I created a BBM Channel for this issue. C004D3FCD

Posted via CB10
    Add me to your channel please. Looks good so far. Great idea!
    05-01-14 06:54 PM
    I got mine from AT&T on launch day and started having the double type issue a few months ago. I finally broke down and called today for a replacement device which should be here tomorrow.. fingers crossed it is a good one!
    When you called them, did they give you any hassle about sending you a new one, or did you have insurance for it?
    05-01-14 06:55 PM
    No more double type! Got my new Q10 today!

Q10 & Loaner Q5 for two Weeks
    05-01-14 07:08 PM
    I know I'm probably playing with fire but I just don't want to send mine back and take a chance with a new one. My warranty will run out in June as I got mine the first day that AT&T had them in. I have the double typing issue but it isn't really bad yet. Guess when it gets unbearable I'll buy a new keyboard and have the local cell phone repair shop put it in. Until then, I'll grin and bare it and hope that it is indeed a SW program and a fix comes with 10.3.
    I'd advise getting a replacement before the warranty runs out. You have very little to lose.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    05-01-14 07:09 PM
    I tried this and rebooted. No dice! My "I" key still doubles up.

In fact, just applying a little pressure to the "I" key without actually pressing the key all the way registers a keystroke. Very annoying! Ugh!
    Same thing happened to me with the 'sym' key.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 08:13 PM
    Just as a note, my replacement has worked very well for the past two months now. The new keyboard feels much more crisp and responsive than the original ever felt. Here is to hoping the replacement is a better quality.
    Thanks man! I certainly hope so.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 08:18 PM
    When you called them, did they give you any hassle about sending you a new one, or did you have insurance for it?
    Not at all surprisingly. It must be a known issue there. I described the problem, she put me on hold and then came back a minute later and said she would process an exchange. Very quick and painless.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 08:19 PM
    And I don't have insurance on it. Just a warranty replacement.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 08:19 PM
    Was told it's a hardware issue. Something to the effect of what is under the keyboard and not the keyboard itself. Not sure how true it is my new Q10 is perfect and waited a week for the repair but I am guessing they didn't want or couldn't fix it so they sent me a brand new one. My warranty is up May 28th. I am really glad I sent it in and was fortunate I did it before my warranty was up. I suggest everyone do the same! Not sure how long it will take for the double type to reappear but for now, I am a pig in doodoo!

Q10 with latest leak
    05-01-14 08:39 PM
    Buy a Q5. It will be the end of your keyboard issues.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 08:43 PM
    Buy a Q5. It will be the end of your keyboard issues.

Posted via CB10
    That thought has crossed my mind; I've wondered how the Q5 keyboard stacks up (I've heard it's somewhat similar to the keyboards on the Curve phones). I also like the increased space between the keyboard and the touch-screen: I find that when I'm typing on the top row, I quite often accidentally trigger a gesture, and end up doing totally unwanted actions on the phone ...
    05-01-14 08:50 PM
    I had both devices. Q5 and Q10. I hated the dimness of the Q10's screen. It sucked. The Q5's screen is an LCD, and is the same brightness as a Z10. Not to mention an LCD will last way longer than any amoled screen will.

As for the keyboard on each, I find the face of the Q5 more plain, sharply defined, and kind of more sexy, all the while being plain, compared to the Q10. There is just something about the Q5 that says professional and sleek. It is really intuitive when you look at the Q5. The simplicity of the design, the fool proof keyboard, the reliability of having the LCD and extra brightness is comforting.

The Q5 is a meat 'n potatoes, modern and sexy BB10 device which gets the required tasks done effectively.

The Q10 is great too, but I can't stand the dim screen. Everything else was good.

I still return to the Q5 knowing it is rock solid, small and compact, and has BB10 on it. You simply cannot lose with a Q5. Battery is great too.

I'm compelled to say that the Q5 is a great priced, modern, new "original style" Blackberry. The fact a person has the keyboard, modern, plain, sleek design along with BB10 is a true winner.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-14 09:00 PM
    I had both devices. Q5 and Q10. I hated the dimness of the Q10's screen. It sucked. The Q5's screen is an LCD, and is the same brightness as a Z10. Not to mention an LCD will last way longer than any amoled screen will.

As for the keyboard on each, I find the face of the Q5 more plain, sharply defined, and kind of more sexy, all the while being plain, compared to the Q10. There is just something about the Q5 that says professional and sleek. It is really intuitive when you look at the Q5. The simplicity of the design, the fool proof keyboard, the reliability of having the LCD and extra brightness is comforting.

The Q5 is a meat 'n potatoes, modern and sexy BB10 device which gets the required tasks done effectively.

The Q10 is great too, but I can't stand the dim screen. Everything else was good.

I still return to the Q5 knowing it is rock solid, small and compact, and has BB10 on it. You simply cannot lose with a Q5. Battery is great too.

I'm compelled to say that the Q5 is a great priced, modern, new "original style" Blackberry. The fact a person has the keyboard, modern, plain, sleek design along with BB10 is a true winner.

Posted via CB10
    I think the Q5 is pretty ugly, though it has grown on me a bit since launch. I completely agree about the dim amoled screen on the Q10 though. Extra battery life is nice, but the Q10 is so dim that whites are yellow, even on full brightness. It won't even scan bar codes at the Cineplex mobile ticket printer.
    05-02-14 12:39 AM
    Honestly the Q5 is worth a look for all you peeps who are frustrated with your double typing issues. The keyboard is actually pretty awesome, it has a nice firm feel to it. There's plenty of bezel room so you aren't accidentally swiping up on apps. I would recommend getting a nice fitting soft shell case to add grip to the device as its pretty slippery when naked.

I haven't seen one post about double typing issues in the Q5 forum to date. Obviously this is a band aid solution because we all want to be using the most premium phone with all the bells and whistles. Let's hope BlackBerry gets it right with the Q20.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-14 07:06 AM
    Well, I want to add my name to the double typing issue. The period and spacebar seem to be acting up for me ever since the 10.2.1 VZW update. As for if the cause is software or hardware I have no clue.
    Last edited by mrskycar; 05-03-14 at 12:53 PM.
    05-02-14 09:16 AM
    When the double-typing problem first cropped up, I assumed it to be a software issue. Tried wipe and restore, downgrades to 2.1.x firmware .... No luck. The I found a OEM replacement keyboard on Amazon, and purchased it along with a set of screw drivers from ebay (T2, T3 etc.). On replacing the keyboard, the problem disappeared and everything was fine for about 2 weeks. And then, it came back! No software updates were done during this period.

Currently I have given up on Blackberry and I'm on a new iPhone 5s. Will wait for the Q20 to come out and hope BB improves their hardware.

PS: The double typing problem was strange, as in, it was worse on some days compared to others. On warm days when the phone was in the car with me, the double typing was more pronounced. On weekdays when the only outdoor exposure the phone saw was during cool mornings, or after sundown, and when the phone stayed indoors (air conditioned environs), the double typing was minimal and sometimes non-existent. I suspect the keypad membrane might be degrading with age and/or heat.
    Oddsocket likes this.
    05-02-14 11:16 AM
    It seems to have started with 10.2.1 for many people, suggesting it's not a pure hardware fault but something exacerbated by a software bug.

Kinda similar to the limited WiFi bug starting on 10.2.1...

Thoughts, anyone?
    05-02-14 11:25 PM
    I don't think it has anything to do with 10.2.1.

I bought my first Q10 in June 2013 and it was running 10.1 back then. The first double typing appeared 1 month later. Am on the 3rd keyboard now. And still experiencing double type.

If it's software issue, then I believe the Q5 will have same problems? But as far as I know, there aren't any Q5 with double type, only the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Oddsocket, snapexp and intprd04 like this.
    05-03-14 12:11 AM
    Hello!
    Got my keyboard replaced through the BlackBerry Expert Center here in the Philippines. My keyboard is now crisp and accurate, no double typing anymore, problem solved.
    My phone is under warranty for two years, so I didn't pay anything.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 05:41 AM
    I think it's a coincidence - the time it took for the keyboards to wear out coincided, more or less, with the release of 10.2.1. People in the US on carriers that hadn't yet released 10.2.1 still had issues.
    snapexp, Denny_Crane and intprd04 like this.
    05-03-14 06:31 AM
    Got my replacement in yesterday from AT&T and loaded up 10.2.1 and so far all is back to normal, smooth keyboard perfection! Hoping it stays this way.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 08:51 AM
    I think it's a coincidence - the time it took for the keyboards to wear out coincided, more or less, with the release of 10.2.1. People in the US on carriers that hadn't yet released 10.2.1 still had issues.
    Bang on.

It's definitely a hardware issue.

See my earlier post regarding my very sensitive "I" key where I apply just a little pressure and it registers a keystroke without me actually pressing the key all the way.

Posted via my double typing Q10 </3
    Denny_Crane and intprd04 like this.
    05-03-14 08:57 AM
    I don't think it has anything to do with 10.2.1.

I bought my first Q10 in June 2013 and it was running 10.1 back then. The first double typing appeared 1 month later. Am on the 3rd keyboard now. And still experiencing double type.

If it's software issue, then I believe the Q5 will have same problems? But as far as I know, there aren't any Q5 with double type, only the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    Looking at Michael Clewley's channel, there are many people who have only experienced the issue since getting 10.2.1.
    Yes, some had the issue before (10.1) but I do not believe it's a coincidence that the majority are having the issue now that 10.2.1 is live.

Maybe the Q5 isn't affected as it has a different keyboard?
    05-03-14 09:06 AM
    Get the Q5, and stop banging your head against a wall. Put in a bigger memory card....what's the big deal?

Posted via CB10
    dannykavs likes this.
    05-03-14 09:08 AM
    Just trade me your at&t Q10 for my z10 BEFORE the keypad goes bad!!!

Posted via CB10 with z10
    05-03-14 09:10 AM
2,502 ... 4041424344 ...