The Priv is out! And appears to be selling well. But is it selling enough?

Food for thought, and keep in mind it's just a long speculation . The units sold should now be available to BlackBerry and estimates should soon reach consumers from third party sellers. The numbers we see here matter significantly and may show the future of BlackBerry. So, what do we want to see in the numbers?

Well, Chen has alluded previously they need to continually sell approx 4x the volume of phones to stay in the handset market. In addition, they know first hand that flagship releases typically have declining purchases on future models... for example. BB10 was selling its best at the BB10 launch, with the Z still having the largest BB10 userbase. And even in extremely rare circumstances, companies like Apple that have out sold the initial launch sales, typically does so by a very narrow margin.

What does this mean and why does it matter?

Blogs have been estimating BlackBerry needs to sell 5 million Priv units to stay alive, but that's not entirely true. They need to do so every year. In fact, BlackBerry needs to target 4x the volume of what they sold from BB10 - consistently - to buck the declining sales from the launch. They need their phones 3 years from now to still have 4x the sales. Fortunately, we have a trend with BlackBerry sales already and we can use this as a reference.

So. If we want to feel confident that the BlackBerry handset division will be here in 3 years time... What we really need to know is...

...did the Priv outsell the Z10? And if so, was it by 4x?

Fingers crossed . It's. A tense time right now with a lot of opinions. And regardless of opinions it's fascinating to watch a company go through this kind of change. What do you think? Did it hit the sales mark?

Posted to CB via my Passport | Lloyd Summers | FileArchiveHaven
    11-11-15 04:47 PM
    Also known as my random thought of the day.

11-11-15 04:48 PM
    Didn't chen say he needs to sell 5mil 'devices' to keep the hardware division? Which is only 1.6mil more than last year?
    John Doe99 likes this.
    11-11-15 04:50 PM
    Didn't chen say he needs to sell 5mil 'devices' to keep the hardware division? Which is only 1.6mil more than last year?
    I think that's kinda my point though... If you want to go that route, the last quarter also reported only 800,000 units sold. This is what the problem is, blogs report they only need to sell 5m devices this year. But reality is they need at least 5m every year.

I expect sales are high enough the handset division will survive this year . However I'm not as confident their sales were significant enough to overcome the natural sales decline over the next two years.

Last edited by KermEd; 11-11-15 at 05:32 PM.
    11-11-15 05:12 PM
    There's an interesting article on the number of Priv's sold based on Google Play status.
    BlackBerry sold under 50,000 Priv units, Play Store data suggests - Android Authority

As long as Android keep BlackBerry alive it's cool... but not great.
    02-13-16 01:32 PM
    It's all speculation up to this point on the actual sales numbers of the Priv. I am also hoping they sell enough to justify the survival of the hardware division, but the next quarterly report should tell the tale.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-13-16 02:33 PM
    I think that's kinda my point though... If you want to go that route, the last quarter also reported only 800,000 units sold. This is what the problem is, blogs report they only need to sell 5m devices this year. But reality is they need at least 5m every year.

I expect sales are high enough the handset division will survive this year . However I'm not as confident their sales were significant enough to overcome the natural sales decline over the next two years.

That is why BB needs to release two new phones at least every year with innovation and high specs to keep up with the competition. don't forget BB is now playing in the Android field.
    the next quarterly results should give great indication of where this is headed.
    02-13-16 06:52 PM