Being disappointed with my recently dropped battery performance I read the long thread about that problem.
    In that thread there were several advices related to the way people recharge their phones. I'm making this a new thread, as I would like to hear about your experience and knowledge about charging your q10's batteries.

Best moment to charge: Some people mentioned that nowadays one actually should not wait for the battery to be practically empty before recharging as this would damage the battery. This is practically the opposite of what usually was advised on older phones. It seems like most people agree on the not-too-late rule. What percentage do you recommend to start recharging?

Overall charging time: Charging for a short time seems not recommendable, people mentioned more than one hour. Is this agreed upon?

Kind of charging device used: The q10 comes with a standard USB connector. Should one only charge the phone using the original charging device? People have charging devices from other phones (like e.g. I have a charger from my Palm Pre), should these be avoided? What about charging on my laptop's USB connector?

I'd be interested to hear what in particular those who are satisfied with their phones' batteries have to say on those three points
    09-22-13 12:50 PM
    Welcome to the forums!

Here is a link that covers most of what you gotta know about charging, but let me answer the specifics too!

Ten tips and tricks to extend your BlackBerry Z10 battery life | CrackBerry.com

Being disappointed with my recently dropped battery performance I read the long thread about that problem.
    In that thread there were several advices related to the way people recharge their phones. I'm making this a new thread, as I would like to hear about your experience and knowledge about charging your q10's batteries.

Best moment to charge: Some people mentioned that nowadays one actually should not wait for the battery to be practically empty before recharging as this would damage the battery. This is practically the opposite of what usually was advised on older phones. It seems like most people agree on the not-too-late rule. What percentage do you recommend to start recharging?

Old phones didn't use Li-On batteries. Those guys had very specific rules that if not followed would end up in "memory" issues where the phone would need largerand larger amounts of time to charge. This is no longer the case, as both the hardware and software is set not to overcharge the battery. Letting it drain completely though, will diminish the battery's total recharge cycles. The more times it dies, the less about or charges you get. So keeping it charge allows for longer bettery life (not usage, total life of the battery).

Overall charging time: Charging for a short time seems not recommendable, people mentioned more than one hour. Is this agreed upon?

If you need to, do it. It's better than letting it die. If you can top the charge, it is always preferred though.

Kind of charging device used: The q10 comes with a standard USB connector. Should one only charge the phone using the original charging device? People have charging devices from other phones (like e.g. I have a charger from my Palm Pre), should these be avoided? What about charging on my laptop's USB connector?

The software and the hardware are set to prevent overcharging. Provided you don't plug the device to something it obviously can't handle, you should be ok. I for one, use the PlayBook's charge on my Z10 (and 8520/9780 when I had them) with no negative impact. Just ake sure the charge is for smartphones and by a trustworthy brand.

I'd be interested to hear what in particular those who are satisfied with their phones' batteries have to say on those three points
    PS: There is a link in RED as well. ><
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-22-13 at 01:57 PM.
    Richard Buckley and mbert like this.
    09-22-13 01:09 PM
    Thank you, also for the link. As I've been trying out a couple of things trying to optimise battery life on my device I was getting slighly paranoid
    diegonei likes this.
    09-22-13 01:35 PM
    Here is another article on Tips to extend your BlackBerry 10 battery life (and avoid overheating) that I put together which you might also find useful.
    mbert likes this.
    09-22-13 01:51 PM