So I am currently just jabbing at the characters with whatever thumb is free, and although I already type very fast, is there a way to type even faster? I've tried "gliding over the keyboard", but then I make too many mistakes. So I am currently "jabbing" at the keys.

Q10
    03-26-14 08:22 PM
    I have fingers of both hands cradling the phone, so each thumb is coming in from either side. Mostly cut the keyboard in half for left vs right hand.

I'm on a Z30. When I had a hardware keyboard, like on Bold 9900, I would sometimes do the glide over the keys too, but not all that often.

Type in the same position mostly and you'll start to form some muscle memory. I didn't look at the keyboard at all while I typed this, nor did make any mistake that autocorrect didn't catch & fix.
    03-26-14 08:32 PM
    What an interesting question! I type different than my other friends and I think I type pretty fast.

First, I am right handed. I hold the phone with my right hand and type with my right thumb. On the left side I use my left pointer finger to type while holding onto the phone with my left thumb on the bottom and my middle finger along the side up to the usb port.

Using my left pointer finger for the left side of the screen has worked very well for me. I've noticed that my right thumb raises above the keyboard far higher than my left pointer finger. The thumb stabs the keys while my index finger kind of hovers and presses the keys.

I hope that paints a picture of my way I type and is something you were looking for with your post. Happy typing

Posted via CB10
    03-26-14 08:38 PM
    You don't type, you flip.

Posted via my Astro Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2141 on CB app
    03-26-14 08:56 PM
    If you get a Z10 or Z30 you can flail instead of jab. I've heard flailing can be quicker than jabbing if done correctly

....just saying

CB10'n it via da Z
    03-26-14 09:10 PM
    OP posted in the Q section for tips from Q users. Not Z users to talk about their devices

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    03-26-14 09:26 PM
    I tend to hold my phone in two hands and type with two thumbs. I hold the phone in the same position every time I type. I find that I can type without even looking at the keys. After a while, the auto correction seems to pick up just about everything. Having said that, though, I have created this entire post by using the voice dictation. It takes some time and frustration to get the voice control to learn your voice. But after awhile it is very accurate.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on my Qued10 in CB10
    03-26-14 10:37 PM
    OP posted in the Q section for tips from Q users. Not Z users to talk about their devices

Posted via CB10
    .....you wont like him when he's angry
    03-26-14 11:56 PM
    What an interesting question! I type different than my other friends and I think I type pretty fast.

First, I am right handed. I hold the phone with my right hand and type with my right thumb. On the left side I use my left pointer finger to type while holding onto the phone with my left thumb on the bottom and my middle finger along the side up to the usb port.

Using my left pointer finger for the left side of the screen has worked very well for me. I've noticed that my right thumb raises above the keyboard far higher than my left pointer finger. The thumb stabs the keys while my index finger kind of hovers and presses the keys.

I hope that paints a picture of my way I type and is something you were looking for with your post. Happy typing

Posted via CB10
    That's really really interesting

Q10
    03-27-14 05:33 AM
    I have fingers of both hands cradling the phone, so each thumb is coming in from either side. Mostly cut the keyboard in half for left vs right hand.

I'm on a Z30. When I had a hardware keyboard, like on Bold 9900, I would sometimes do the glide over the keys too, but not all that often.

Type in the same position mostly and you'll start to form some muscle memory. I didn't look at the keyboard at all while I typed this, nor did make any mistake that autocorrect didn't catch & fix.
    On Bold 9900 I could touch-type under a table with less mistakes than when I actually viewed and slowly henpecked with my iPhone or...to be fair...with my Playbook. Getting there with the Q10, but not yet.

It's definitely "a thing" but what Elite1 says about Muscle Memory is absolutely correct...(in my experience. Past performance does not guaranteee future results, as they say, though. Your mileage may vary. Offer not valid in certain states.)...
    03-27-14 08:21 AM
    On Bold 9900 I could touch-type under a table with less mistakes than when I actually viewed and slowly henpecked with my iPhone or...to be fair...with my Playbook. Getting there with the Q10, but not yet.

It's definitely "a thing" but what Elite1 says about Muscle Memory is absolutely correct...(in my experience. Past performance does not guaranteee future results, as they say, though. Your mileage may vary. Offer not valid in certain states.)...
    Yeah same here I came from the bold 9900 and I could type without looking on the bold, but not on the q10 yer

Q10
    03-27-14 08:28 AM
    I used to jab at all the keys, but now I've gotten very good with gliding over them. It's very fast.

I hold my phone with my fingers woven in between each other and my index fingers at both of the top corners of my device. It makes sure I have good grip and the phone doesn't move much as I'm typing unless I purposefully move it so I can reach a key.

Also, if you're typing with one hand, try turning on word predictions. I wish there was a quick setting for this because when I'm typing with two hands, I go too quickly for the predictions!

Oh, and I've also developed a muscle memory for my phone (and all BlackBerry keyboards for that matter), so I can type easily without looking

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    03-27-14 08:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    My Mom does that with her iPhone. It isn't very productive on a physical keyboard though :P

03-27-14 08:40 AM
    I used to jab at all the keys, but now I've gotten very good with gliding over them. It's very fast.

I hold my phone with my fingers woven in between each other and my index fingers at both of the top corners of my device. It makes sure I have good grip and the phone doesn't move much as I'm typing unless I purposefully move it so I can reach a key.

Also, if you're typing with one hand, try turning on word predictions. I wish there was a quick setting for this because when I'm typing with two hands, I go too quickly for the predictions!

Oh, and I've also developed a muscle memory for my phone (and all BlackBerry keyboards for that matter), so I can type easily without looking

Nice, I'm still developing that muscle memory skill, it'll be so awesome if I could. The q10 is my first qwerty keyboard blackberry besides the 9930, but I hadn't had the bold very long do I never got used to that keyboard either. Hopefully the q10 will last quite a while.

Q10
    03-27-14 12:12 PM
    My Mom does that with her iPhone. It isn't very productive on a physical keyboard though :P

Well I kick **** at it. A Q can make anyone productive. I type my way on it all day long and never look directly at the keyboard

Sent from an ATM
    No trees were harmed during the making of this message
    03-27-14 12:45 PM
    Yeah, ikr that's going to be my overall goal. Typing without looking down at the keyboard. How long did it take you?

Q10
    03-27-14 01:22 PM
    Dvorak keyboard?

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 01:31 PM