hi,

guess what I bought a new phone and chose it to be PRIV. I'm during the test period. So far it won't connect to wifi. OS version: Lollipop. It seems almost all apps require internet connection. Question to the PRIV users: how does it feel like to use PRIV under Marshmallow and what apps can you run offline? What is so cool about it that should make me keep the phone rather to returning it to the provider and buying an iPhone? I'm a fan of BB but under android, not sure.
    12-20-16 04:26 PM
    I recently sold my passport se for the priv, I have had it one week and I'm now sending it back. The hub sucks under android. The battery also drains quick. I am a android, iOS,and blackberry 10 user and honestly I think bb10 is the best, so I just bought another passport and back to bb10 I go. I use a Iphone for work and honestly would rather use that instead of the priv. You may not have the apps that iOS or android has but you should try a passport on bb10. You can access everything you need through the browser or side loading.
    12-20-16 06:27 PM
    hi,

guess what I bought a new phone and chose it to be PRIV. I'm during the test period. So far it won't connect to wifi. OS version: Lollipop. It seems almost all apps require internet connection. Question to the PRIV users: how does it feel like to use PRIV under Marshmallow and what apps can you run offline? What is so cool about it that should make me keep the phone rather to returning it to the provider and buying an iPhone? I'm a fan of BB but under android, not sure.
    I'm fairly happy with the Priv as an update from my Z30. While obviously Android is not BB10, bb10 is on its way out and depending on ones needs, is already out.

I don't know why your phone is not connecting to wifi. When I got my ShopBB I did not have a sim and I upgraded to Marshmallow using wifi at home. I then downloaded a slew of apps to match my Verizon Priv.

I don't know what you mean by offline. You need to have some connectivity to do most stuff but obviously, if you have music, video or pictures, you can view or listen offline. I actually had few problems with Lollipop since Verizon did not release MM till last month. MM has not made that many noticeable changes but I wanted it as it gives me more control over Permissions.

I don't think that the iphone has a physical keyboard. I really like units that don't have a physical home button while I like pkb's. But since I've never owned an iphone and rarely use one, I can't compare.

But I will say, if you are not happy with a phone than get a different one.
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    12-20-16 07:51 PM
    I came from a Z30. I like my Priv. I especially like the fact that apps just work. I also like the better control of what apps can access on Marshmallow. The Hub works well and has features I really like.
    BionicKris likes this.
    12-20-16 07:54 PM
    Still using my Passport and my 3 week old Priv. Taking my time to get used to Android, never had, (no will I), own an iPhone. The Priv is a nice phone, no regrets getting it. Now starting to double tap on my Passport! Lol. Wi-Fi works fine on my Priv, perhaps you have a bad one?

Passport all the way
    BionicKris likes this.
    12-20-16 09:23 PM
    The Priv is getting better each update.

If you asked this question one year ago I'd said don't go for it.

Now I would suggest to buy it

Great device and keyboard is nice too.

Regards
    BionicKris likes this.
    12-21-16 12:38 AM
    I own & use a Priv as well as an iPhone. In fact, I just upgraded to the iPhone 7 today as it will save me $30/month since I traded in my iPhone 6s Plus. Go for what you like and will serve your needs in a cell phone. I use the Priv for business needs mostly. While I use my iPhone for work as well as personal, I still enjoy working on the Priv.
    12-21-16 12:56 AM
    hi,

Why don't you first update it to Marshmallow? Makes no sense to run a phone with year-old software, it got far better since then.

I've had it for 4 months and I'm pretty much perfectly happy with it. My wife has a company-issued iPhone 6 and she bought her own Priv which arrived a week ago and she will probably also transfer all work-related stuff and return the iPhone.

Regarding apps you can use offline, depends on what you need. Whenever I was abroad I used Android phones offline without issues, Google Maps can download maps for offline usage, there are specific travel, public transport, navigation apps etc. Whenever I was in Budapest, I had less problem getting around with my "offline" phone than in my home city.

What's cool about BlackBerry Android in particular? Definitely the physical keyboard on the Priv, Hub, software is all around great and Android offers vastly more functionality and customisation than iPhone. Priv's QHD AMOLED display is also much better than the iPhone's display etc.

If you ask some more specific questions and describe your needs in more detail, we'll be able to tell you more.
    12-21-16 03:45 AM
    I upgraded from a passport to the BlackBerry PRIV. And this device is amazing. I like the combination of a big screen and a physical keyboard.
    BionicKris likes this.
    12-21-16 04:14 AM
    I have both Passport and Priv and if purely for emails and messaging, Passport wins. If I need to use Google Maps, Uber, connect to my Pebble for full use of functions, full functions of WhatsApp, Facebook etc etc, Priv is the phone I use. I have both in my work bag and find I use the Priv solely now. phone calls, ergonomics, weight, comfort of use, Priv is better. Battery on Passport is twice as good as Priv. Priv last me from 7am to around 6-7pm. So I need to carry a portable battery pack with me (always).
    12-21-16 04:53 AM
    Remove Facebook, i can use my Priv for 18/20 hours
    12-21-16 06:10 AM
    I upgraded to the Priv from a Classic in August, so I'm not one of the early adopters that experienced issues. Though I really liked using BB10, it wasn't long before I was comfortably BB Android. I immediately updated to MM.
    I find the Priv a very nice device to use. I adapted to the PKB quickly and use almost all of the time which is why I decided to get it. I wanted the PKB.
    Initially I did notice a battery drain that was accompanied with a warming of the device that would happen every couple of days. I was able to rectify this with a restart, so it wasn't too much of an issue. I eventually I linked it to the HUB+ and WhatsApp. Since the last HUB+ update this has been rectified and the battery life which I always thought was good (as it matched what I experienced with the Classic) has now increase to being fantastic. After a full busy day I struggle to reach 50% at 11pm (from 7am) and it runs cold all the time, much better than my Classic.
    Update the OS to MM and all the apps. Hopefully your experience will be similar to what I am now experiencing.
    I would without hesitation recommend this phone. It's as perfect a device as I've ever used.
    Mirko935, FF22 and BionicKris like this.
    12-21-16 08:18 AM
    Came from z30 and pretty much every other previous BlackBerry. While I agree with the hub being slightly better on the z30 the priv does everything very well. Plus my battery life is as good or better than the z30. The only thing I am not impressed by on the priv is the pkb. It is to recessed to be comfortable
    12-21-16 10:08 AM
    I enjoyed my Passport except for the app issues. The Priv's keyboard has the same functionality as the Passport. But the Priv's app experience is superb. It is the best phone I have owned.
    12-21-16 10:21 AM
    My experience. AWSOME
    12-21-16 12:51 PM
    I came from the Passport to the Priv. Love the device. It took a little bit of time to get used to the Priv keyboard compared to the Passport, but I love it and use it most of the time.

I loved BB10, but I find BlackDroid to be very powerful. I can use different launchers to customize how I use the phone. That takes me back to the old theme days of BBOS.

Update your phone to marshmallow. It really makes a difference.
    12-21-16 01:35 PM
    I originally loved this phone the first week. After that, I'm finding it harder and harder to use as the screen keeps going off on me. Sometimes a black screen, sometimes with just the date and time and sometimes a notification and nothing else. Anyone else have this issue?
    12-21-16 01:37 PM
    I originally loved this phone the first week. After that, I'm finding it harder and harder to use as the screen keeps going off on me. Sometimes a black screen, sometimes with just the date and time and sometimes a notification and nothing else. Anyone else have this issue?
    Are you using it on a surface with magnets or near magnets? Or a case?

You can check in Display Settings and see what type of timeout you have set.
    12-21-16 02:54 PM

From the description it definitely sounds like the flip case screen. It's either what you're suggesting or a faulty sensor (if that's possible, I'm not quite sure what kind of sensor that is).

Regarding that, I use the flip case and I've seen it do weird things while and shortly after laying it (especially with the flip case open) on large steel surfaces, my washing machine, steel tables and such.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-21-16 03:29 PM
    I don't think that it matters whether you're using an Android device, or Apple. There are just as many on either platform that use Data. Whether or not you should return your Priv and get an IPhone, really depends on what you want out of your device. If mobile security is important to you, I'd stick with BlackBerry. If it's not so much, then you have a lot of choices out there, that will give you pretty much all you want, and it's just a matter of which platform you prefer. Mobile security is important to me, and for that reason, the only smartphone I've ever owned, and will likely ever own in the future is a BlackBerry. I came from BlackBerry OS, to BB10, and now the Priv running BlackBerry's own version of Android, and I like it. Iphones can be made to be as secure as BlackBerry, but they don't come that way out of the box, and usually requires a lot of "techie" intervention to get it there.
    12-21-16 03:47 PM

The case I am using is a leather case that is open at the top. No magnet in it. My purse has a magnet in it. Never bothered my Z10.
    12-21-16 04:36 PM
    Bought the Priv on February of this year. Before that owned the Z10, Q10, Classic and still own two Leaps. I absolutely love the Priv. Gorgeous device, nice to have working apps without sideloading with added security. I do use the PKB a lot. U asked why this device over the iPhone. Besides the PKB, not just for typing but also for being a trackpad as well as all of the shortcuts, I love having the wireless charging, NFC (I use a smart tag in my car), expandable memory and great battery life. I use my phone quite heavily for work and will still have about 40-50 percent by end of a work day. And this device is tough. I don't use the flip case, nor do I have a screen protector. So far so good. And the VKB is excellent too. We have two S7s in the house and I prefer typing on the Priv's VKB over the Samsungs.
    FF22 and andy957 like this.
    12-21-16 11:25 PM
    For a slider-style smartphone I have been enjoying the BlackBerry Priv I since release date in 2015. I would be dishonest if I said I do not miss the smaller BlackBerry Q5 in some ways. That said, I like the larger screen of the BlackBerry Priv and it's physical keyboard. I use a variety of applications which were never available for my BlackBerry Q5 and on BlackBerry OS 10 there is no way I would run Google Android applications using the BlackBerry Android Player. Overall I give the BlackBerry Priv and BlackBerry Android 8.5 out of 10.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-21-16 11:37 PM
    hi,

So far so good . Cannot complain at all. I am with Priv since Jan. 2016 . The device has matured a lot since then . Marshmallow has gelled well with the device . The rear camera is getting better with each update sans the front cam which is weak . The Hub is excellent and the support by the Blackberry team has been excellent . The battery life is good . My device lasts about 9-10 hours due to heavy usage which is comparable with my legendary Passport . The performance of device is good not to speak of the android app store which takes care of app gap completely . The VKB / PKB are just superb . Wrt iphone I have no idea as have been using only the Blackberry devices and I have no reasons to switch to other devices.
    Last edited by IndianTiwari; 12-22-16 at 07:53 AM.
    12-22-16 12:37 AM
    I really like my PRIV. Bought it during the Black Friday sale. The only thing I really hate is the creaking back. Ordered some 3m tape so I Will try and fix it this weekend. I really think this creaky back issue ruins the PRIV experience for me. I love the device and it feels really premium but this creaky back is really a slap in the face
    12-22-16 01:12 AM
49 12