I'm thinking of buying a Tmobile Blackberry Priv that has been unlocked but I want to use it with At&t. Has anyone done this and knows if it is possible? Will I get full features, like LTE, MMS, etc if so?
    05-16-16 01:51 PM
    Yes, it will work on the network, but there's one feature you won't get unless you have an AT&T Priv: voice over LTE (voLTE) and HD voice--the combination which AT&T is calling "Enhanced LTE." Apparently, these two features are available only on AT&T branded Privs, even though they are the same model as the TMO and ShopBB unlocked Privs.
    05-16-16 02:03 PM
    Yes; you will not get HDVoice or VoLTE on a non-branded device. The phone is capable of it, but AT&T whitelists their IMEIs for it (along with a bunch of other stuff that's SIM controlled like manual network selection.)
    05-16-16 02:09 PM
    Yes; you will not get HDVoice or VoLTE on a non-branded device. The phone is capable of it, but AT&T whitelists their IMEIs for it (along with a bunch of other stuff that's SIM controlled like manual network selection.)
    It's IMEI controlled? Any idea then if dummy IMEI provisioning (with an AT&T Priv's IMEI) works?
    05-16-16 02:10 PM
    How about updates, OS and security patches? I've heard that in order to get updates on an AT&T priv you need a carrier some card. Is it the same for tmobile as well, I'll need a two sim just to update?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-16-16 02:18 PM
    Is it the same for tmobile as well, I'll need a two sim just to update?
    According to what I have read, yes.
    05-16-16 08:27 PM
    It's IMEI controlled? Any idea then if dummy IMEI provisioning (with an AT&T Priv's IMEI) works?
    It apparently is, and provisioning with an AT&T Priv's IMEI (then swapping the SIM into the other phone) will NOT work.

I am running a factory unlocked Priv on AT&T's network and it functions just fine, but there is no evidence of IMS support at all -- along with the usual AT&T shenanigan of disabling manual network search and selection.
    raino likes this.
    05-16-16 08:54 PM
    It apparently is, and provisioning with an AT&T Priv's IMEI (then swapping the SIM into the other phone) will NOT work.

I am running a factory unlocked Priv on AT&T's network and it functions just fine, but there is no evidence of IMS support at all -- along with the usual AT&T shenanigan of disabling manual network search and selection.
    Thanks for the first hand report.

Coupled with the updates situation--that you can't update an AT&T Priv via a generic -1 autoloader; you brick your phone--I wonder if there's more to it than just IMEI checks?
    05-16-16 09:19 PM
    It appears that AT&T has replaced the standard Googleplex update system with their own. That's particularly evil and arguably an illegal tied sale attempt, which is pretty much the same sort of crap that got them in hot water for refusing to unlock devices.
    05-16-16 10:13 PM
    Is it possible for a hard reset to eliminate AT&T's garbage from the phone, thus making it capable of receiving software updates regardless of what network we use??
    05-17-16 01:15 AM
    Is it possible for a hard reset to eliminate AT&T's garbage from the phone, thus making it capable of receiving software updates regardless of what network we use??
    Not possible for now
    05-17-16 02:18 AM
    Yes, it will work on the network, but there's one feature you won't get unless you have an AT&T Priv: voice over LTE (voLTE) and HD voice--the combination which AT&T is calling "Enhanced LTE." Apparently, these two features are available only on AT&T branded Privs, even though they are the same model as the TMO and ShopBB unlocked Privs.
    All the features will work if the phone is registered with AT&T. The key is the phone must be registered to the account.
    07-16-17 09:49 AM
    The STV-1, in addition has all LTE bands used by all NA carriers. They did a good job with that.
    07-16-17 02:51 PM