Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TWISM
  • 1 Post By tqmcguire
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default BlackBerry Q10 - Day 1

This started as a beautiful day. I woke up bright and early and hit my local AT&T store to pick up my new Q10. The salesperson never had an easier sale. I headed to work and played with my new prized possession whenever I could.

I used it for texting and personal emails and got used to the new gestures... my Bold 9900 sitting sadly in my desk drawer having served me so well. Towards the end of the day I decided it was time to get serious. I sent my IT guy an email asking for the ActiveSync settings to set up email on my new phone. I had been using the Outlook Web Access option on my 9900 but sadly that no longer exists with BB 10. He replied that they're not updating their BlackBerry server and will no longer support BB OS devices and definitely not BlackBerry 10 devices. Maybe I'm wrong but you don't need BES simply for an Exchange ActiveSync setup, right? I'm not a network engineer so I'm not sure.

Anyway, that was strike one. I was loving the keyboard and the swipe gestires were easy to get the hang of. I love this phone. Then I started going through my own "unboxing" even though AT&T had already taken it out to set it up obviously. I didn't like what I found. The box appeared to have been resealed. Then I noticed the power adapter wasn't in bubblewrap, it was just in the plastic wrap. The USB cable pouch also seemed a little too worn. I'm fairly certain I was sold a used device. I tweeted AT&T this evening and they replied telling me to exchange it. More on that in a minute.

Now on to this screen. It seems like the screen itself is a good display but this brightness, or rather the extreme lack thereof, is absolutely killing me. I don't have great eyes and the older I get the worse they get. My Bold 9900 on 10 is easily twice as bright as my Q10 on max. Automatically dimming or not, this is not acceptable. Let me decide. If I want to blow through my battery, that's my choice. I'm a big boy, I know how and when to charge my device. I also know how to plan so if I'm going to be away from power I'll pack a spare battery. I've read others say their screens are fine. I know it's mostly a personal preference but if my replacement is also this dim, I'm going to have to think twice about keeping it.

So I wrote this entire post on my beautifully engineered and built Q10. Don't get me wrong; I love this phone. I want to keep it but if I can't set up my work email (I'm working on that myself with one last piece of the puzzle to fill in tomorrow to see if it works) and if the screen is indeed this dim naturally, I'll probably have to go back to the Bold 9900. I don't want to but those qualms and the lack of Emoji in the SMS app are hurting. Yes, my family and friends and I love to use Emoji and my "all business" BlackBerry needs to be able to loosen its tie and join the fun with all the other phones! It's a fun phone. The gestures and movement keeps things fun but it's got a few more steps to take.

I'm going to try to stick it out, I think. Tomorrow is a big day in making that decision. Here's hoping the email trick works and the "actually new" Q10 replacement has a bit brighter screen. And here's hoping 10.2 comes soon and brings many improvements and resurrects some of the great features from BB OS 7.

Come on, BlackBerry, don't drive me or anyone else away!

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    born_mod (07-26-2013) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts

I know for a fact you don't need BES for your device. It works just fine with EAS.

Posted via CB10
    Thanked by:
    tqmcguire (07-26-2013) 
    ibpluto likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Quote Originally Posted by TWISM View Post
    I know for a fact you don't need BES for your device. It works just fine with EAS.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you. All I need is the correct domain (couldn't remember off the top of my head tonight) and I think I'll be good to go. Fingers crossed!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

I just started using my Bold as a work phone and the first thing I noticed was how much brighter the screen is on it. In saying that though, I do love my Q10!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

I also use my Q10 with the company email through Activesync. Works without any problems.

Posted via CB10 from BB Q10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

When I got to work I grabbed the domain name and I now have working email. Now to get an actually new Q10 this afternoon and I'll be good to go. Just a quick question, has anyone used Link to backup and restore their Q10 or even Z10? Does it work fairly well? I spent all day getting it set up the way I want it and am falling deeper in love with it so I want to make sure the backup/restore process works. I'll probably still make some notes and screenshots but restore would be great.
    revtech likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

I've got the brightness set to about 45% (less than halfway) on my Q10. The only time I've ever had a problem is in direct sunlight. I think there must be a problem with your device. If people weren't commenting in the forums, I doubt I would have ever noticed a difference from the 9900.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    983 Global Posts

Try different Wallpapers, depending on whether you use a dark or lighter coloring will change how bright / readable your screen is.

Posted via CB10
    White Blackberry Q10 SQN 100-2 / Taking a leak with 10.3.1.1016

If we lose our Right to Bear Arms, who will protect your Right to Free Speech?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts

I've played with the Q10 with my 9930 next to it and the screen on the Q is BRIGHT and crisp. Not sure what everyone is ******** about the brightness. Do you want to crew in outer space to be able to see your screen?
    CrackBerry User

I have my Q10 syncing with our hosted exchange server no problem. Just entered email/password and it started pulling all my mail/contacts/reminders/calendar/tasks right away.

Way better on BB10 the BBOS if you don't have BES server with you company. Active sync works like a charm

Posted via CB10
    Phone:
    Blackberry Bold 9930 w/32gb mirco sd
    Q10 in July!

tablet:
    Blackberry Playbook 64gb
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    2BEF400E

If your work isn't gonna support BB OS devices in a little while anyway, you might as well keep the Q10 (well, after you exchange it for a brand new one).

The brightness thing is up to each person to decide, but I agree, if someone wants to blow through their battery because they want a white theme, then let them.

I loved my two 9900s... they were great phones. But I could never imagine going back to them. I sold them as soon as I got my Z10, and by the time I got my Q10, they seemed totally archaic.
    Sean

Twitter: @SeanKelleher
    CrackBerry Master

I have used link to back up my phone several times without a problem. However, there are many posts on problems with Link. I have not performed an OS restore yet. And I don't sync my files but rather manually move them (you can map drives on your computer to both your phone memory and media card).
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

I got my replacement Q10 today and it seems like an actual new phone. AT&T, to their credit, didn't question me or balk at my claims and simply got a new one for me immediately and apologized.

Anyway, the keyboard seems even better than the one I had yesterday which hardly seems possible. Maybe placebo effect.

The screen, while still somewhat dim in a darkened room is more useable, especially outside. Today was particularly sunny and it still looked good.

My one issue is I think I've been locked out od my work server. I was using email up until the I wiped the old Q10 and I think during the restore process my phone may have tried to log in several times unsuccessfully. I wanted to do some work this weekend so I'll have to see if I can get to the self-service page or call the CS department to get my password reset.

All in all, this is the best BlackBerry I've ever used and I love it. I missed Advance OS and LED but BeBuzz Pro does enough of what I wanted. Instago will work until a native app is available. I sideloaded the Android version and just didn't care for it. If I was to post or comment I'll use my HTC One. It's kind of sad that that beautiful phone is going to relegated to my GPS in the car and an Instagram machine but that's how impressed I am with this Q10. Great job, BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

By the way, link worked pretty flawlessly. I had to reenter all my account passwords but that's to be expected I think. Everything else transferred easily enough. One recommendation though. Put your Q10 in airplane mode before the restore. I can't remember where I read that or I'd give them credit. My restore stalled but when I stopped it and put it in airplane mode it worked fine.

Posted via CB10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    408 Global Posts

In 10.2 we will be able to decide brightness ourselves?