Not sure how Youtube or Netflix will look on the Q10 with its square screen. Thoughts?
    02-09-13 03:02 AM
    The square screen thing really grinds my gears. There's enough room on that phone to have made a slightly rectangular screen - or to have made the phone as tall as the Z10 and had a rectangular screen that could at least show video slightly letterboxed as opposed to totally letterboxed.
    02-09-13 06:02 AM
    I figure it can be done; I watch YouTube vids on my 9900 on occasion, but that's the trade-off for getting the qwerty keyboard...reduced screen real-estate.

If Netflix and YouTube are high on your list, then the Z10 might be a better solution for you.

My personal preference for media consumption, especially video, would not be a 4.2" phone, but a 7+" tablet.

IMO, the Q10 is a "work-horse" phone...I get more stuff done on my 9900 than iPhone/Android.

Having said that, I know plenty of productive people who have an iPhone (my brother) or Android (my wife).

For me, though, the 9900/Q10 form factor is just too perfect to give up.
    02-09-13 09:55 AM
    It's as good as you want to make it. If you think that video on a 3.1" square screen with work qwerty is good then it will be great. If you only like 4.8"+ screens then you will hate it and come on here and write a negative thread about how the q10 sucks on media compared to a Note 2.
    02-09-13 02:56 PM
    Had some Q10 time at the launch event in NYC, I think the screen is a good size to be the kind of phone its designed to be smaller screen and bigger battery make not a powerful workhorse for serious professionals

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-09-13 03:02 PM
    well the screen resolution is said to be 720p type so i believe it should look great. since it supports LTE we should have no problem with playing HD videos. im ok with the sacrafice of the screen size to have a the keyboard. i do quite a bit of typing through out the day on Bold 9900 and cant wait for the Q10 to be available in the states...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 while i patiently wait for myQ10
    02-09-13 10:50 PM
    It will be the best darn video experience that you can get on a 3-inch screen!
    revtech and retomex like this.
    02-10-13 06:53 AM
    It will be the best darn video experience that you can get on a 3-inch screen!
    haha i agree 100%.
    I went with the Z10 for that very reason though, been a long time user of the 9900 and have a Galaxy note as my spare phone. Screen size is good when you have to deal with multimedia stuff...pictures, videos etc etc. i think the full touchscreen Z10 will give the best BB10 experience but we'll see when the Q10 comes out. that's my only real concern... but i am getting a Q10 when it comes out..
    02-10-13 03:53 PM
    I'm sure media consumption won't be much better than on a 9900. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would buy a Bold-type device to watch Netflix on it. I rarely use my 9900 to watch YouTube videos, though when I do, I'm always pleasantly surprised at how well it does display the video, even if the screen is small.

I'm only getting the Z10 because that will come out first, but I am looking EXTRA forward to the Q10. I never got onboard with the touchscreen phones; my Torch 9810 is the closest thing I have to a touchscreen phone (my PlayBook doesn't count), so I am looking forward to the best qwerty keyboard in the business, with a bigger, brighter screen, and all those high-end materials that BlackBerry has been touting about the Q10.
    02-10-13 04:44 PM
    If its videos you want to watch I would go with the Z10. I love my 9930 but its just not that great for videos. The Q10 looks more of a business type phone..not to say you can't get work done on the Z10 but the screen size is a factor.

Its like my 9930 I don't know why it went to touch screen, I never use the touch screen because of the trackpad. It seems like the new BBOS is best suited for a touch screen experience and this is why I am giving the Z10 a try when available in the States.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    02-10-13 05:01 PM
    my 9800 And Note 2 make a really good combination. Note 2 for big screen viewing-videos,newspaper articles etc. 9800 for regular small screen phone,texting. Want to get a BBQ10 to replace 9800 which is OS6. BB should make a Note size pocket version Z10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    02-10-13 06:08 PM
    well the screen resolution is said to be 720p type so i believe it should look great.
    Actually, the screen resolution is 720x720, which does not make 720p, since you can't use all 720 lines if you want to see full width. On a 16:9 video, you can expect the video to display at 720x405 with black bars on the top and bottom.
    02-11-13 08:16 AM
    Actually, the screen resolution is 720x720, which does not make 720p, since you can't use all 720 lines if you want to see full width. On a 16:9 video, you can expect the video to display at 720x405 with black bars on the top and bottom.
    Jetstreamblue is correct, though this is really a technicality. The "active picture area" (excluding the black bars) with a 16x9 video would equal 405 lines horizontally.

However I think some people tend to think of resolution figures as a reference to quality rather than a hard count of the total amount of lines. The fact that the screen will only display 405 lines does not mean that the image quality was reduced from "720p" to "405p" in the scheme of how people think about what those numbers mean. You would not say that the pixel density was reduced from 330 PPI to 186 PPI simply because some of the pixels display only black.

See this article from CNET which discusses this issue.
    02-18-13 10:40 AM
    Is there really anything to guess? The screen aspect ratio makes this self-explanatory. What you should be concerned about is the effect on battery life and whether certain formats can be decoded correctly, whether certain formats are jumpy, etc.

And yeah, I don't get why people even feel a need to write an article about letterboxed movies on a computer or TV screen. It falls into the "in other news, water is wet" category.
    02-19-13 03:52 PM