As it turned out, I need to return my Q10 because it has a broken microphone.

I will be buying a new Q10 and my question is: can I restore my data backup from Blackberry Link software to this new phone? I will make a full backup before I return my phone and I would like to have the possibility to restore all my data on the new one instead of painfully reconfiguring everything again (which took me three days).

Also, what exactly is being backed up and restored with Blackberry Link? Is it like the old PalmOS desktop sync, where absolutely everything was backed up and could be restored, or like the new Palm webOS cloud-based "backup", where only some essentials were backed up and it turned out that SMS, notes, TODO entries etc. could not be restored?
    12-28-13 07:33 AM
    Hi! Sorry to hear about your Q!
    Perform a full backup and when you get the new phone, make sure you have the OS on it that you want and then restore the backup. It will back up SMS and emails and contacts and everything. I have done OS upgrades on my Z10 recently and the backup put everything back.
    12-28-13 08:09 AM
    OK, so I should perform OS update on the new phone, then restore (not the other way around)?
    12-28-13 08:12 AM
    OK, so I should perform OS update on the new phone, then restore (not the other way around)?
    Yes.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 08:35 AM
    If you gave your old q10 a name this is in the back-up file name
    You might need to change your device name to this if you want BlackBerry link to restore to the new phone.
    Only speaking from when I did a device wipe when I upgraded os, my back-up could not be used until I renamed my phone.
    Last edited by gg bb; 12-28-13 at 04:53 PM.
    12-28-13 03:09 PM
    Thanks for the tip, I will rename the new phone with the same name.
    12-28-13 04:30 PM
    Do a backup with Fire Chest Backup too. The forums are littered with reports of problems with BlackBerry Link. I have all but given up on BlackBerry Link too.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 06:33 PM