Not just for my Priv, but for other android devices as well. Can someone actually explain to me why it takes so long for a major software update to come to other devices? I truly do not understand. You'd think it would take a few days for other manufacturers to do their tweaks. Not weeks. Not months, lol.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-06-16 07:48 PM
    Google had some battery life issues with the initial official Nougat rollout to Nexus plus there is always other bugs that get rolled into an 7.0X bugfix release. OEMs are guessing its just better to wait and push everything at once rather than go thru their internal processes again and then to carriers . BB has additional security validation steps that probably hang it up too. Maybe if they wait long enough you'll get 7.1 which will debut with the new Pixel.
    10-06-16 07:59 PM
    It takes a long time for carriers to test each release for each phone. And that's after they get it from the manufacturer who, honestly, would rather sell you a new device.

Of course BlackBerry Android is very different, as it takes a lot more work (about 4-6 months working with Google) to harden it.
    yvpan1, BergerKing and bakron1 like this.
    10-06-16 08:02 PM
    OP imagine being a Verizon priv user

posted via the last true BlackBerry
    10-06-16 08:48 PM
    well, i'm not expecting the N to arrive until the end of this year UNLESS the build is stable enough, otherwise i'd better stick with the grown up builds of the M.
    10-06-16 10:59 PM
    OP imagine being a Verizon priv user

posted via the last true BlackBerry
    Couldn't possibly imagine!! My priv was terrible when I first got it running lollipop. Its battery life was awful and if over heated often. After updating to marshmallow it became my daily phone again. Battery issues were solved and the phone rarely gets hot anymore.

10-07-16 12:38 AM
    Not just for my Priv, but for other android devices as well. Can someone actually explain to me why it takes so long for a major software update to come to other devices? I truly do not understand. You'd think it would take a few days for other manufacturers to do their tweaks. Not weeks. Not months, lol.

Imagine owning a Google Pixel phone but your carrier is Verizon. You'll never get updates. An the sad thing is you can't buy it from Google and put it on the Verizon network. Only a Google Pixel phone bought from Verizon will work
    10-07-16 09:02 AM
    Imagine owning a Google Pixel phone but your carrier is Verizon. You'll never get updates. An the sad thing is you can't buy it from Google and put it on the Verizon network. Only a Google Pixel phone bought from Verizon will work
    Dunno where you came up with this. Of course you can purchase an unlocked device from Google and use it on VZW. Verizon no longer requires you to use one of their devices, as that changed a couple/few years ago.
    10-07-16 09:37 AM
    Two articles cited in other threads suggest that is not true. You can purchase from Google and use it on Verizon. Don't have the citations at the moment.
    10-07-16 10:19 AM
    Dunno where you came up with this. Of course you can purchase an unlocked device from Google and use it on VZW. Verizon no longer requires you to use one of their devices, as that changed a couple/few years ago.
    The problem is many a Verizon customer doesn't know this and do not want to pay the full price for a device when they can do monthly installments. Many of those people have no idea VZW sucks swampwater when it comes to releasing updates and security patches to one of their locked phones. They don't know the value of an unlocked device. Sad state of affairs, isn't it.
    10-07-16 10:23 AM
    The problem is many a Verizon customer doesn't know this and do not want to pay the full price for a device when they can do monthly installments. Many of those people have no idea VZW sucks swampwater when it comes to releasing updates and security patches to one of their locked phones. They don't know the value of an unlocked device. Sad state of affairs, isn't it.
    I think one of the articles someone linked, says that Google has some kind of installment payment plan and that their insurance may be less than Verizon's.
    10-07-16 11:11 AM
    Two articles cited in other threads suggest that is not true. You can purchase from Google and use it on Verizon. Don't have the citations at the moment.
    It actually is true for the Google Pixel phone. Hence why Verizon is the exclusive carrier of the Pixel phone. Tons of articles on Google plus stating this. It also comes with Verizon bloatware
    10-07-16 11:17 AM
    So Verizon is going to let Google update the Pixel directly without Verizon's involvement? If so, what a boon to the Pixel and a kick in the teeth to BlackBerry who can't get or afford that kind of carrier cooperation.
    chuckiev79 likes this.
    10-07-16 11:26 AM
    So Verizon is going to let Google update the Pixel directly without Verizon's involvement? If so, what a boon to the Pixel and a kick in the teeth to BlackBerry who can't get or afford that kind of carrier cooperation.
    Google probably threatened to buy Verizon!!!
    10-07-16 11:44 AM
    Nope. Verizon will be in charge of all updates.
    10-07-16 12:01 PM
    I doubt that Priv will get N. Just sayin.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-16 12:11 PM
    It actually is true for the Google Pixel phone. Hence why Verizon is the exclusive carrier of the Pixel phone. Tons of articles on Google plus stating this. It also comes with Verizon bloatware
    Not it isn't true. The only exclusive Verizon has is the ability to carry and sell the device in their stores. You can still purchase unlocked from Google and activate it on VZW (actually very simple, just swap in your nano-sim). VZW users can purchase either from VZW or from Google store, and both offer monthly payment plans.

VZW dropped the requirement for Verizon Branded phones quite some time back.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-07-16 12:22 PM
    Not it isn't true. The only exclusive Verizon has is the ability to carry and sell the device in their stores. You can still purchase unlocked from Google and activate it on VZW (actually very simple, just swap in your nano-sim). VZW users can purchase either from VZW or from Google store, and both offer monthly payment plans.

I'm just going off what I read on several Google Plus news feeds. It stated that Verizon has the exclusive selling rights to the Pixel. No other carrier can sell them as of now. It also stated that you can't just buy it from the Google and place it on Verizon network. ALL updates would be sent out from Verizon and not Google.
    10-07-16 12:42 PM

Too bad that BB did not go that route. ShopBB does not sell the Verizon model unfortunately.
    10-07-16 12:46 PM
    Too bad that BB did not go that route. ShopBB does not sell the Verizon model unfortunately.
    Verizon won't let them.
    10-07-16 01:08 PM
    Nope. Verizon will be in charge of all updates.
    According to Google, security updates will be handled solely by Google. Verizon will control version updates for devices bought through them and Best Buy.
    10-07-16 01:41 PM
    I could swear a while back that AC had an article that showed that the Priv works when you drop a VZW nano-sim into it.
    10-07-16 01:46 PM
    I'm just going off what I read on several Google Plus news feeds. It stated that Verizon has the exclusive selling rights to the Pixel. No other carrier can sell them as of now. It also stated that you can't just buy it from the Google and place it on Verizon network. ALL updates would be sent out from Verizon and not Google.
    Don't buy your Google Pixel from Verizon | Android Central

The only point in that article that I question is whether WiFi/HD-Voice calling works, as other (newer) unlocked devices can use those features. So that remains to be seen.
    10-07-16 01:49 PM
    Verizon did not stop BlackBerry from building CDMA phones and selling them... maybe with the CDMA phones that Verizon agreed to sell on their network... and probably had to pickup the cost of having them made. But the DTEK50 and DTEK60 could have be built and sold just like the Nexus phones last year and these Pixel phones. BlackBerry didn't wan't to risk it.

Pixel comes with a CDMA chipset, so any PIXEL (sold in the US market) will work on Verizon and will have no issues.

Those phones sold by Verizon will be limited to Verizon issuing the "features updates", but Google will push out directly the security updates. (an improvement)

As for those that want to finance their purchases...Google Store will do that for the same no interest plan as Verizon. Only benefit with going Verizon would be their offer of $300 Trade-In on "select" phones (which probably isn't all that great).

I expect that enterprise would rather buy via Verizon (as they'll still get a subsidy), and many consumers that are just use to buying that way... well continue to.
    10-07-16 02:10 PM
    According to Google, security updates will be handled solely by Google. Verizon will control version updates for devices bought through them and Best Buy.
    I just read that too. I stand corrected. I'm hoping the part about were you can only buy a Pixel phone for Verizon through Verizon is false
    10-07-16 02:17 PM
36 12