead pixels out of the box but no address about sunken keys or faulty charging docks). It's all a little much, or perhaps not enough, for me to be spending another $500+ on. The Classic, with its mediocre specs and potential KB issues was $100 less than the Xperia Z3 Compact. It was an easy pick, even for someone who thought they needed a PKB phone and carried one for the past 10 years.
    02-26-15 09:38 AM
    PR nightmare means potential loss of customers. Ignoring the issues resulted in me leaving the brand after a decade. Potential loss of customer either way but I would not have given up had they addressed the issue and been there for someone who had supported them for so long. They barely addressed the PlayBrick's faults too (multiple returns for dead pixels out of the box but no address about sunken keys or faulty charging docks). It's all a little much, or perhaps not enough, for me to be spending another $500+ on. The Classic, with its mediocre specs and potential KB issues was $100 less than the Xperia Z3 Compact. It was an easy pick, even for someone who thought they needed a PKB phone and carried one for the past 10 years.
    Perhaps a calculated risk, rather than burying their heads in the sand?

On one hand, Blackberry says nothing, and risks losing a subset of its Q10 customers to attrition - a predictable (and maybe acceptable) risk.

On the other hand, Blackberry admits a defect, and risks scaring aware potential new customers - an unknown quantity (and therefore unquantifiable risk).

I think they decided to sweep it under the rug, willfully, accepting the known risk of doing so.
    Last edited by sgosh; 02-26-15 at 11:10 AM.
    playfoot and phylez like this.
    02-26-15 10:43 AM
    Perhaps a calculated risk, rather than burying their heads in the sand?

On one hand, Blackberry says nothing, and risks losing a subset of its Q10 customers to attrition - a predictable (and maybe acceptable) risk.

On the other hand, Blackberry admits a defect, and risks scaring aware potential new customers - an unknown quantity (and therefore unquantifiable risk).

I think they decided to sweep it under the rug, willfully, accepting the known risk of doing so.
    The subset as you call it appears to be most of the original adopters of OS10. Quantifiable but quite risky.

phylez likes this.
    02-26-15 10:40 PM
    The subset as you call it appears to be most of the original adopters of OS10. Quantifiable but quite risky.

Indeed, but only (a percentage of) Q10 owners suffer double-typing. Totally unaffected are Q5, Z3, Z10 and Z30 owners.

That's an overwhelming majority of OS10 users whose confidence won't be shaken because BB chose not to announce a design flaw / manufacturing defect. I think BB also considered that the press would have damaged their already battered reputation even further.

I'm not happy BB remained silent, but the business-sense side of me understands why such a decision would have been made.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9155131) and lift like this.
    02-27-15 08:53 AM
    So recently I'm having an issue with the G key. Sometimes double g, and the key feels "stuck" and needs a harder press to get a g. Is this the double typing thing or do I need to clean it - and is there a way to clean it?

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 01:51 PM
    So recently I'm having an issue with the G key. Sometimes double g, and the key feels "stuck" and needs a harder press to get a g. Is this the double typing thing or do I need to clean it - and is there a way to clean it?

Posted via CB10
    That's certainly the infamous double-typing issue.

I've taken my Q10 apart a few times, and the keyboard is one piece, not something you can clean easily - though it is possible.

If it's under warranty, it's a free repair. If not, depending on where you live, it's about $15 to have it repaired through your carrier (they send it to BlackBerry).

Q10 SQN100-1- OS 10.2.1 ... on its 3rd keyboard.
    03-08-15 02:10 PM
    That's certainly the infamous double-typing issue.

I've taken my Q10 apart a few times, and the keyboard is one piece, not something you can clean easily - though it is possible.

If it's under warranty, it's a free repair. If not, depending on where you live, it's about $15 to have it repaired through your carrier (they send it to BlackBerry).

Q10 SQN100-1- OS 10.2.1 ... on its 3rd keyboard.
    O that isn't too bad. I took an old toothbrush to it and it's a bit better now, the h y and t feel funny also so maybe it's something about the center of the keyboard, though only the g ever doubles or misses.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 03:02 PM
    Wow this issue has just gotten to an unbearable point for me now. It is freakin ridiculous. So many of my keys are double even triple typing and on an extremely frequent basis.

Any help? Or best touch screen to shift over to that isn't much bigger than a Q10?

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 07:12 PM
    Just replace the keypad. I did and it's perfect.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 07:22 PM
2,502 ... 9091929394 ...