First off I love my Q10 and I am a Blackberry fan, always have been.

Whats upsetting me though is that I can not accept credit cards from customers with an app specifically made for my Q10. Heck I'd even settle for an app made for the BB10 platform, but my search has been, and continues to be, fruitless?

Sure, I can side load an app like Square made for a Google device, which renders rather poorly on my Q10 (I know because I tried), however doing so doesn't give me a very secure feeling? I wouldn't feel very comfortable swiping a customers credit card and using software that I'm not sure is secure?

This issue seems like something that should have long ago been solved, after all I can't be the only one looking for a mobile payment solution?

It is shocking to me that those who work in this field (Square,Paypal,etc) have not seen fit to develop this much needed app?

Confused,
    Stingstar
    rayporsche likes this.
    05-28-14 04:10 PM
    Square has just established a Canadian permanent office in Kitchener/Waterloo so who knows where that may lead.
    05-28-14 04:16 PM
    I hear you and totally agree with your position. That been said I swipe away nonstop everyday via 'PayPal Here' and 'Square' which of course were downloaded via Snap......no security issues so far and they work pretty good. And yes I've been there, my PayPal account was hacked hence one of the bank accounts and credit card as well, not pretty. It happened with a non BlackBerry device though.....

Via Q10 @ CB10
    05-28-14 04:23 PM
    Blackmoe: Yes, lets hope that leads to something positive.

rayporsche: Thanks for you input, it has helped put my mind at ease and I was not aware of "Snap". I spent an hour or so today reading up on it and the setting it up on my Q10, sure makes getting Google apps a breeze. I deleted the Square register I had previously installed and downloaded it again through Snap, still renders poorly but at least I know its the official version and not some thiefs version.

Stingstar
    05-29-14 03:19 PM
    Try Moneris they have a service that you can probably use. They are Canada's largest payment processing company

Z10
    05-29-14 03:22 PM
    I hear you and totally agree with your position. That been said I swipe away nonstop everyday via 'PayPal Here' and 'Square' which of course were downloaded via Snap......no security issues so far and they work pretty good. And yes I've been there, my PayPal account was hacked hence one of the bank accounts and credit card as well, not pretty. It happened with a non BlackBerry device though.....

Via Q10 @ CB10
    I use both PayPal Here and Square too. No issues on my end using my Z30. The apps also work nicely even though are sideloaded APKs.

Posted via CB10
    rayporsche likes this.
    05-29-14 03:35 PM
    Thanks for all the help and feedback everybody!

Question regarding the use of Square:

I see that a signature is required for purchases exceeding $25.00, how do I get a signature using a Q10? Don't want customers signing my screen with a pen, so that doesn't sound workable?

Confused,
    Stingstar
    05-29-14 03:49 PM
    Maybe get a stylus to carry? Would that help?

Put a screen protector on too and you should be ok.

If you're using your phone for business, there will always be costs to doing any sort of business including possible damage or scratches to your phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-14 04:16 PM
    Signatures work pretty good using the finger. If you are running an event like a flea market or garage sale I would get a cheap tablet just for this purpose because I just don't want a lot of strange people touching the part of my phone that goes against the side of my face.
    05-30-14 02:47 PM
    What about investing in a Z10 for your business? They're $200 new and sometimes cheaper on eBay. It would solve two of your problems: 1. Square rendering properly. 2. secondary device to get signatures.
    05-30-14 02:53 PM
    What about investing in a Z10 for your business? They're $200 new and sometimes cheaper on eBay. It would solve two of your problems: 1. Square rendering properly. 2. secondary device to get signatures.
    Actually if you do this all day long then a cheap Android tablet is the way to go. Phones are best for occasional use.
    05-30-14 03:19 PM
    If a q10 has Nfc capabilities, why can't IT accept Nfc enabled credit and debit cards. Every one trust BlackBerry for security. All you need is the proper app

Z10
    05-30-14 08:29 PM
    I am using a Q10 with Square Register V1.0.0.194 installed using Snap. The app starts and recognizes the reader, it seems to read swiped cards, but goes whitescreen when trying to authorize. Bluetooth is not on and Location services and all other permissions required by Square Register are enabled. Has anyone experienced this problem (can't complete a transaction).
    06-29-14 10:13 PM
    I am using a Q10 with Square Register V1.0.0.194 installed using Snap. The app starts and recognizes the reader, it seems to read swiped cards, but goes whitescreen when trying to authorize. Bluetooth is not on and Location services and all other permissions required by Square Register are enabled. Has anyone experienced this problem (can't complete a transaction).
    Yes, I get the same problem on the Q10 while authorization seems to be just fine on the Passport. I'm using version 254 downloaded from 1mobile. The odd thing about it is that the author is Bob Lee and I expected Square.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 02:42 PM
    Have you tried izettle for payments?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 02:51 PM
    OP. Why scary?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 05:42 PM
    OP. Why scary?

Posted via CB10
    Because he's a paranoid man.

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.0.1418