The better comparison would be with the Sony Xperia Z5. Both were released around the same time and have almost the same specs, but the prices are way off.
    Yup, totally blew it on the price. Of course the PKB and designing the Slider would have upped the cost of manufacture obviously. But they priced themselves out of the market. Better to have released the Priv sans pkb and better front facing camera imho. And I am a PKB fan.

Posted via CB10
    wirelessgal likes this.
    04-22-16 03:46 PM
    I'm quite aware of BlackBerry's history. However, Chen is not helping BlackBerry by saying the Priv is over priced, which it is. Do you see Tim Cook saying their iPhones are overpriced, which they are. No CEO should ever make that comment. And now this whole BBM and the RCMP is making BlackBerry look really bad. I have been rooting for BlackBerry since the Curve days and will continue to. But something major has got to change or they will be out of the handset business.
    I think Apple is definitely starting to feel the pinch from Android though. I personally believe you're going to see Apple's share of mobile continue to shrink as Android grows. My guess is they'll bottom out around 8 - 10% in the next few years.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-16 03:55 PM
    I own both.

Where the Priv is stronger :
    - Slider keyboard
    - BB apps, launcher and hub

Where the S7 Edge completely crushes Priv
    - Build quality
    - Hardware specs
    Let's fix that HUB, Apps issue.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...uired-1059855/

I have not looked back from the S7.
    04-22-16 04:08 PM
    I just want to know how to get BlackBerry Hub on S7!
    Posted via CB10
    http://forums.crackberry.com/android...uired-1059855/
    04-22-16 04:09 PM
    The Priv kills the S7. I don't need paragraphs to explain it. The only thing better about the S7 is the water resistance, otherwise it's still just another Samsung device.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-22-16 05:18 PM
    Maybe the S8 will remove the SD card slot and the S9 will bring it back (again). One can only hope! I won't be back for any replies, as I usually just ignore them, just like you should ignore me.

Now I'm off to find a forum for a specific product, create an account, and start posting in that forum about how other products are much better and why for no real reason. Well, except maybe for the attention and useless discussion generated regarding the topic. Cya!

04-22-16 05:19 PM
    Not to be selfish but I hope that BB closes access to its unique features to other devices or offers them for sale. My selfish take is that they won't be around or improved if BB throws in the device towel and if folks go to other devices because they can get the hub/virtual keyboard just as easy as Priv owners.
    04-22-16 05:23 PM
    Not to be selfish but I hope that BB closes access to its unique features to other devices or offers them for sale. My selfish take is that they won't be around or improved if BB throws in the device towel and if folks go to other devices because they can get the hub/virtual keyboard just as easy as Priv owners.
    This. We're all selfish broheemz, don't worry about it!

04-22-16 05:25 PM
    I've got an S7 and all I do with it is dunk it in water everyday hoping it will sprout root while using my Priv for actual stuff.

04-22-16 05:27 PM
    I own both.

Where the Priv is stronger :
    - Slider keyboard
    - BB apps, launcher and hub

Where the S7 Edge completely crushes Priv
    - Build quality
    - Hardware specs

Batterylife on the S7 was also WAY better until I upgraded the Priv to Marshmallow. Now they are equally excellent with regard to battery life (not surprising given that battery size and screen size are identical). Marshmallow really does wonders for battery life.

So until Blackberry stop being "cheap" on specs and hardware on their socalled flagship phones, I try to get the best of both worlds by running the BB apps and hub on the S7. Simply because the joy of carrying such build quality combined with how much more "snappy" it's performance make me sacrifice the joy of the keyboard.

What frustrates me is that if Blackberry simply had put another 25-30 $ of HW costs into the Priv (better screen, better processor, more premium materials), they would have a truly spectacular product in the Priv (the type of build quality they had in the Passport Silver Edition).

I just do not understand why they time and time again "shoot themselves in the foot" by underpowering their phones.

I am fairly certain that a "Blackberry Priv" design with S7 specs and close to BB Porsche Design build quality would dominate the top end of the market together with iPhones (many in that segment will simply never leave IOS). Such a phone may cost BB 50-100 $ more to build, but would sell in way larger quantities, even with a 100-150 $ higher price point.

Of course there is also a large potential for BB in 450 $ mid market. But Blackberry need to learn - and learn fast - that in the 750-950 $ market they simply cannot compromise on specs, materials and build quality if they are to succeed. The market of those who are willing to pay such prices just for the physical keyboard and superior SW tweaks is simply not large enough. (especially now that we can have the SW on any competing Android device, and get a "better Blackberry" from other manufacturers than Blackberry).
    the thing is, if changed the badge of both phones to Samsung Priv and Blackberry S7, the Samsung Priv would sell 100x more
    FF22 and orbazan like this.
    04-22-16 05:52 PM
    the thing is, if changed the badge of both phones to Samsung Priv and Blackberry S7, the Samsung Priv would sell 100x more
    I think you have a point.
    04-22-16 05:57 PM
    Samsung has better distribution and marketing.

If the PRIV were launched simultaneously on all the major carriers in major markets worldwide and had a marketing campaign that actually made sense, it may have fared better.

Oh yeah, and the launch price of the PRIV was way too high. Even Chen admits that.

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    Totally agreed!
    04-22-16 06:16 PM
    The S7 is a nice device but it's not much different than the Priv as far as quality and performance goes. All devices have a glitch or two none are perfect.

04-22-16 06:47 PM
    Do you think Apple or a dozen other companies wouldn't like to have another Steve Jobs?

Steve's attention wasn't focused on marketing or PR... it was on what made a product better for the customer. How they Apple could do that and set themselves apart from the competition.... and do it and make money.

BlackBerry's focus is on security.... they are so out of touch with the general customer, it's not even funny. Chen basically going golly I guess we made the PRIV too premium, just shows how little they understand. It's not that the PRIV was too premium, it was that the PRIV was too expensive... there is a difference. And that difference will follow them to midrange devices, IF they choose to release any.
    Chen needs to realize that security is out the Window where Android is concerned. The Priv is the most secured Android, but we all know it's not as secured as their Legacy and BB10 devices. Yes I agree and I've said it over and over again, the Priv is priced way too high. By now they should have dropped the price considering there are better flagship devices out right now and soon the HTC 10 will be released.

Well, John did say they will be releasing 2 mid-range devices. Now it's a matter of when and how much. And they really need the price them carefully this time.
    04-22-16 07:00 PM
    Yup, totally blew it on the price. Of course the PKB and designing the Slider would have upped the cost of manufacture obviously. But they priced themselves out of the market. Better to have released the Priv sans pkb and better front facing camera imho. And I am a PKB fan.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. It would be interesting to see how they price the mid-range Androids. IMO, they need to release them in the summer. Kids are going back to school, they need a new phone, perfect timing. If they wait until Fall, the spotlight will be on the new iPhones (boring) and the Note 6. Even though they are high end phones, the stores will have iPhone posters plastered all over the place. That's what BlackBerry needs to do. They need to put a BIG poster with their new devices "BlackBerry the most secured Android Smartphone".
    04-22-16 07:06 PM
    I think Apple is definitely starting to feel the pinch from Android though. I personally believe you're going to see Apple's share of mobile continue to shrink as Android grows. My guess is they'll bottom out around 8 - 10% in the next few years.

Posted via CB10
    Oh they already have. Apple ran out of ideas long ago. They keep coming out with the same boring OS. Google on the other hand continues to make changes to every major OS update. I have seen the change since I first used an Android phone. From Cupcake up until Marshmallow and it keeps getting better and better. Apple on the other hand hasn't done anything significant from the first iPhone. Another reason why iPhones sells so well is because most celebrities has an iPhone. So, a lot of people just follow what the celebs buy. But I'm starting to see Android devices on TV shows as oppose to iPhones, so that's a good thing.
    xdavekillyoux likes this.
    04-22-16 07:14 PM
    Oh they already have. Apple ran out of ideas long ago. They keep coming out with the same boring OS. Google on the other hand continues to make changes to every major OS update. I have seen the change since I first used an Android phone. From Cupcake up until Marshmallow and it keeps getting better and better. Apple on the other hand hasn't done anything significant from the first iPhone. Another reason why iPhones sells so well is because most celebrities has an iPhone. So, a lot of people just follow what the celebs buy. But I'm starting to see Android devices on TV shows as oppose to iPhones, so that's a good thing.
    It used to be that every celebrity has a BlackBerry...

For a while people here keep referring other phones as glass slates, but look at the 3 major flagship glass slate phones: S7 Edge, G5, 10... they are all so much better than last years phone. That's the power of keeping pushing boundaries.

I wish BlackBerry can keep up because they do have unique strength in their offerings. But so far their efforts are all capped somehow, compromised.

This time HTC came back with a strong offering, pretty much no compromise... Torned between 10 and s7e.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    04-22-16 08:16 PM
    You of course forgot to mention that S7 has a 12 MP rear camera and Priv has a 18MP camera.

Priv owner since Nov 6th 2015
    Megapixels mean nothing. The S7 takes far better pictures than the Priv.
    04-22-16 08:40 PM
    Everyone is correct about what BlackBerry does wrong. But in my opinion its the Brand that is damaged. BlackBerry just isn't cool anymore. If BlackBerry was the "in thing" marketing wouldn't matter as much. People spread the word and people that want to be cool find the product... Marketing or not. That may have been the problem, back before 2007 BlackBerry probably didn't have to market...everyone knew what a BlackBerry was and wanted. It.
    04-22-16 10:20 PM
    Screen size on S7 edge is actually smaller than Priv in width by about 15%. One reason I like the Priv better for movies, games , pictures etc. You of course forgot to mention that S7 has a 12 MP rear camera and Priv has a 18MP camera.
    Priv on MM is now a better productive OS because of the BlackBerry Productivity apps.

Priv owner since Nov 6th 2015
    Camera on the S7 is much better than the Priv.

Agree with the OP about the Priv's build quality. In no way can it be called premium these days.

Other then that, it's a bit harsh comparing a last gen flagship with a current gen flagship.
    04-22-16 10:58 PM
    I agree with everything he just said, I dont believe blackberry are going all in for the hardware division, putting in an 820 chipset with s7 specs would have been a line topper, also had it launched with marshmallow I think that would have sealed it's revival,

I wonder who makes all these decisions,

There's no marketing from blackberry,

Here in south africa when I pulled out my passport people still ask me what phone is that? Is that a blackberry? Wow. It looks lovely, how much is it?

Things like that blackberry needs to fix,

But then again with their budget and financial stress I can't see them coming out of the bush,

Hate to say it, but it's better if blackberry just sell off their hardware business to a company that actually wants to go big,

Samsung or Microsoft should buy it and turn blackberry into a division of there's so its brand carrys more weight.

Just my 5 cents.
    04-23-16 07:02 AM
    Agreed. It would be interesting to see how they price the mid-range Androids. IMO, they need to release them in the summer. Kids are going back to school, they need a new phone, perfect timing. If they wait until Fall, the spotlight will be on the new iPhones (boring) and the Note 6. Even though they are high end phones, the stores will have iPhone posters plastered all over the place. That's what BlackBerry needs to do. They need to put a BIG poster with their new devices "BlackBerry the most secured Android Smartphone".
    Sadly, at this point I'm guessing they'll miss on a summer release, price it too high and there won't be any advertising.
    04-23-16 07:46 AM
    Yeah, I'll be curious to see what Apple drops in iOS 10 (iOS X ha). Google definitely leapfrogged them around Jellybean, imo. With the increasing improvements to the Android OS, the low prices on some models are convincing some iPhone users to look again despite the celebrity cache. I like competition so hopefully Apple can step things up and add customisation (among other things) to keep up. But, they're increasingly looking like BlackBerry in 2009 to me in their "we know better" attitude. Just my personal feeling though.
    04-23-16 07:52 AM
    Why are we even discussing this? It comes down to a very simple thing "marketing", Apple and Samsung are the masters of it while blackberry are the absolute worst,blackberrry make amazing phones but nobody knows about it, is that simple.

It's not just marketing. It's also actually good build quality, good internal hardware, and a great camera module.

The Priv lacks in every respect at this point. BlackBerry couldn't even get the card trays right.
    04-23-16 08:18 AM
    Another big problem is the brand image of Blackberry,
    People, especially younger folks think of Blackberry users as old school, unable to adapt.
    04-23-16 09:04 AM
158 12345 ...