Indeed, it was pretty obvious it would be AMOLED when we saw the charging indicator leaked. Running an entire LCD display just for a charging indicator would be hugely inefficient, while AMOLED can just turn on the individual pixels necessary to display it.

Something I was concerned about when I saw them touting this feature - turning on the whole display in order to see a battery indicator??

The Z30 had a great amoled display: it had a traditional subpixel arrangement, but a lower reported pixel density.

However, the Q10 had an awful amoled display: a pentile subpixel arrangement that necessitates sharing subpixels with adjacent pixels, effectively lowering resolution, and also causing nausea. The reported resolution is lower than the actual resolution (this is Samsung's design, and what the Priv will be using).

I loved the Z30's screen, but hated the Q10's screen.

I've also seen a lot of Q10 owners reporting horrible burn-in problems with the Q10 over time. While this is a known issue with OLED displays (and the reason why the Q10 shipped with a special "dark theme" that was not available to the LCD devices, to try to mitigate it) I wonder how much of an issue this was with the Z30?

I sure hope the Priv doesn't suffer from the burn-in issue. Especially with the static stuff like that battery display. (Though I hear, and it seems reasonable, that the edge of such displays is pretty much useless anyway for regular material, since the curve heavily distorts anything that extends past the flat section)
    10-22-15 05:48 PM
    Something I was concerned about when I saw them touting this feature - turning on the whole display in order to see a battery indicator??

I've also seen a lot of Q10 owners reporting horrible burn-in problems with the Q10 over time. While this is a known issue with OLED displays (and the reason why the Q10 shipped with a special "dark theme" that was not available to the LCD devices, to try to mitigate it) I wonder how much of an issue this was with the Z30?

I sure hope the Priv doesn't suffer from the burn-in issue. Especially with the static stuff like that battery display. (Though I hear, and it seems reasonable, that the edge of such displays is pretty much useless anyway for regular material, since the curve heavily distorts anything that extends past the flat section)
    The Dark theme is for power consumption, the pixels turn off when displaying completely black colours hence the power saving.

The Screen burn in is something I suffered with very badly on my old Nokia N8, the trick is to keep the pixels moving; static things like a battery indicator or Toolbsr of a favourite App are the worst (I had the opera mini bottom Toolbar burned into my screen)

Posted via CB10 v....not telling
    10-22-15 05:57 PM
    The Screen burn in is something I suffered with very badly on my old Nokia N8, the trick is to keep the pixels moving; static things like a battery indicator or Toolbsr of a favourite App are the worst (I had the opera mini bottom Toolbar burned into my screen)

Yes but apparently common UI elements are often causing it in the cases I've seen, elements which are not controllable by the end user.

This is what we used to have desktop "screensavers" for - if the system sat idle for a while, a moving screensaver would help to avoid this.

But if the device is on a lot and in use, along with unmovable UI elements, then there's not much you can do, except perhaps (on an OLED screen) turn down the brightness.
    10-22-15 06:11 PM
    Am I the only one who doesn't like their brightness above 1/4
    eldricho likes this.
    10-22-15 06:13 PM
    Nope, I am 100% with you on that. I have always kept my phones like this. I hate overly bright screens.
    10-22-15 06:19 PM
    Nope, brightness always all the way down on phones
    Only turn it up when I lend the device to someone

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 09:01 PM
    I usually have my brightness set just over half. I'm told the Z30 is supposed to adjust to the light around you (unless that's not true), but it's always too bright in a dark room, even if I turn it all the way down.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 09:14 PM
    Nope, brightness always all the way down on phones
    Only turn it up when I lend the device to someone

Posted via CB10
    Same here. This is another reason I hated the Q10's screen. It was entirely too bright at the lowest setting.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-15 09:37 PM
    Yeah my q10 brightness isn't that good, I keep it at lower because it doesn't make different if it's on half or lower + it takes much more battery than other displays

CB10�Q10SQN100-3/10.3.2.2639
    10-22-15 11:27 PM
    On amoleds such as the Galaxy's? I love it! I can read anything on my Note 4
    10-23-15 12:06 AM
    the brightest screen that was the best in daylight was the playbook. I could read that outside on a blue summer day.
    10-23-15 12:20 AM
    That's awesome to hear. Since switching to the Z30 I've been in love with Amoled and hope to never go back. These colours are so crisp.

Posted via CB10
    I not sure what you define as crisp. I have no issue with the screen on the Z30 but using a Z10 after a Z30 the Z10 screen always seem more vibrant and crisp to me.

Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2639
    10-23-15 12:55 AM
    the brightest screen that was the best in daylight was the playbook. I could read that outside on a blue summer day.

Extra-bright screen setting for outdoors is a feature they are touting on the Priv, BTW.
    10-23-15 01:48 AM
    The Priv display will be of such a high density that I doubt the issues associated with Samsung's Pentile Subpixel Arrangement will be at all
    noticeable. That's if the Priv display is the very same one used in the S6 Edge.

I just think it's disingenuous to note a 500+ pixel density as a selling point when so many subpixels are shared between "pixels." The display has a lot of pixels, but not all that many subpixels...it's kind of a funny situation. The quality of each pixel is low, but you have so many of them that it doesn't matter. Good example: the Classic appears to have a sharper screen than the Q10 (to my eyes), despite the fact that the Classic has a lower pixel density than the Q10 (they both had resolutions of 720x720).

Posted via CB10
    Based on size its not S6 edge, its LG.
    10-23-15 02:13 AM
39 12