Some background: I have used most BlackBerry devices that were made since about 2005. I run my own business and when we are in product cycle probably process 3-400 emails a day. My mission is to never have more than 10 or so mails in my inbox by the end of the day and often have none when I go to sleep. This means responding and filing or deleting every mail I recieve.

I went from a 9900 to a 9360 because of the 'one line display' on 9360 meant I could see more mails per page. Also the 9360 had UMA which the 9900 did not (it had wi-fi calling, not the same). The Q10 has neither by the way.

I stuck with BlackBerry because of the keyboard. I could type without looking at the keyboard or the screen which was very useful. Although I have an ipod touch I find typing on it very difficult - especially if lying in bed. It often fell on my face!!

I waited and waited and waited for the Q10. I was very excited with the prospect of a better keyboard (I had preferred the 9900 keyboard and this was close), the decent browser, the lack of battery pulling or timer icon going round and round.

The product launch was dreadful and actually tracking one down in London that I was allowed to buy off contract proved a huge challenge. However, 16 days ago I did get one.

I did not like it at all. I was on CB moaning, writing lists of all the things wrong with it. (takes longer to file emails, no blackberry business cloud integration, email formatting etc etc etc - see my other posts!). It didn't "just work" (sorry, couldn't resist!). And it still doesn't.

But a few days ago things started to change. I would pick up my ipod touch and swipe up. I was powering through emails as quickly as before and my muscles just knew what to do. It is robust, reliable, intuitive, slick, safe and efficient. True, it does not offer me every feature I would have liked to carry over at the time but now there is not much I miss. I do miss little details like seeing when someone is typing a message to me on BBM but I would never go back now. Today I was on a train for 5 hours from London to Cornwall - I was on my device almost the entire trip and still had battery when I got to my hotel.

The reason I was inspired to write this was because I was out tonight and sitting next to me was an acquaintance and his wife. He was making notes on his Q10 and after the show we were at I asked how he was getting on with it. He said he only got it yesterday. I asked if he thought it was the worst device ever and his wife laughed and said he had said "why would they make something worse than the one before". I knew exactly how he felt but assured him that within a few weeks he would not be saying that. I realised my experience is akin to being a father. Absolute hell at the beginning but before long you adapt and then you wouldn't have it any other way.

I still have gripes I would like to see addressed for sure but for all you guys in your early days, this is just the sleepless nights phase of parenthood and you will soon enter the cute toddler phase!!

Thanks for reading if you did - sorry for the ramble.

Like a tap dancing mouse on my Q10
    05-17-13 06:43 PM
    CORRECTION - it does say when someone is writing a message on BBM.

Like a tap dancing mouse on my Q10
    05-17-13 06:46 PM
    I had a similar experience when I went from my Bold to my Z10. I was so used to the Bold experience I guess I expected a complete transfer of features that were on OS7 to BB10. I was confused when that didn't happen. I guess I was also a little disappointed as well. But then a couple of things twigged for me.

First, I knew that it was a completely new OS. But I guess I didn't understand that idea. I was used to old and really didn't expect new. I would if I had gone to Apple or Android but didn't expect new with BlackBerry. Of course, lots of the old features were included but not all so I focused more on the old rather than the new.

Second, my focus on the old meant that it took me a while to fully appreciate the new features that make BB10 better. No spinning hourglass, no battery pulls, no snail's pace browser etc. No, now I've got the hub, story maker, a blazing fast browser, a super keyboard to name a few features.

So I'm with you. I would never go back. I'm glad I made the switch and took the time to learn and adjust to the new system. Sure it was a transition but in this case at least, change is good.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 08:59 PM
    I agree. It's a much superior device. Takes a bit of time to get used to, but I'm happy with the Q10.

I have an email functionality issue with my rogers email (it's yahoo based, I believe) and here it is hoping that someone will help me figure it out or that it would be resolved by BlackBerry in an upgrade:

With my curve I used to have emails arrive instantly, and I was able to keep them until I deleted them. Since my BlackBerry is my main method of email management, having instant access to old emails meant I never had to go my desktop unless I wanted to print an attachment. With the Q10, my rogers email is delayed by 5 minutes and I can only access the last 30 days on my BlackBerry. The 30 days rule is an inconvenience because I can't retrieve older emails on the BlackBerry. Interestingly, one of my email accounts is an exchange active sync. My emails arrive instantly and the 30 days limit doesn't apply. I can retrieve emails as far as November, which is when the account was created. However this is not an account that I use (or would like to use) permenantly.

A big pro for me is the ability to file messages in the Q10. I wasn't able to do this with the curve, but now, I can create subfolders and file my incoming emails. Very useful. At least would help me find older emails on my desktop now that I have to go there to access them. I'm not able however to file sent messages which kind of defeats the purpose of keeping things organized and where they belong.

Would be grateful if someone knows a trick to get over this.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 10:07 PM
    If battery life were acceptable, it would be the perfect phone.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10 or my Z10
    05-17-13 11:19 PM
    Hi JamesBond,

I don't know what's wrong with your device, but my Q10 lasts for 20h+. I got up at 6AM and when I go to Bed at around 11:30 PM I have still 40%+.
    I use my device through the hole day, receiving more than 50 Mails through BES10, 1h phone call, 60+ BBM etc. I have absolute no chance to drain the complete battery during one day! For me battery life is extraordinary...

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 01:10 AM
    I had a 9900, then bought a Galaxy S3, then an iPhone 5, hatest the touch screen experience so much I could never adapt even after 2 months. So I bought a Curve 9320 (this Curve has an easy 2 day battery life with heavy usage thanks to its 1450 mAH battery and low res screen and slower CPU), but then the Q10 comes, I missed that big keyboard again...went to the store and played with it...I did this for like 3 daysi n a row and couldn't find myself owning this device. I do love its dual cameras, the quality of the pics taken are amazing, but the BB10 experience and many quirks that I read about here made me run away in fear.

I bought a 9900 again and man do I miss it! this is what BlackBerry is, ease of use! with the Q10 they took that away. I don't want to swipe up or down or left or right to see my messages or switch apps! the BB Menu key simply cannot be replaced by anything.

Selecting text on the Q10 is a living nightmare no matter how much I tried to get used to it. having no call / end call buttons and no speed dials...heh..baffles me..

I love my 990 but to each his own, at the end of the day, it's what works for you

congrats on your Q10
    anon(5478175) likes this.
    05-18-13 03:54 AM
    @BullGuard8 i'm on the same boat, 9900 with trackpad is the most advanced feature to do selecting text and so
    BullGuard8 likes this.
    05-18-13 04:18 AM
    Why can't they introduce a virtual trackpad onto the Q10? I think that would help people, and be very useful.
    05-18-13 04:42 AM
    A minor quibble, but I have to learn how to properly hold the Q10 when typing an e-mail so that I don't inadvertently activate the additional menu commands. The hang-up button on my old 9000 served as a physical separator between the keyboard and screen, and now that this dead band is gone, I have to pay more attention as I type. All said, the Q10 is an amazing piece of hardware and it will continue to get better with each new software update.
    05-18-13 08:30 AM
    I agree. It's a much superior device. Takes a bit of time to get used to, but I'm happy with the Q10.

I have an email functionality issue with my rogers email (it's yahoo based, I believe) and here it is hoping that someone will help me figure it out or that it would be resolved by BlackBerry in an upgrade:

With my curve I used to have emails arrive instantly, and I was able to keep them until I deleted them. Since my BlackBerry is my main method of email management, having instant access to old emails meant I never had to go my desktop unless I wanted to print an attachment. With the Q10, my rogers email is delayed by 5 minutes and I can only access the last 30 days on my BlackBerry. The 30 days rule is an inconvenience because I can't retrieve older emails on the BlackBerry. Interestingly, one of my email accounts is an exchange active sync. My emails arrive instantly and the 30 days limit doesn't apply. I can retrieve emails as far as November, which is when the account was created. However this is not an account that I use (or would like to use) permenantly.

A big pro for me is the ability to file messages in the Q10. I wasn't able to do this with the curve, but now, I can create subfolders and file my incoming emails. Very useful. At least would help me find older emails on my desktop now that I have to go there to access them. I'm not able however to file sent messages which kind of defeats the purpose of keeping things organized and where they belong.

Would be grateful if someone knows a trick to get over this.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    The problem with the Rogers email is that when using BlackBerry Internet Service, Yahoo email would notify the BIS of new email and you'd get it almost instantly. However Yahoo itself doesn't use push email hence you only get the emails to your device when the device checks for new mail. Which sounds like it's set to every 5 minutes.

Activesync email fully supports push therefor your device is notified as soon as you get new email.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 09:45 AM
    I tried to use my 9900 this morning and almost couldn't. This has now really become a heritage experience. The touch screen is just so last century!

Posted via CB10 on my Q10 or my Z10
    05-18-13 12:02 PM
    9900 was my favorite smartphone. Despite the iPhone 5 being superior in almost every way. The email client, bbm, and texting was the best on BlackBerry.

Making the jump to 9900 from now, now that I have the Q (and Z, but I'm not using it ever since I got the Q), is impossible. Still a great phone and in many ways looks better in terms of looking flashier with the silver look, I could never go back.

And don't forget: this is the FIRST iteration of BB10. iOS when it hatched wasn't solid, but because it was novel, you forget what it didn't have. Well, BB10 is also brand new, but the speed and extras BlackBerry will be able to tackle swiftly is not available on any other OS.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 12:12 PM
    What I also loved about the End call button , is that when you are in an app, pressing the end call button minimizes everything and takes you straight to the home screen. These little things that we never cared to mention, now sound like a great feature.

anyone with me on this?
    05-18-13 12:17 PM
    What I also loved about the End call button , is that when you are in an app, pressing the end call button minimizes everything and takes you straight to the home screen. These little things that we never cared to mention, now sound like a great feature.

anyone with me on this?
    And a swipe up from bottom bezel does what?

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 04:06 PM
    Why can't they introduce a virtual trackpad onto the Q10? I think that would help people, and be very useful.
    We asked for something similar on the Playbook as, at least, some of us think that cursor placement is a nightmare of pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey. Cursor one to the left, NO, not down a line. Try again, no, too far right. Back down a line................... pain in that donkey's rear!
    05-18-13 04:16 PM