Hey guys, I said I'd update with a quick review of the Mugen Power 4400mah replacement battery in another thread. So here I am.

I'm running a 10.2.1 Q10, set up on Friday (February 27, 2015). Three email accounts, two cloud accounts. OS is probably still settling a bit. Wifi, ATT LTE, no Bluetooth, no NFC. Swipe to wake is ON. Screen at half-brightness.

I received the Mugen Power battery on Saturday (February 28th). I charged it for 12 hours straight (and then some). This is recommended by Mugen. So I didn't start using it until 6:30am on Sunday (March 1st)

I browsed, an hour or two of youtube videos, an hour or two of calls, texts, emails, photos, etc. I used my phone in a normal fashion. I wasn't on it constantly, but I definitely was using it regularly, and not lightly (but not as heavy as some of you. I believe I represent a good median between heavy media users and light messaging users. I lie somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

With all that said, this should paint the picture of the kind of amazing battery life I was able to achieve after just my first battery cycle:

4400mah Mugen Power Battery Review-img_20150304_070253.png

My phone finally died at about 7:30am this morning (March 4th). That's an hour more than a full three days, or 73 hours in total. To me, that's pretty amazing.

Now you've all heard about how when that this phone will last quite awhile after hitting 0%. And that's true. But it didn't hit zero until 4:30pm yesterday (March 3rd). So it really wasn't annoying to me. I just had an extra 15 hours of safety after it hit zero.

So the battery meter was relatively accurate, compared to what I've been led to believe. 100-0 took just under 60 hours. That's good enough for me. Just charge your phone every two and a half days and you'll be fine, with that half-day safety net just in case.

So I put the phone on charge this morning at around 7:30am and took it off when it hit 100% at 9:30am. If this short charging time is accurate, and I hit the same numbers again, I'll be extremely happy. We'll see how charge cycle 2 goes.

So far, I can't recommend this battery highly enough. The rear cover is a little larger than it needs to be, but I've gotten used to it quickly and am enjoying the offbeat coolness of my bulbous Q10 now.

For travel and work, the battery is a no brainer. If I'm going to a wedding or something, maybe I'll go back to the stock battery and cover.

I can post some photos later on as well. But for now, I just wanted to get this preliminary review out there for you guys to read.

Battery life should even improve as my OS settles and my battery is trained (five cycles, or two weeks+a bit).

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 10:16 AM
    Pictures:
    4400mah Mugen Power Battery Review-_dsc0295.jpg
    4400mah Mugen Power Battery Review-_dsc0296.jpg
    4400mah Mugen Power Battery Review-_dsc0291.jpg
    4400mah Mugen Power Battery Review-_dsc0294_2.jpg

Despite the size difference, the extra weight isn't too noticeable. I'd say the unbelievable battery life makes up for any introduced awkwardness and the lack of a protective case.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 03-04-15 at 11:49 AM.
    03-04-15 10:18 AM
    pic pls
    03-04-15 11:15 AM
    pic pls
    Updated with photos.
    03-04-15 11:49 AM
    thanks... great review so far...
    03-04-15 12:18 PM
    How much was the battery?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 12:21 PM
    How much was the battery?

Posted via CB10
    It was $90 on Amazon. It's a steep price when you consider the cost of an OEM replacement battery. But the Q10 is my only phone--300usd for the whole kit, and I think it's a better setup for work than the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-15 02:18 PM
    Function over form I would choose to carry a spare battery... Impressive battery life though.

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    03-04-15 02:36 PM
    Thanks. You're the first to actually give a review on this battery. Others haven't come back to post.

The battery must be selling. It's been out for a while now and the price is still $90.
    03-04-15 04:49 PM
    Great to hear that it works well.
    Does the extended battery cover have NFC antenna?

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2267 CB10
    03-04-15 06:18 PM
    Great to hear that it works well.
    Does the extended battery cover have NFC antenna?

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2267 CB10
    Yes it does. I'll take some internal shots tomorrow.

Thanks. You're the first to actually give a review on this battery. Others haven't come back to post.

The battery must be selling. It's been out for a while now and the price is still $90.
    No problem. I've been so curious myself and there is no information out there, really. Glad to provide a little information.

Here's the power breakdown:
    Attachment 338897

Attachment 338898

Attachment 338899

There's loads more, but it's all under a percent value and doesn't offer much insight.
    jope28 likes this.
    03-04-15 07:38 PM
    The problem to me looks like if you drop the phone, the odds of it breaking something would surely increase.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 01:28 AM
    The problem to me looks like if you drop the phone, the odds of it breaking something would surely increase.

Posted via CB10
    Hmm I don't know about that. Because of increased mass or because of no case?

I'll weigh the phone with the Mugen battery today.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 06:58 AM
    Discharge two update: I'm getting around 52 hours this time around. A whole day less it seems. (edit: I ended up with closer to 60 hours, but with less phone time, still not as good).

I'm going to chalk this up to the two hour charge time I gave it. You can't trust the 100% on your phone I'd bet. I'm going to let this charge for 6 hours or so once it dies.

Battery cycle three will tell us the whole story and I'll be able to come to a conclusion about how this battery functions and how the phone understands it.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 03-07-15 at 10:36 PM.
    allsportsfan likes this.
    03-06-15 08:16 AM
    Discharge two update: I'm getting around 52 hours this time around. A whole day less it seems.

I'm going to chalk this up to the two hour charge time I gave it. You can't trust the 100% on your phone I'd bet. I'm going to let this charge for 6 hours or so once it dies.

Battery cycle three will tell us the whole story and I'll be able to come to a conclusion about how this battery functions and how the phone understands it.

Posted via CB10
    Great! Looking forward to your reviews. Am thinking of getting a Mugen for my Q10 too.

CB on Q10
    03-06-15 09:02 AM
    Thanks for the review.
    I am also looking for a White one.
    Amazon is only selling the Black.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 09:17 AM
    Interesting review but yikes, $100 beans for that? I'd sooner buy either a couple spare OEM batteries (i bought one off amazon actually) for $12 a piece or a portable USB battery pack.
    03-06-15 11:44 PM
    Yea I would go with a spare OEM battery or better yet the BlackBerry Charging Bundle.
    Thanks for the review, subscribed to hear about the 3rd cycle.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 11:58 PM
    Great review and thanks. However i choose to carry a spare oem battery. I dont think i would get used to hold my q10 with its bulkyness on the back. Afterall this is why i choose the q10 over the passport and classic. To be able to swap battery. Again thanks for the review and pics

Initiated from my Q10
    03-07-15 06:24 AM
    By contrast, I'd much prefer a larger integrated battery at a higher cost - genuinely baffled by the drive to slimmer and slimmer devices that require more frequent charging and protective cases that make them just as bulky anyway.

Thanks for sticking with the review, you interest must be flagging a bit by now.
    Lag_Fisher likes this.
    03-07-15 07:22 AM
    Discharge two update: I'm getting around 52 hours this time around. A whole day less it seems. (edit: I ended up with closer to 60 hours, but with less phone time, still not as good).

Posted via CB10
    The "Volt" app is supposed to make sure you get accurate % reading with extended batteries. http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59935143
    Maybe that can be useful.

03-08-15 09:47 PM
    By contrast, I'd much prefer a larger integrated battery at a higher cost - genuinely baffled by the drive to slimmer and slimmer devices that require more frequent charging and protective cases that make them just as bulky anyway.

Thanks for sticking with the review, you interest must be flagging a bit by now.
    Good point. I'm also leaning towards this. I've been using a 'power bank' and sometimes the connection with the phone just gets messed up inside my bag or even pocket. Not good for my phone's battery.

CB on Q10
    03-08-15 10:33 PM
    The "Volt" app is supposed to make sure you get accurate % reading with extended batteries. http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/59935143
    Maybe that can be useful.

Thanks for the advice. Just purchased and will set it up with my fourth battery cycle.

Update on third cycle: sitting at 40% after 48 hours. Pretty impressive. About an hour of youtube, apps open, etc. Getting some light to medium usage.

Once this hits zero, I'll follow up with my final thoughts and a few more snaps/measurements.
    Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    03-08-15 11:39 PM
    Alright, cycle three gave me around 82 hours before the phone shut itself off. Pretty great.

I'm getting more than a full three days out of a charge, which is changing the way I handle my phone. Kind of liberating. Reminds me of the old classic flip phones that lasted me the better part of a week.

It's an expensive battery, but consider than its giving me around three+ times the battery life of a standard Q10 battery. I'm convinced, though I'm not sure the size of the rear cover would suit everyone. And I have yet to see how long the battery retains its good health.

I'd definitely say that this setup makes for the ideal travel phone. It's so reliably ready, even without having been plugged in for days. No battery life anxiety. That's the real benefit, I think.

Now I can see myself going back to a standard battery cover occasionally, for the thinness of it all. But for now, the thick battery will be the workhorse.

One note, I think I'll pad the rear cover a bit, as there is just a bit of space between the battery and cover. The battery hasn't become unseated yet, even with a drop where the rear cover popped off. But to be safe, I think it should be padded.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help. I know I need to take a few more pictures and weigh the phone.

Overall, I'd recommend it to anyone who wants the very impressive battery life: I'm thinking business people, travelers, etc. Most people should be fine with the standard battery. I hate swapping batteries, so this is ideal for me. It's a real function over form type of setup, so you have to have that predilection.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. Those steep dips in battery life were from long video watching.

4400mah Mugen Power Battery Review-img_20150310_081207.png

4400mah Mugen Power Battery Review-img_20150310_081214.png

Posted via CB10
    dmlis, Lag_Fisher and allsportsfan like this.
    03-11-15 12:41 AM
    Alright, cycle three gave me around 82 hours before the phone shut itself off. Pretty great.

I'm getting more than a full three days out of a charge, which is changing the way I handle my phone. Kind of liberating. Reminds me of the old classic flip phones that lasted me the better part of a week.

It's an expensive battery, but consider than its giving me around three+ times the battery life of a standard Q10 battery. I'm convinced, though I'm not sure the size of the rear cover would suit everyone. And I have yet to see how long the battery retains its good health.

I'd definitely say that this setup makes for the ideal travel phone. It's so reliably ready, even without having been plugged in for days. No battery life anxiety. That's the real benefit, I think.

Now I can see myself going back to a standard battery cover occasionally, for the thinness of it all. But for now, the thick battery will be the workhorse.

One note, I think I'll pad the rear cover a bit, as there is just a bit of space between the battery and cover. The battery hasn't become unseated yet, even with a drop where the rear cover popped off. But to be safe, I think it should be padded.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to help. I know I need to take a few more pictures and weigh the phone.

Overall, I'd recommend it to anyone who wants the very impressive battery life: I'm thinking business people, travelers, etc. Most people should be fine with the standard battery. I hate swapping batteries, so this is ideal for me. It's a real function over form type of setup, so you have to have that predilection.

Thanks for reading.

P.S. Those steep dips in battery life were from long video watching.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150310_081207.png 
Views:	2247 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	340353

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150310_081214.png 
Views:	2254 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	340354

Posted via CB10
    If it won't be too much to ask, could you share some photos of your Q10 with the mugen and the mugen batt itself? Thanks cowboy!

CB on Q10
    03-11-15 01:42 AM
47 12