So i decided to see what my q10 would do after it hit too many tried on the unlock password. I backed up the phone, and went at it. Turns out it gets stuck at 9. I kept putting in wrong passwords, probably about 20 times. No slow down, no wipe, nothing...Some security...
    07-08-13 09:18 AM
    interesting, i dont want to try it yet on my Z10, i will do when a .483 update comes to see.

Normally it will wipe itself, but i dont think thats good.
    if someone steals your phone, 10 times wrong and the person can still reinstall the phone.
    07-08-13 09:37 AM
    The feature is not about the phone itself, but your information. If you can't get the password right after 10 times, the phone is wiped and the information is gone. That protects you by ensuring the information, pictures, etc on the phone don't end up in the wrong hands. This is where memory card encryption comes in too. The decryption key is kept in the device memory, so if that disappears, the card can't be decrypted except through a complete format of the card, losing all data on the card. Thus, your information is protected again.

JB
    07-08-13 02:13 PM
    The feature is not about the phone itself, but your information. If you can't get the password right after 10 times, the phone is wiped and the information is gone. That protects you by ensuring the information, pictures, etc on the phone don't end up in the wrong hands. This is where memory card encryption comes in too. The decryption key is kept in the device memory, so if that disappears, the card can't be decrypted except through a complete format of the card, losing all data on the card. Thus, your information is protected again.

JB
    But that can be a problem is the hardware actually dies - the data on the card is tied to that specific phone and can't be used in a new phone? I guess you need to separately backup all of the card data.
    07-08-13 06:25 PM
    You should ALWAYS back up ALL of your data somewhere else.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    07-09-13 06:25 AM