The price has come down a lot. Now we have DTEK50 and soon DTEK 60. The big question is if you want to stay on BlackBerry, would you buy a Priv after your experience with it?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 04:51 AM
    Depends what you are after.

Priv - high end specs, high end price and brilliant screen with physical keyboard.

DTEK50 - low end specs and cheap

DTEK60 - high end specs with all the modern features of most flagships, USB-C, fingerprint scanner QHD screen

I personally couldn't go back to BB10, availability and ease of use with the Play Store is great.
    The BlackBerry software on Android is pretty good as well and the big bonus is the amount of updates you get. At this stage every update is bringing new features, some from BB10 and some newer still.
    I would stick with a BlackBerry Android, now Note 7 with slide out keyboard by BlackBerry would be awesome!!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Bucky2016 likes this.
    09-30-16 05:10 AM
    I appreciate this response. I think I understand the differences among the phones at least on a technical basis. I should been clearer to sget the opinion of those who have used the Priv for a long time. I understand that experience is mixed??

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 05:32 AM
    I for one, finally ordered the Priv yesterday after almost a year of contemplating.

At first I couldn't justify the price as my passport was still working fine. Not being sure of the Android experience, I bought a Nextbit Robin thinking that I would be saving some money for the same specs as the Priv. However, the phone is mainly made of plastic and it ended up breaking after 4 months of use. I fired back the passport in hopes of being able to tough it out until the new physical keyboard comes out but the lack of apps on the passport after having had the android experience is quite obvious.
    However the typing experience is quite amazing, I simply cannot stand typing on a glass slab so even though the priv may not have the most recent specs (newest processor, most amount of Ram, fingerprint scanner-which I found convenient, and USB-C), the performance of the Robin was fine for my needs so I ultimately went with the Priv above all the new phones coming out.

I guess it really comes down to PKB or not, at least for me...
    FF22 and tavisdunn like this.
    09-30-16 05:44 AM
    Bought myself a Priv after using a Q10 for the last few years and had other Blackberries for years before then. Keyboard was the main selling point.

I bought the Priv because the support and software ecology for BB10 is slowly eroding (WhatsApp is fading out first and a lot of my social contacts are there) and I really want to support BB if they can maintain the BB 'experience' on an android platform. The Priv fails on this.

In all honesty? The priv is just a fancy android slab with a keyboard. Even this morning I picked up my old Q10 and the form factor and balance was just perfect. The 'stretch' on the Priv keyboard together with the touch sensitivity (that has been built in to the keyboard for some strange reason) causes frequent mistypes made worse by the 'top heavy' balance with the keyboard extended.

The contacts handling and device search on the Priv don't function as well as the Q10, neither does the hub.

I always said that a BB is a business phone/communication device first that can do other stuff, while android devices are entertainment systems that can also be used as phone. All just a question of focus.

So now I am exactly where I didn't want to be. I have a BB I am really happy with for work (Q10) which will slowly fade into the obscurity of 'no more support' and a personal android device (Priv) that just doesn't deliver the way a Blackberry always did. One of those indecisive sad acts looking 'needy' with 2 phones.

I am not saying the Priv isn't a quality device, it really is, but if you want my advice, stick with BB10 as long as you can. If you want to play games then get a tablet. The Priv isn't bad but it really is just another android slab to me.

I suppose I am pretty on the same page as Lacker20. An android with a physical keyboard is preferable to one without. The best of a bad bunch.

Oh, and one last thing. I am going to have to sell all of my shirts and buy ones with larger pockets so I don't sit on the Priv. I assume Passport owners will have already been through this learning curve...........
    Last edited by bu5hman; 09-30-16 at 06:21 AM.
    Lacker20 and mmcclure0453 like this.
    09-30-16 05:51 AM
    Currently owning a Priv, and thinking of getting another one just in case it would sold out

Bucky2016 likes this.
    09-30-16 05:55 AM
    I appreciate this response. I think I understand the differences among the phones at least on a technical basis. I should been clearer to sget the opinion of those who have used the Priv for a long time. I understand that experience is mixed??

Posted via CB10
    My BlackBerry experience is not as long as some. I switched to BlackBerry when the 9800 came out. Went to the 9810 and then got a PlayBook and moved to BB10 with the Z10 and thenm the Passport.

My experience is that the Priv more than delivers. The hub and BlackBerry apps work great. But you have realize that there is a trade off on some things. You may lose a function you like but gain one or two other functions that you have never had before.

Since switching to the Priv, I have transitioned from the BlackBerry Launcher to Nova Prime Launcher because the customization possibilities are greater. You do lose the pkb shortcuts, but I really didn't use them that often. However you do gain the ability to assign specific gestures to do certain tasks. I have moved from the BlackBerry Calendar to the Google one because of a work sharing need.

You don't have a native file manager, but a very good free one is put out by Asus (i think). There is a learning curve for settings and where things are and how to get them where you like them.

On Marshmallow the Priv runs smoothly. It does not overheat. I have also turned off animations which makes the transition of apps snappier. So far no lags.

My Priv is an AT&T version that I got on ebay for $299. The carrier has been good about updates and patches.

You can get the Priv cheap. Great value for the money. Or you can wait for the DTEK60 or even for the next pkb device. However we don't know when or if that will occur. My personal choice was obviously to make the move to the Priv back in June of this year. I have not regretted it.
    09-30-16 08:51 AM
    Could be the last full BlackBerry phone.... another reason.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 09:25 AM
    After using since launch + one day, I would definitely purchase again, and recommend it.
    But only for a Factory unlocked version.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-01-16 08:03 AM
    Depends on what you want. I like my Priv, coming from a Z30. The typing experience is great, both vkb and pkb. I had trouble with the pkb at first. But the more I use it the better I am with it.

The Dtek60 promises to have pretty good specs but will probably price out higher than the Priv with its current price discounts.

10-01-16 10:59 AM
    I picked up the PRIV on sale because I've noticed more and more of my go-to apps are disappearing from BlackBerry 10. It's a good compromise for those switching from BlackBerry 10.

There are things that I absolutely love:

1. Having a keyboard. Smaller than the Passport's, and it's something to get used to having a Classic style keyboard again, but it's MUCH better than the touchscreen.

2. It's zippy. Very smooth, I very crisp and I enjoy the overall UI of Android.

3. Big, bright screen. Only real used I've seen for the curved screen is that it gives the impression of a frameless screen while being framed.

There are also a few things that I don't really like:

1. No choice of LED colour for text messages. I've searched and searched and can't find anything in the stock settings to change the LED colour, and I don't want to have to download a third party app to control that function.

2. No media controls for the volume up and down buttons. I miss being able to use those buttons to change tracks and pause. Why would I simply want to mute a song without pausing it?

3. There's also no lock screen option on Google Play music for pausing and skipping, meaning I have to unlock my phone every time I want to change tracks. Yes I know I can download a third party app, but again, I shouldn't have to.

4. Lack of customizability on the quick settings when swiping down past the notification tray. Pretty much everything I need is there but I'd like the option to change things around. For an OS that is all about customizability, it's surprisingly rigid about certain things.

Overall I am liking it, but I miss BlackBerry 10. It's as good a compromise as I could have hoped for though gives me access to the apps I need and gives an overall good experience with a few bumps that I need to adapt to.

JB

10-01-16 11:16 AM
    I've had my AT&T Priv since launch it is a very good phone. The build quality of the PKB is not as good as the Passport's, but the scrolling features of the capacitive keyboard and the short cut key options work just as well. The software and security updates keep the phone working smoothly. The big difference from BB10 is the updated Android run time allows apps to run efficiently. I do wish Blend was updated for Android. Hopefully the software and security updates continue to allow the phone to keep yielding top performance.

10-01-16 11:29 AM
    I've had mine since launch (factory unlocked.)

I like it a lot and for the price today it's hard to argue with it. It's smooth, the keyboard is nice if you want to use it but doesn't get in the way if not, battery life is excellent and updates are in fact more-frequent than BB10 ever was.

It's Android, which isn't the best thought-out system, but for being Android it's excellent. It's all a ying and yang, when you get down to it, and IMHO the Priv is a compelling option at the current price. At its original price it was expensive, but then again what was expensive a year ago is almost-always much less today when it comes to technology.
    10-01-16 12:05 PM
    If you need a pkb then hell yeah. Priv is awesome with a stunning display

Posted via the handsome BlackBerry PRIV
    10-01-16 12:55 PM
    Simple answer yes. Had my priv a week now and yes it's not perfect as hub isn't quite as good yet etc but if they keep developing it as they have so far I don't think it will be too long before it is.

10-01-16 12:58 PM
    I picked up the PRIV on sale because I've noticed more and more of my go-to apps are disappearing from BlackBerry 10. It's a good compromise for those switching from BlackBerry 10.

There are things that I absolutely love:

1. Having a keyboard. Smaller than the Passport's, and it's something to get used to having a Classic style keyboard again, but it's MUCH better than the touchscreen.

2. It's zippy. Very smooth, I very crisp and I enjoy the overall UI of Android.

3. Big, bright screen. Only real used I've seen for the curved screen is that it gives the impression of a frameless screen while being framed.

There are also a few things that I don't really like:

1. No choice of LED colour for text messages. I've searched and searched and can't find anything in the stock settings to change the LED colour, and I don't want to have to download a third party app to control that function.

2. No media controls for the volume up and down buttons. I miss being able to use those buttons to change tracks and pause. Why would I simply want to mute a song without pausing it?

3. There's also no lock screen option on Google Play music for pausing and skipping, meaning I have to unlock my phone every time I want to change tracks. Yes I know I can download a third party app, but again, I shouldn't have to.

4. Lack of customizability on the quick settings when swiping down past the notification tray. Pretty much everything I need is there but I'd like the option to change things around. For an OS that is all about customizability, it's surprisingly rigid about certain things.

Overall I am liking it, but I miss BlackBerry 10. It's as good a compromise as I could have hoped for though gives me access to the apps I need and gives an overall good experience with a few bumps that I need to adapt to.

JB

You have to set the led colors in the text app you are using itself not the main phone settings

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    10-01-16 01:18 PM
    I have not had an issue at all with my priv other than verizon still won't keep us up to date on updates or give us marshmallow. Guess that's a verizon issue. I always used androids prior to bb10. Went from a z30 after a little over 2 year's back to android with a priv. I really like the phone. With BlackBerry flair it's the best android I've had. I wasn't a pkb user before but I've really grown to like it. I've never had over heating or battery issues since March. I'm not on it gaming or watching videos constantly but I do browse, text, read emails and phone calls pretty regularly. Doing that I get 12 hours min most days on my battery. I was sitting at 37% last night after 13 hours. I charged it up then. When I'm working I can't afford to let it go dead. I say get it. Great phone.

10-01-16 01:24 PM
    You have to set the led colors in the text app you are using itself not the main phone settings

Tried that, no dice.

JB

10-01-16 01:26 PM
    Personally, yes.
    10-01-16 01:37 PM
    There is a setting my wife's Priv has been set to flash different colors.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 01:49 PM
    Priv is awesome and unique. Dtek 60 sounds like a beast too so it really depends on us needs...i.e pkb

Posted via the handsome BlackBerry PRIV
    10-01-16 02:13 PM
    I'm a month into using my Verizon Priv. I'd say the phone is a good way to dip your toes into BlackBerry and Android. Don't expect it perform like a BB 10 device. Go in expecting to not know how it works and then you will be pleasantly surprised

10-01-16 06:45 PM
    I for one, finally ordered the Priv yesterday after almost a year of contemplating.

At first I couldn't justify the price as my passport was still working fine. Not being sure of the Android experience, I bought a Nextbit Robin thinking that I would be saving some money for the same specs as the Priv. However, the phone is mainly made of plastic and it ended up breaking after 4 months of use. I fired back the passport in hopes of being able to tough it out until the new physical keyboard comes out but the lack of apps on the passport after having had the android experience is quite obvious.
    However the typing experience is quite amazing, I simply cannot stand typing on a glass slab so even though the priv may not have the most recent specs (newest processor, most amount of Ram, fingerprint scanner-which I found convenient, and USB-C), the performance of the Robin was fine for my needs so I ultimately went with the Priv above all the new phones coming out.

I guess it really comes down to PKB or not, at least for me...
    Ive mirrored your path almost exactly! Bought my beloved Passport off contract, couldn't justify the crazy off contract price of the Priv when it first came out. Bought a Nextbit Robin to get back into Android, and have been really disappointed with the build quality, though mine is still working right now. Probably going to buy a Priv, assuming the Google Pixel phone announcement in a few days isn't revolutionary (doesn't look like it will be at the moment)

10-01-16 07:04 PM
    Ive mirrored your path almost exactly! Bought my beloved Passport off contract, couldn't justify the crazy off contract price of the Priv when it first came out. Bought a Nextbit Robin to get back into Android, and have been really disappointed with the build quality, though mine is still working right now. Probably going to buy a Priv, assuming the Google Pixel phone announcement in a few days isn't revolutionary (doesn't look like it will be at the moment)

My spouse had the Nexus 6P since last November. It really is a great phone with regular updates...even considered being on a carrier contract (telus). Her phone is already on Nougat. I was looking into the new Pixel phones but they are more than likely to be very expensive. Although it may have better specs, I think I value more a pkb than having a vkb.

Aside from the poor build quality, the battery life has been horrendous for me on the Robin. It became standard to carry a powerbank or charging cable with me. Added to the fact that I could not pair my phone with car via bluetooth nor even play music via the aux jack in the car. I realized the grass isn't greener on the other side lol

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 07:26 PM
    I'd recommend it over the dtek60 that's for sure!

#workwide #OG Black
    andy957 likes this.
    10-01-16 09:54 PM
52 123