The writings on the wall, we must read what is there and not turn our heads because we cannot handle the truth!

The Passport was BB final attempt to bring people back to BB with OS10 and it failed to generate the new users!

Now Priv is BB's finial attempt at the hardware market by getting Android users to buy a BB phone?

If that's the way it is I need guidance from Chen. If me putting down my Passport and buying a brand new, not used Priv is what is required to help BB stay in the hardware business I would. If everyone who now use BB phones on OS10 would abandon them to jump on Priv, then would that help BB or hurt BB?

I cannot see anyway that BB can stay in hardware with BBOS10, there is no growth there, that is proven and a done deal. The only consideration is; can BB go toe to toe with Samsung and take 10 % of their phone business? Plus get everyone off OS10 and onto BB phones running Android. A fraction of iPhone users only will try out the Priv, perhaps they used to be on a BB on OS7 and would prefer a PKB.

Another poster commented on another thread that it would be financially difficult for BB to run two OS's at once. I don't know. Does putting Android on a BB really require that much ongoing research and updating? BBOS10 is fully developed, it works, and most whining about OS10 problems has dropped. All that BB has to do is tweak OS10, adding new features and security updates as needed like Android does now. I don't much change in Marshmallow, just hype. The General UI isn't changing, it looks the same. Maybe BB can sell hardware running OS10 and Android? I can imagine that if the Priv sells go nuts and surpass expectation, it surely would be a cost saving to BB to drop OS10 and focus solely on Android, creating a minor Shell that gives some OS10 feel to appease old timers and impress new users.

Bottom Line: It feels as if Priv is BB's last chance to increase sales of hardware. IMHO if BB can retain it's current BBOS10 phone base and create the same number of Priv users on Android they may stay in hardware, if maintaining two OS's is economically feasible. It won't be overnight, but a long haul, there will not be any overnight miracles. I am grateful that Chen is trying and trying hard to hold onto BB hardware and I thank him for that!
    10-07-15 09:19 AM
    If you want to buy an Android phone, buy the one that suits your need. Don't buy it because it is a Blackberry Android. There is nothing special about it. Chen has no clue how to run a company that requires outside developers to be successful. He also doesn't know how to run a company in the consumer space. BlackBerry will be no more successful with Android than with BB10.
    10-07-15 09:25 AM
    If you want to buy an Android phone, buy the one that suits your need. Don't buy it because it is a Blackberry Android. There is nothing special about it. Chen has no clue how to run a company that requires outside developers to be successful. He also doesn't know how to run a company in the consumer space. BlackBerry will be no more successful with Android than with BB10.
    It has a touch enabled physical keyboard... that's special, nobody has it. What other companys have that is special?
    10-07-15 09:32 AM
    Passport SE, LEAP, Classic.... you could make an argument for any of these.

Passport SE isn't really a new model, just a variant that was in fact a canceled order that BlackBerry got stuck with.
    LEAP... doesn't even exist in the US and BlackBerry didn't put much into selling it.

Really think the Classic was the last real attempt to make BB10 work.... but either way I don't think it really matters.
    anon(55900) likes this.
    10-07-15 09:37 AM
    It has a touch enabled physical keyboard... that's special, nobody has it. What other companys have that is special?
    Phones that sell?
    rambo47 and kadthekid like this.
    10-07-15 09:38 AM
    That fact that BB is still here and even thriving outside the phone hardware business proves Chen is a highly intelligent business man, that's obvious. BB's failures started with the original group being a one trick pony and not being able to innovate and stay viable. Chen will keep BB alive and have growth at least in the other aspects of it wide business range of products. PS: The Priv has the best PKB of any smart phone, plus you get the choice of having everything with VKB as well ,but saddly no BBOS10.
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    10-07-15 09:39 AM
    Phones that sell?
    BB is selling phones, but in the devil's world of the stock market, you either produce crass, gross, extreme profits or they dump you for the next big thing. Blackberry probably could continue for the next ten years just as it is. but, the stock holders won't allow it. They'll probably eventually split it up into different companies, gut it. Yes the original company let the momentum die and couldn't innovate, but truth be told the stock market will kill. Perhaps Chen is working as hard as he to make a viable hardware business as he'll probably gets a big bonus for the most companies that he can split off in the end.
    10-07-15 09:46 AM
    BB is selling phones, but in the devil's world of the stock market, you either produce crass, gross, extreme profits or they dump you for the next big thing. Blackberry probably could continue for the next ten years just as it is. but, the stock holders won't allow it. They'll probably eventually split it up into different companies, gut it. Yes the original company let the momentum die and couldn't innovate, but truth be told the stock market will kill. Perhaps Chen is working as hard as he to make a viable hardware business as he'll probably gets a big bonus for the most companies that he can split off in the end.
    800k phones a quarter compared to the competition is nothing. Why would the stockholders allow it? Is Blackberry a charity, I mean if you want to give your money away go for it...

If you can't compete you can't compete, hard to compete with recruiting talent against Apple, MS, Google, FB, etc.
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    10-07-15 10:03 AM
    Yeah, curse those traders that want a strong YoY return, instead of wanting to support BBRY. *eyeroll* When I was in the equity market, I bought and sold stock based on the money that they would make for me, not because I had an emotional attachment to any particular entity. Trading that way is a brilliant way of watching your trading account go to zero. Is it really so difficulty to believe that a rational equities trader would choose not to trust a firm that pissed away billions and the leading mobile marketshare in a matter of years? It's a recognition that any positive valuation of BBRY would be based on feelings, not on the reality of what would and will sell.
    10-07-15 10:10 AM
    Nobody has it because it's not a device mover in the broader consumer market.
    lift likes this.
    10-07-15 10:15 AM
    ^THIS
    10-07-15 10:23 AM
    It's not a device mover...yet. An android phone with the BlackBerry physical keyboard is something special and I have confidence that it will sell. Will it instantly be successful, I don't think so but over time I believe it will do great.

Every phone I see nowadays is a full touch device...what's so special about the same phone that everyone is carrying whether it's Samsung, apple, HTC, LG or whoever else wants to make another slab phone?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 10:26 AM
    Phones that sell?
    That's a nice feature, congratulations. I'm going to a store and ask for the phone that sells the most, regardless if it makes any sense to my usage or not. Potatoes sell more than phones, maybe I should get a potato instead
    Shadowyugi, SPNKr, raino and 2 others like this.
    10-07-15 10:33 AM
    So what a feature that is a "device mover" in today's market? (aside for the feature that changes your name to samsung or apple)
    tnewton3 likes this.
    10-07-15 10:35 AM
    That's a nice feature, congratulations. I'm going to a store and ask for the phone that sells the most, regardless if it makes any sense to my usage or not. Potatoes sell more than phones, maybe I should get a potato instead
    Thanks! Well if your phone doesn't sell, soon you won't be able to walk into the store and get it....then you can get a potato instead.
    10-07-15 11:56 AM
    Totally agree! John Chen have always been acting like politician from the beginning not like businessman his words cannot be trusted no matter what he says.

''Splendiferousness'' is not even a word that I use to decide my passport
    10-07-15 12:13 PM
    I disagree. BlackBerry design classy phones and hopefully the new one will combine the best of both with a wide range of apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 12:15 PM
    Yeah, curse those traders that want a strong YoY return, instead of wanting to support BBRY. *eyeroll* When I was in the equity market, I bought and sold stock based on the money that they would make for me, not because I had an emotional attachment to any particular entity. Trading that way is a brilliant way of watching your trading account go to zero. Is it really so difficulty to believe that a rational equities trader would choose not to trust a firm that pissed away billions and the leading mobile marketshare in a matter of years? It's a recognition that any positive valuation of BBRY would be based on feelings, not on the reality of what would and will sell.
    Geez dude you are a perfect example of everything wrong today in the corporate and media worlds. Extreme profits and creating a society of blind consumerism so a few can hoard even more of the wealth. Hey apple's only sitting on like $300 billion dollars while the economy is stagnant for most.

You must be excited for the day when we have just one giant corporation left like in wall-e.

Posted via CB10
    anon(55900) likes this.
    10-07-15 12:16 PM
    Does putting Android on a BB really require that much ongoing research and updating?
    Not as much as getting BB10 to work with the Priv hardware setup, since those components all have Android drivers made available.

If Qualcomm is asking for an exorbitant sum in order to write proper Snapdragon 808 drivers (not to mention the other components), which is what Chen is saying during the earnings call Q and A, then it is in BlackBerry's best interest to take the path of least financial resistance.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-07-15 12:23 PM
    Geez dude you are a perfect example of everything wrong today in the corporate and media worlds. Extreme profits and creating a society of blind consumerism so a few can hoard even more of the wealth. Hey apple's only sitting on like $300 billion dollars while the economy is stagnant for most.

You must be excited for the day when we have just one giant corporation left like in wall-e.

Posted via CB10
    It's easy to demand a 'fair share' of the wealth when you aren't the one taking the risk and putting in the effort to make it.

I'm going to disabuse you of a few of the notions that your teachers gave you whilst handing you your participation trophy: none of us are special and none of us deserve anything that we don't produce. Nothing of your dignity as a human being, or that of anyone else, entitles you to something that was produced through the exercise of mind of someone other than yourself.

If people want to buy loads of things with their money, so be it. If they want to hoard their money, so be it. If they want to invest it in a company with the reasonable expectation of a higher return than they would otherwise have, so be it. It belongs to them, not to you.
    10-07-15 12:35 PM
    It's not a device mover...yet. An android phone with the BlackBerry physical keyboard is something special and I have confidence that it will sell. Will it instantly be successful, I don't think so but over time I believe it will do great.

Every phone I see nowadays is a full touch device...what's so special about the same phone that everyone is carrying whether it's Samsung, apple, HTC, LG or whoever else wants to make another slab phone?

Posted via CB10
    You're confusing the concept of novelty. There's nothing novel about a physical keyboard. At one time every smartphone had them, because a workable full-touch solution had not been developed. iPhone changed that and the market went where it wished. When taking into account questions of mechanical reliability over the lifetime of the phone, ease of configuration and foreign language access, and inherent production cost, a VKB has been, in both the market and in practice, shown to be superior. It wasn't so long ago that BBRY users were crowing about what a superior VKB BB10 had versus other platforms. It seems only now, in the desperate desire to justify the blind lob of a failing hardware manufacturer, that PKBs are not just good but something that will take the market by storm. We'll see in a few months.
    10-07-15 12:44 PM
    It's easy to demand a 'fair share' of the wealth when you aren't the one taking the risk and putting in the effort to make it.

I'm going to disabuse you of a few of the notions that your teachers gave you whilst handing you your participation trophy: none of us are special and none of us deserve anything that we don't produce. Nothing of your dignity as a human being, or that of anyone else, entitles you to something that was produced through the exercise of mind of someone other than yourself.

If people want to buy loads of things with their money, so be it. If they want to hoard their money, so be it. If they want to invest it in a company with the reasonable expectation of a higher return than they would otherwise have, so be it. It belongs to them, not to you.
    Ha people like you don't create anything tangible. You just move money around to create more imaginary money.

Too bad that people like you don't realize that you actually end up hurting yourself with your views in the long run. You make the risk worse for yourself but continue on. And no i'm wasn't brainwashed by some teachers handing out participation trophies. I'm an investor myself with completely different beliefs then yourself.

Posted via CB10
    anon(55900) and SmileDahling like this.
    10-07-15 12:49 PM
    I cared about BlackBerry when 10 was launched and kept being improved to something no other platform could touch. Unfortunately those days are gone.

Now it seems it's all the same and it doesn't matter if BlackBerry succeeds or not. The priv is nothing fancy. I might get it when I'm bored of my passport, or move to ios if they one day get a decent file manager.
    10-07-15 12:51 PM
    Ha people like you don't create anything tangible. You just move money around to create more imaginary money.

Too bad that people like you don't realize that you actually end up hurting yourself with your views in the long run. You make the risk worse for yourself but continue on. And no i'm wasn't brainwashed by some teachers handing out participation trophies. I'm an investor myself with completely different beliefs then yourself.

Posted via CB10
    If you've such a problem with the fiscal situation of the global market, protest ZIRP or the mark-to-model fantasies that have been institutionalised to prevent underwater parties from realising losses or the HFT bid issuance retractions that allow stocks to become artificially inflated. Don't protest my investing in a sane manner.
    10-07-15 12:53 PM
    I'm not going to buy a Priv coz I wanna help ssve BlackBerry, I'm getting one coz I like it.
    anon4226395 likes this.
    10-07-15 12:55 PM
104 123 ...